Notices

Class of June 2011 Part Two

Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CherryD View Post
True Coloradan right there. I'd have tamales for breakfast any day.

Thanks everyone I'll stick around here. I love this group.
Glad you are sticking it out with us Cherry. We all need each other.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Pizza for breakfast, eggs for dinner, chips and salsa for a bedtime snack...nothing weird...it's what you want to eat - so go for it!

Every one sounds strong minded today. That's good - keep at it.

I'm working from home today, so I'll keep checking in - otherwise, later I'll go "whoa - lots to read!". We are a bunch of busy bees, aren't we?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

On to the gazpatcho next! yum....
Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I'm OK

Hi guys - We are flying out to AZ for the weekend so I probably won't be posting..but I'll try and check in if I can. This is a lifeline for me!

Well I can put my worries to rest and not bring it up again...but for the grace of God - my labs are ok. I burst into tears in the office when the Dr. told me my results. B-12 a little low (go figure) and liver within normal range but could go a bit lower to be at optimum healthy. I have truly been given a second chance. A month ago I thought I was near death. I go back in one month just to make sure all will be well after some more time. I almost feel like I didn't deserve this - that I deserved to have complications from what I put my body through these past few years. I'm not a sickly person - I just would sit and obsess over webmd and self-diagnosis. I'm staying away from that stuff going forward and just calling the doc.

Cherry I'm so glad you are sticking with us.

Happy birthday Kopfan!

Happy Canada day!

Yesterday I made a lovely thai meal for my friend to drop off at his house for his birthday (he loves thai food). I have never spent over 2 hours in the kitchen cooking an awesome meal without my big bottomless glass of wine. It was a trigger for sure. That one is going to take awhile to shake, I believe. I powered through it.

This weekend will be a big test of strength for me but with you guys behind me, I know I can do this.

Thanks for all of your posts, guys. I love this group! Have a great weekend and be safe - happy that the roads will have at least a few less people drinking on them.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Bratnik - how I can relate to drinking while cooking. I loved having a big cocktail going when cooking. Made me more creative, right? I love to cook, but now I can put my whole mind into it. I've really learned so much about different herbs and such in the past couple years and it brings me a lot of enjoyment. But, I think it will be more often and better now sober. Can't tell you the amount of times, I'd set something to thaw for dinner, and when it was time to cook, I was too loaded to give a crap about eating...or I wanted a greasy bar burger because I didn't care what I ate, which is not me.

AND HOORAY ON A GOOD DOCTOR'S APPT! Now you can relax about that part, and enjoy your sober weekend!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buelah View Post
Can't tell you the amount of times, I'd set something to thaw for dinner, and when it was time to cook, I was too loaded to give a crap about eating...
lol.. I know this. Started drinking while cooking, and even halfway through I'd just lose interest and I'd put 50%-ready meals in the fridge to finish the day after.
So sad if you think about it.

I just went for my first run. Bought running shoes and all and following a schedule online. I've always wanted to do this but, like any idea, remained frozen while I was drinking so often. Feeling very content about this, but boy am I out of shape!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

I hear ya Beulah
My brother and his GF just showed up unannounced.. of course with a case of beer. He took one out of the case and handed it to me. I looked like a deer in the headlights. I am still shaking. Well, 2 hours later and countless Starburst candies I am here. My brother is drunk on my deck acting like a fool. I am hiding in my house shaking like a leaf.....GOD give me STRENGTH
Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Tueday - I'm sending you all the cyber support I have. You have already done the hardest part, refusing that first beer. Hang tough. Don't waste the past 3 days of hard earned sobriety just because your brother came over.

Drink a lemonade, a glass of water, pop the tab on a soda and hear the pffft and enjoy the gurgle down your throat.

But push the beer away. You can do it.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

I hate to say it, part of me laughs hysterically at some of the things I've done, and some of it makes me want to cry - for all of us for that matter.

Tuesday...I can see me hiding in the bathroom from every one during gatherings and parties. Where's Buelah? She's been in the bathroom for hours...poor gal must be sick or something. Just remember, being sober can offer many opportunties to be entertained...just as we used to entertain others.

Yesterday, my hubby was sipping a beer telling me about his day at work, and I was like you ...I could feel myself shaking thinking "oh screw it - what's one". But, one turns to many. I had to refresh my deodorant after that ordeal.

