Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Dismember

We draw in all the lurkers eventually.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Welcome grateful101010

lol @ Isaiah, so true

Foward - thanks, i'm sorry your birthday wasn't as happy as it could be, but as you said things can only get better from here.

I'm right there with ya Mick, day 14 woo!

feeling pretty good at this point, I think my body is going through some sort of detox as my skin is breaking out and is extra oily. hopefully thats attributed to the new alcohol free diet. no nightmares or strong cravings at this point which i'm grateful for.

enjoy the remainder of your sunday all (and to those in Us/Can enjoy your extra hour ;p)
Old 11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
kae

Thought I would update. Coming to the end of day 29! 30 days tomorrow! It's truly a miracle, especially after a really rough day yesterday, but everything is good and I am extremely happy I didn't pick back up. I've relapsed so many times, and I truly don't know if I could handle another fall especially feeling all that guilt and failure that follows.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi All, have had a VERY difficult week this week, just when i think I’m making progress with my new mindset towards sobriety I find myself constantly being tested this week. I really felt that I had made enough progress that I could expose myself to certain circumstances and be ok. Boy, was I wrong, luckily I managed to get out of this situation without loosing the good fight. I’ve logged on a couple of times been unable to post, but have simply read and re-read all of your posts which have kept me going over the last couple of days, so thanks to all of you for that. I really do believe that alcohol is as Really4Real put it “not my friend, period”. Its kinda become my own personal mantra, I say it often to myself. I’m still really trying to explore the reasons why I abuse alcohol so badly as I feel understanding this bad behaviour is the key to not repeating it, some of the answers I’ve come up so far are not so pretty, but honest .

Well done to all of you who have reached your own personal milestones this week and keep up the good work, lets all hang on in there together.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Permission denied.

Great day in Southern California. Blue sky, slight breeze, temps in the mid 70's. Got up early, long bike ride with my Sunday club. Great workout, great bunch of guys and gals. Came home to the tail end of a football game. Our team won.

Took the wife and 17 year old son out for brunch and hit the farmers market and a quick stop at the grocery store on the way back.

In a couple of hours my salmon and chicken breasts for the week will go on the grill, but for now, my work is done.

W says it is time for her two-hour Sunday afternoon nap. This is my time to drink. A couple of stiff ones would just help me relax and get all the thinking demons to quiet down. Who is going to know?

I asked myself if I could and the answer is absolutely NO. I am committed to living sober. Alcohol is not my friend, I don't want it, I don't need it. I am in control. I will not let it control me.

So there, I may very well have to be my own cheerleader, but I am doing a pretty good job at it.

Tonight, maybe I will go to the gym and take a nice steam bath and sauna, but for now, time to turn the engines off. Alcohol free.

<<<<day 38>>>>>
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations to all you guys - there's some great momentum here
Keep it up

D
Old 11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

great post deecelt, very hardcore, love the resolve.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Dismember

Checking in. Making sure I'm sober.

Saying the alphabet backwards - check
Looking through cell phone's made calls list for ex-bf/gfs - clear
Ability to spell complex words - sesquipedalian
Passed out? - only if this is just some crazy drunk dream

Just cooked dinner for my family and I'm about to get back to writing my friend a letter. Went to a beautiful Mass this morning and enjoyed sitting outside for a while to enjoy what'll probably be the last of the nice weather we get here.

Had a pretty intense situation this morning at another recovery website I participate at (mental health, not addiction) but ended nearly in tears of joy in my part. I absolutely love hearing it when people rise up out of very dark places.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Wow.... great stuff everyone! I really love this thread... and all of you.

TJP - the website is recovery-world.com for the medallions -- I just figure having it in my pocket will help me to remember throughout the day where I came from and where I'm at now and how fine of a line it is between the two. Glad you had some prime mother-daughter time... betcha it did you both some good!

Isaiah - I hear ya about liking hearing/seeing others rise up out of dark places or situations... probably because of where I've been in my own life. Makes me remember how much I'm thankful for God pulling me out of some pretty nasty stuff. Great to hear you had a good conversation with the girlfriend!

Welcome Grateful101010!

