Notices

Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

yay part 2!

hi all, i've made it to day 11 somehow. feeling good, a lot more energy that's for sure.

really glad to be a part of this group, everyone's posts have been a huge help.

as always.. ODAAT.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hi Everyone!

TJP - sorry to hear about your daughter... I'll be praying. I am glad though that you don't have the 'urge' to drink like you did last time. That's progress - every little bit helps.... You have it in you to be an overcomer - you'll get that 30 days. You're a fighter - you don't give up... that's what excites me about this whole thread. We're all a bunch of fighters - when one of us falls or even teeters on the edge, we help pick each other up so we cah fight another day.

Moo Moos - I'm right behind ya! Congrats on 30 - woo hoo!!!!

Carribean - Actually, if I was that woman, I would've drank a bottle of wine before I went so I wouldn't act the fool when I got there. But yeah, to think we were really like that.

I was just thinking today that my head has finally cleared up (it did from the alcohol, I think.... but then had a virus that made me real lightheaded for about 10 days). I feel really, really good - 4 weeks today!

Hi Alldoneagain! You're doing wonderful... Isn't it great to be able to see so much more and actually be able to remember what you saw the next day.

Mick - yea for day 10 being poisonless! Experiencing the urge and pulling through it made you stronger.... Urges come and go, tell them to get lost...

Wow, Isaiah, you're really inspiring. I'm not going to meetings, but I'd be afraid to show my face to some other groups I belong to who are supporting me in all this. Shows humility and very commendable.

My problem at the moment is learning how to handle stress at work without wanting to strangle someone.... or put my fist through a wall. Good thing I only have one lone cup of coffee in the morning before I go to work - I'm finding out that I'm really high-strung... at least at this stage.

Goodnight everyone!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Dismember

Mick,

I heard someone share a story today about having a strong, nagging drinking thought. She has over two years of sobriety. There is always going to be stress that draws those drinking thoughts up to the surface.

Just stay fundamental: did you drink? If "no" give yourself a gold star. That means you were strong.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Mick, I definitely had those 'surprising' thoughts that would pop out of nowhere and I've often heard of them from others in my AA group and here on SR...so you are definitely not alone. It does feel like the wind is knocked out of your sails when it happens, though. It's like you're floating along on your little "pink cloud" of new sobriety then **WHAM** you find out it's not always going to be so easy to stay motivated and sober. That's depressing and a bit of a shock. So now that you know how easily it could happen, what is your plan for the next time it happens? That's the trick.

Really - thank you for such encouragement. I really appreciate it. I can't say things are 'better' yet, but we are making progress with getting better care. Now...to figure out how to pay for it all.

No desire to drink AT ALL. I realize that it probably took me a solid 3 days to recover from the 5 glasses of wine I drank last Friday. How in the world did I function before???
Old 11-04-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 10 for me.

I also had those little devils whispering in my ear whilst at work today, telling me to just have a few tonight (it's my birthday) or tomorrow night (my first Friday after returning to work). It would be easy to just go with such thoughts and not to acknowledge where 'a few' would lead. Before I knew it I'd be into my nth can of beer and I'd be back in the old routine, and degenerating quickly. No. I'm ready for the fact that my subconscious will play these tricks on me, maybe for the rest of my life. But I won't give in.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Happy ~S~O~B~E~R~ birthday Forward L. Mine (and my wife's, yes same day) is next week and I am planning on a sbr one.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks, deeCelt. I hope you both have a great day
Old 11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday Forward - do something good, but positive, for yourself
Hope you're having a great day!

D
Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, greetings from the most miserable wet and horrible night weather wise that you could imagine. I must have got rained on 20 times today 1 full month SOBER and I feel really good this week. It has been another busy week but I am defo getting used to not thinking about drink at all. I know it’s still so early on this journey but I am doing well.

Isaiah well done to you for you going back to your meetings and I am glad that you get some support there. Sound like a good bunch of people to surround yourself with.

Forward looking Happy Birthday....the best present you will get today is the joy of actually remembering your birthday in full, no passing out on it, no hangover after it, no after taste, no guilt, no paranoia...all good to me!! Have a great day!!

TJP glad things are starting to calm, drinking would have made things a million zillion things worse for you and your daughter, remember you started this thread and as the founder you are legally obliged to stay sober...think I read a legal contract somewhere

Really4really... 4 weeks is really brilliant. I bet you felt that stress in work when you were drinking too so nothing has changed except now you are SOBER!! You need to find a coping mechanism to deal with the stress work brings. Last week I wanted to bare fisted strangle lots of people but it is just like riding a rollercoaster, up and down but eventually is ends!! Someone in another post mentioned a 'tapping' of the back of the hand and under the eye as a way of releasing some of the stress, not sure, I more of a strangle first and perhaps tap later kinda gal ha ha

Alldoneagain, Mickinmind, Celx and DeeCelt etc etc I enjoy realding yer posts...stay strong!!

Dee74 I never really mention you in my posts but it is not because I overlook you, rather the opposite I feel you overlook all of us, keeping an eye on us and post some serious words of wisdom, so thanks.