Saki - there are so many of you that run - I think that's awesome. I love lots of different types of activities (not great at any of them), but I could never run - you all have to have great knees! Only time I run is when I'm beeing chased by a Bee - and boy do I scream. Itty bitty bug, but I've seen my Mom do it, so apple didn't fall too far from the tree.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Pulled Pork idea!!!

5)
So, here I am sitting in front of the computer looking for other teaching jobs since my recent attempt at attaining the one I had hoped for during these past 2 years failed miserably. I am becoming a darned mess. The prospects are really rough... substitute for the next year or work at a "hard to teach" location many many miles away in order to gain experience. I am getting turned down for my lack of experience, so they tell me.
I intend to apply for any and all positions and let the chips fall where they may, but I still have a lot of resentment for the school that didn't hire me. I busted my hump over there last fall while student teaching, and thought I made a great impression upon those people. I showed up often times dressed far more professionally than the principal, made every effort to exceed expectations of my university professor and host teacher, established meaningful and trusting relationships with students, and contributed just as much input and effort into lesson planning and development... not to mention efforts in grading. I rocked it over there for six long months thinking that all those efforts would pay off. -- They would hire me and I would remain loyal to the staff and students thereafter-- that was how it was supposed to go.

I know I've been pissing and moaning for a couple of days about this, but this is how I am keeping myself clean during this latest "bump" in the road of life-- yes, I need another metaphor-- stay tuned! I am truly being put to the test this week and in an effort to live up to last night's pledge to the Juner's and my sobriety, all I can do right now is run and write.
.....But, I now also have plans for a nice tasty batch of pulled pork! For some reason I decided to randomly pick up a couple of pork shoulders while shopping with the kid last night. I was thinking of making sausage, but all this talk of pulled pork will give me something else to do besides *itch & moan to my fellow Junesters or drink this holiday weekend. Thank you so much for helping me stick to the effort this time guys and gals, I wish I could send you all a steamin' hot pulled pork sandwich this weekend! SR-- keeping me dry!!!

Thanks for listening, and if anybody else needs support, please feel free to ask, I will be here all weekend. We can post on the board, chat, PM, whichever you would like!

Best all--,

PN
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

EVERY BODY STAY STRONG TODAY! We're all going to have temptations this weekend. Going to be a rough haul...but we can do it.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Saki--, I am so proud of you for giving it a try! It is hard at first, but it will soon come a great healthy addiction! Start slowly, and watch your life take a new direction, shoot, I may have to go for a quick one today now that you've inspired me!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Superb posts everyone. A pleasure to read. It is 7.18 here in England and I have just had a lovely hot bath. I've not much to say except thankyou and stay away from the first drink as it is the one that gets you!

Right, back to 'party time' as my Dad put it!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

My brother and his GF just showed up unannounced.. of course with a case of beer. He took one out of the case and handed it to me. I looked like a deer in the headlights. I am still shaking.
Tuesday - Are you OK? Tell us some good news.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

buelah- lol at the bee. My husband and son think its way funny to chase me around the house with any sort of creepy crawly. Thats when my inner girly girl comes out. I scream like a banshee. My daughter 18 months has started to freak out when bugs come around her too. (she's the apple, I'm the tree)

papanico I totally feel you about the job situation. I am a recent grad myself and can't find ANYTHING even related to my field. They all want 5+ years of experience. I landed an interview for my dream job last summer in a town 300 miles away, and was even called back for a second interview. When I didn't get the position I was truely devestated. more than that, I was pissed!!!

but keep on keeping on. There's got to be a job out there...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

TUESDAY! You are strong! you can do it! sneak away to the computer and log on SR!

BEER SUCKS!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Papa - I feel your pain - both my husband and I were laid off at the same time and I was 7 mos pregnant! I was a director and they wiped us all clean across the country. The first layoff I had it took a couple years to find new job. I'm sorry, its tough and frustrating and I applaud your amazing will right now to stay sober!

Tuesday - don't touch it! You can do this! I'm right here with you...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Blackbird - I have that quote about women are angels on our "beer fridge" in the garage. I just love that!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

So you all are going to get the blow by blow now of my eating habits - just so you know! On to spaghetti. If you saw me, you would laugh. I'm a healthy person, but this week you would think I was pregnant by my eating!

1pm - half way through Friday....
Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

LOL SQUISHY. I've been crazy with the food this week too!
buelah... I just read it the other day and had to steal!!!! he he.