Notices

Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Dismember

It's just that I know I tend to go a little auto-pilot when my moods are high, as they are right now. I managed to make it to a gas station and the library without going the extra two blocks to 7-11. It wasn't hard, but two minutes of beerzombie mode is all it would've taken.

How is your daughter doing?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

good evening everyone, Day 30 for me tomorrow and I am soooooooooooooo proud that I have made it. Like DeeCelt I knew I would never drink again but to be honest there have been very testing moments of the last few weeks. This is my first and last attempt at being sober. I have told my girl pals that I am no longer able to drink and they were a little taken aback but supportive.

This week I have had moments of REAL happiness, not happiness fuelled by any sort of poision and this is great to see. REAL laughter. The sober things I now realise are strange are... I am not a punctional person, I am always late, I used to think it was because I was hungover, turns out I am just disorganised when heading out the door

Another thing is that I must get really low blood sugar levels as I used to get a bit shaky on days, turns out it was not cause I was hungover, just my body as I still get them now and I want to shout it out at everyone that I AM SOBER.

I am funny at times, not because I am drunk but because thats just whom I am.

Some times I am a moody mare, not because I am hungover but just because I am a moody mare

I have a tiny bit of extra weight on me not because I drank tonnes and tonnes of wine but because I love crisps....funny the things I thought all these things would change when sober but hey ho I love being sober...night night....roll on day 30!!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Congrats Moo. Great milestone..... When I get moody, I find a hill to climb and just go for it. Feels so much better on the way down. Enjoy your sober tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Isaiah
Congratulations on your impending 30 MM!

hey DeeCelt

Continued prayers tjp

Hope you're coping ok with the stress Sarah - remember to reach out if you need it, ok?

D
Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Evening, everybody. Day 9 drawing to a close and I am sober! ;-) Wow, there is a lot going on with everybody.

tjp - I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter, and I just hope that the doctor can find the right medicine or combination of medications to get her stabilized. You're not "alone," because you started this thread (thank you so much!), and at the very least you have all of us to talk to and support you. Maybe there are other types of on-line support groups for issues like you're dealing with with your daughter, with helpful advice and support. May be worth looking into, if you haven't already. At any rate, I'll keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and hope for the best. Also, on a different subject, I read that post that you linked to, about addiction, and you're right, it really hits hard. Thanks.

Isaiah - Sorry to hear about your rough weekend, but glad you're back. You encouraged me after my very first post, which I'm very grateful for, so thanks for that, and please accept my best wishes and encouragement for you in return.

Moo Moos - Congratulations! That is a great milestone. I hope to join you there in 21 more days. You're so right -- real happiness and genuine laughter beat the alcohol-fueled kind hands down!

deeCelt - I'm with you... I find being outdoors and doing anything physical, whether it's hiking or gardening or just mowing the lawn, to be helpful in terms of focusing on taking care of my body and not abusing it with alcohol.

Sarah - Congratulations on 12 days! Hope your stress comes down a notch and you feel better tomorrow.

Dee - Thanks for listening ;-)

Thanks, everybody. Wishing you all a pleasant and sober evening. "Talk" to you all tomorrow.

Mick

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer."
~ Albert Camus
Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey everyone - thanks so much for the prayers and kind thoughts. We've had an exhausting day and got absolutely nowhere. We will try a different tack tomorrow.

Isaiah - I hope you're doing better now. Take good care of yourself, please.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Moo Moos - I'm so proud of your 30 days!! ...and a little more than jealous!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

your turn soon tjp

D
Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Morning, everybody. Today I hit the double digits - Day 10! It feels really good. Heading off to work, but wanted to start my day off here. Thanks, and have a good day.

"Unrest of spirit is a mark of life; one problem after another presents itself and in the solving of them we can find our greatest pleasure."
Kal Menninger
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Dismember

Morning it is!

Not feeling too excited of having to take the "walk of shame" in AA again. Even though I know it's silly. I'm going to hear good things and feel positive afterward. Not that I'd think of skipping out. There's a chair with my a**print in it; I'd hate it if someone messed up my print.