Alldone - Y'know, when I say that alcohol is not my friend. It's really is for real - glad it's helping you. For me, it was my best friend. On the weekends and evenings, it was always there for me - killing me second by second. Once in a while it whimpers into my psyche and tries to convince me it's still my friend and it wants to help. But help what? Help turn me into a zombie that can't even think for myself - or worse yet - that thinks and does things that I can't remember the next day? Is that help? Is that a friend? No. Back off alcohol, you don't belong here and I don't have to listen to your lies anymore. Anyway, that's my take on it... at the moment

Need to get some things done around here as I round out day 32! Yea!

Have a wonderful, sober night!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Evening, everybody... wow, what a positive, prolific day of posting! Day 14 is drawing to a close for me, and it feels great ;-)

ForwardLooking and Isaiah -- thumbs up to you both!

tjp -- so glad to hear your daughter is doing better and that you're feeling good.

grateful101010 - Congrats on 30 days. You'll find lots of great support here.

celx -- Woo-hoo! 14 days for both of us ;-)

Alldoneagain and Kae -- sounds like you both made it through some difficult trials this past week, and you didn't turn to alcohol. Fantastic!

deeCelt - That's the spirit! We're cheering for you, too.

Really4Real- 32 days! Great job!

Dee -- Thanks!

I'm closing out a very productive Day 14 by logging on here, first, and then I'll be holding a book in one hand and scratching my dogs with the other;-) Sure beats drinking!

Have a pleasant and sober evening, all. See ya tomorrow.

"He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper."
~ Edmund Burke
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Isaiah - You're in Poland, right? How is it that you speak such perfect English?

Mick - What kind of dogs do you have? I miss my dog (a Golden) something fierce! He's living with my best friend on 2 acres in the woods with critters, a 12 yr old boy, a spa and a pool....the good life. I had to give him up when I separated from my husband and moved into a small place. He's much better off, but I'm so sad without him. Crummy landlord won't allow any pets. What a creep.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Dismember

Nie, jestem Amerikaninem. Rodzina jest z Polski, nie ja. Mogę mówić po angielsku i polsku, ale tu ja mijam polski.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

4. The official language of the main forum is English, in the interest of reaching the widest audience.
I've never had to post that before Isaiah
D
Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Morning, everybody. Beginning Day 15 with my friends ;-) Heading out the door to work, but just wanted to wish everyone a pleasant and sober day, and, as always,to say thanks for your support and encouragement.

tjp - We've got a Yorkie and, believe it or not, a Chinese crested hairless named Twiggy ---- Twigs was a rescue pup, but she is the sweetest and funniest dog in the world.

"When we cannot find contentment within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere."
~ Francois La Rochefoucauld
Old 11-08-2010, 03:29 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Nie, jestem Amerikaninem. Rodzina jest z Polski, nie ja. Mogę mówić po angielsku i polsku, ale tu ja mijam polski.
Oh.

I see.

It's so clear to me now.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Dismember

Good morning, all. (I'd say "dobre rano" but I don't want to cause more trouble. )

tjp - "I am an American. My family is from Poland, not me. I speak English and Polish, but I omit the Polish here."

I'm off to the races but wanted to wish everyone a happy morning and a good day.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey Isaiah, I could actually read most of that. My great-grandmother was from the polish side of Austria - must have come over when around the time my grandmother was born. I've been to Poland once (on a missions trip about 10 years ago) Gdansk. I know bits and pieces of Polish and Russian (went to Ukraine also).

I have a Bichon Frise - chubby little white furry guy. Don't fluff him up though - makes him look like a sissy.... his name is Casper. It was going to be Samson, if I got a Rott - but Samson didn't wasn't a good fit with a Bichon!! He was non-allergenic and I tend to have a bit of trouble with dogs that have a lot of dander. He's 10 years old and still acts like a pup!

Mick - thanks for the good day blessings!

I'll just parrot Mick's 'good day'.....
Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi everyone; I get alot from reading your posts and need someone to chat with. I am on day one, again. I haven't figured out how to use these posts to communicate and hope this works. Just for today I will not drink. I agree that it is not my friend. Be well; hope to hear back from you-feeling grateful that I am alive and today I get yet another chance.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by camry View Post
I agree that it is not my friend.
It is not so much that alcohol is not my friend....it just that it carries a lot of baggage. The lying, the hiding, the pretending the clean up afterward.....you know what mean. Not a healthy way to live.

Great to have you aboard Camry.

And since you guys are taking inventory, mine (er: my son's) is a beagle.

Great day everyone......
Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Welcome Camry --- Glad you've chosen sobriety! It's way better than where alcohol leads us (of course I had to force myself to believe that for a while). Just for today!