So far I am only staying sober (there's a sentence..I AM ONLY STAYING SOBER!! yipeeeee) and I am fully committed to staying sober but not so sure about the recovery..AA was not an option that I fancied. I was just wondering has anyone ever stayed sober, just stopped drinking without recovery or do you have to recover to stay sober. I just don’t feel the need to acknowledge why I drank, I know why...genetic, lonely, bored, routine, self destruct, stress, anxiety etc etc

To be honest I just want it to be black and white... I drank, it was bad and now I can't drink anymore.... If my lips swelled up when I ate peanuts I would stop and know that I could never ever eat peanuts again ...is it more complicated than this?? Bet your all laughing now but seriously I know that I feel fixed and I never want to be broken again so drinking will break me....bet you think I spend too much time talking to my kids ha ha That's all...hope you are all well...It's Friday tomorrow remember when you couldnt imagine the weekend with out alcohol...now I LOVE the weekend because I remember every moment!!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Moo Moos

Hanging out in the monthly threads is a big part of my job - and probably the most enjoyable part too - it's really great to see people improving their lives and moving on fred from the burden of drinking

D
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Evening, everybody. Day 11 is winding down for me, and I feel really good. Didn't even think about drinking today. Yesterday, though, as I said, I had a little moment of doubt, and I can't tell you how important and helpful it was to me to read all your words of support and encouragement after I posted last night. Thank you all so much!

I plan to just keep on logging in here at least every morning before work and every afternoon after work, to read and post, to keep up with everybody's progress, and to bear your words and experiences in mind as I work to strengthen my own resolve to stay alcohol free.

Also, as a way to give back to my community and to engage myself in constructive activities, I've volunteered with the local literacy council. I have to go through a 14-hour training session and then I will be spending a couple of hours or so each week teaching reading, basic math, and basic computer skills to adults who, for whatever reason, never acquired those skills.

That's all for now. Thanks, again, to all of you. You're a great bunch.

"It is the paradox of life that the way to miss pleasure is to seek it first. The very first condition of lasting happiness is that a life should be full of purpose, aiming at something outside self."
~ Hugh Black
Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey ForwardLooking - :day5 -- Hope it's a great one!

Moo Moos - yeah, I read too about the tapping on the back of the hand to relieve stress. But I definitely hear ya, I'm the more the strange first - ask questions later type also. At least that's what I feel like doing.... but you're right feelings come and go. I just have to learn to chill out and not let things get to me so riled up. I might just try that tapping thing next time... probably tomorrow... Wonderful on the month - keep it up girlfriend! I'm not an AA'er either. Actually just don't have time, but I am involved a bit a church - so I do have support there. And I exercise regularly now, so that helps also.
I don't think we have to know all the answers as to why we drank. I've pretty much exhausted anything that I'd been through in my past over the year... it all came down to 'I drank because I wanted to' and it got out of hand.... once again. So, this time, I decided I really am an alcoholic - I can't drink. Period. As issues rise up, I try to deal with them. But as far as I'm concerned the alcohol thing is a done deal... I can't do it. Why? Because I can't control it... it will control me. It'd rather God be in control and I won't have to worry about all that...

Guess that got a little long... but it felt good to 'say' it.

Mick - cool on the volunteering - way to go!

Have a great night everyone!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Happy birthday, Forward!

Congrats to everyone else on their sobriety. I had a bit of a rough day today, will share more tomorrow when I'm not so exhausted, but I just wanted to check in with you all. I had the desire to drink today but kept myself safe, kept my AA commitments, and I'm going to bed now without having tossed away a month-plus sober streak. This too shall pass. Sending love to you all.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I can't hang either...will post more tomorrow but want you to know that we are making some good headway with my daughter's psych treatment and alternative education plan. The clouds are lifting.

Your prayers have worked so far...please keep it up! Thanks everyone.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Good, sober, clear-headed morning, all ;-) Starting off Day 12 and I feel really good, having just gotten up from a sound night's sleep. I feel so good this morning, and I think it's partially because of the little "trial" I had when driving home two days ago. When we make it though those moments of temptation, we come out stronger on the other side. Well, that, and the support and encouragement from all of you!

Off to work! Have a nice day, everyone.

"Man's mind, stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimensions."
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:09 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Dismember

A new day arrived
Sobriety survived
Good to be alive
Sour cream and chive
Hooray for day five!

Woot!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Forward! I celebrated my birthday last Friday, I was worried, but stayed strong, and in the end it was a lot more enjoyable sober.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good for you, Celx. For personal reasons it wasn't my happiest birthday ever, but the ones I have to come will get better.

Thank you all for the good wishes, and for your support and stories over the last eleven days!

Still going strong
Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Day 30, y'all! Feeling good about that. I have to tell you that I had one heck of a drinking dream last night. In this dream I was hiding bottles of wine and then decided that the best place to hide them was my stomach -- I drank 5 bottles of wine... So glad THAT was a dream! It was funny though... I woke up when my husbands alarm went off at 3am and I didn't want to face towards him, because I was SURE I smelled like alcohol! Crazy dream. Just a dream.

Glad you didn't 'toss' it away Caribbean! Sometimes going to bed is the safe thing to do. Hope today way better for you.

TJP - really glad about your daughter... wonderful that things are taking a turn for the better. I'll keep praying and thanking Him for what He's already done...

Isaiah - Good job on getting back in there. Cool little poem also.... I can appreciate that, I used to write them a while back -- kind of just reminded me, it's still inside of me somewhere... thanks.

Hang in there everyone and have a good weekend!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

R~4~R >> Great job. Those dreams can me frightening. Do you think it was because you were anticipating the 30 milestone? Enjoy today (or tonight as the case might be). Tomorrow, you can start working on your next 30