Better overall though. Got my reminders that fear and guilt don't get you sober, but being active in recovery does. And if I can do that while being a chipper idiot then I'll have that, please. And I definitely encourage all the really new newcomers not to mistake a lot of negative feelings for seriousness; feelings fade fast but you don't want your recovery to leave with them. Smile like your life depends on it.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good day everyone

D
Old 11-03-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

"There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul."
~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

<<<<day 35>>>
Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Whoops, missed a few posts when I made my initial reply. Hope everyone is doing great; congrats on everyone's achievements -- especially your return to AA, Isaiah. Picking yourself back up when you fall takes serious guts; good for you.

Bumping this thread back up -- where are the others from our October class? Racinstalldev? Duggy? Badrad?

I'm grateful, and still somewhat amazed, to be on my 34th day of continued sobriety.

I was at a restaurant the other night. A woman and an older couple were dining at the table next to me; it drew my attention when the woman insistently asked the waitress to please check on her wine order (the bartender was backed up). I heard the urgency and anxiousness in her voice; the couple's glasses were 1/3 to 1/2 full while her glass empty (and obviously had been for at least a few minutes before she made her request). I just thought, wow, I am so glad that's not me, and I never have to go through that feeling again.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by caribbean View Post
I heard the urgency and anxiousness in her voice; the couple's glasses were 1/3 to 1/2 full while her glass empty (and obviously had been for at least a few minutes before she made her request). I just thought, wow, I am so glad that's not me, and I never have to go through that feeling again.
Hi Carib.... the problem with the lady is that she does not know how to order. A glass of wine? Come on, bring me a bottle, or two.....

And that was only a few weeks ago.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Ain't that the truth! I just finished reading all the way through Under the Influence. I find it so interesting how for alcoholics, after a certain point in the progression of our alcoholism, we actually function better after the first few drinks, and it's often only when we stop drinking that "drunk" appears to catch up. No wonder I needed to do so much "pre-drink" drinking before going to social functions.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey tjp, you're not alone, but it's only you that is having to deal with such awful times. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and of many others. I'm sure that you are looking for the best help, and I hope it gives you the support that you need. Be big be strong and come out bigger and stronger. Be grateful that you're not being controlled by that terrible poison. It's part of your past. ((big hug))
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well everyone, hope you are all doing ok wherever you are, i'm still here! i have to say i really didn't think i would be but here i am, sobriety is becomming the norm in my very small world.Feels good not be hungover and to have the energy to do what needs to be done. Learning to live sober is like learning to live all over again one day at a time, and today was a good day, i hope tomorrow will be too.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Evening, all. Nearing the end of Day 10 for me. Had a bit of a scare driving home from work today. I had a really good day, and as I was driving home, out of nowhere I started thinking of stopping to get some beer or a bottle of wine. I didn't --- didn't even come close--- but I wrestled with that feeling for 5 or 10 minutes, and now I'm kind of depressed because I haven't had that feeling of wanting to drink at all for the past 10 days. I've felt very strong and, and experiencing that urge has kind of frightened me a little, made me feel like I've lost a little control.

"For all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: "It might have been."
John Greenleaf Whittier
Old 11-03-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by MickInMd View Post
as I was driving home, out of nowhere I started thinking of stopping to get some beer or a bottle of wine. I didn't --- didn't even come close--- but I wrestled with that feeling for 5 or 10 minutes, and now I'm kind of depressed because I haven't had that feeling of wanting to drink at all for the past 10 days.
Hey Mick.

That also happened to me on my first two Sundays. Sunday was my heavy drinking day. I ride with a bike club on Sunday mornings. We do 60 to 80 miles on any given Sunday so I can pretty much eat and drink any thing I want after wards, and I used to do just that.

The first two Sundays it hit me in the afternoon. My wife likes long Sunday afternoon naps. The thought occurred to me that I could easily slip away for 10 minutes and p/u a bottle of Scotch at the corner store while she slept, and she would never know. I stopped myself right on my tracks. I have not had any desire ever since. Hang in there. It will pass.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Dismember

I said if I went to my regular AA group and told them everything that happened and what I was feeling, I'd hear tons of support and good advice, so there was no reason to be nervous. And what happened? Exactly that.

There was no way I could have not gone. I've been with a lot of them folks for almost three years now. A binge isn't going to shake that. And I'll be there tomorrow.