Notices

August Sobriety Part 9

Old 05-14-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Morning all....

Banagrrrl.....I must confess, Housewives is my guilty pleasure. I like NY,(as I grew up there), and I love NJ! I knew alot of girls that talked and act like the Jersey girls. NY I watch because I always love when they are out in the Hamptons and I glimpse places I know.

PC-I know you have thought of your son...and I also know what KC is saying. None of this is easy though. When you look at a situation from the outside, or just on paper, you can take away one opinion. When you meet someone, see their expressions, know them and love them, well, everything can look differently.

My father was an alcoholic...many times I wished she had left him, or should I say, I wished he would leave. For whatever reasons, they stuck it out. My Dad quit drinking and was sober 20+ years when he died..my parents were married for 50 years.

Yes, there are things that I experienced as the child of an alcoholic parent that were hard, and left life long "stuff" to deal with.

On the other hand, my mother and father had many wonderful years together, were the best grandparents, and showed myself and my sisters how families can heal.

Soooo...although there are no black and white answers for this type of situation, there are things to be learned, and ways to make it thru....
Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Sheeesh,

I'm officially done with my first year of law exams....and i made it through sober!!! Last night some friends wanted to go out drinking. I told them that I was tired of always being such a lush and there would be no booze for me. A few of them were pretty surprised at how candid I was, but I could also see a look of relief on a their faces. It's like they all recognized that I had issues with alcohol and they were pretty supportive. I realize that alcohol is going to be around and I really don't think it's healthy for me to avoid all situations where I know that alcohol will be present. For the first time at a bar when guys offered get me drinks, I requested diet cokes and shirley temples....shoulda seen the look on their faces! I didn't feel the temptation to drink at all...which made me feel great.

This afternoon I'm scheduled to take a surfing class which should be neat and then i'll be heading out to spend the next month in London with my dad. I'm so tempted to see if the blokes in London are as willing to get me diet cokes as they were here. I kinda doubt it.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good right now.

loves and hugs Scout
Old 05-14-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I am home for the night. Went shopping and got some clothes for great deals TWO sizes smaller than my former frame. I am so happy about that. I have gotten a lot of compliments. I still need to lose around 20 lbs, but I am okay with that. It is a slow process.

I have a cold so I am not feeling so great. I have "Shutter Island" to read and my crime shows to watch on tv tonight. My husband has been catching fish all day and is having a blast, so glad to not have to worry about me.

What is everyone up to this Friday evening?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

been busy on here i am going to watch my daughter play soccer, just checking in,

i will catch up on what u have all been doing wen i get home
Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Bananagrrrl, isn't it great to find something you like, and get a good deal on it. I love retail therapy.

I am not doing too much this evening. My hubby cut the front yard, and I was going to cut the back, but, I am going to cut it tomorrow morning instead.

I am about to check the tv to see what is on and just take it easy tonight.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

aagh.

I can't study right now, my mind is preoccupied with what's gonna happen to me next week. Help, anybody? I just need some technique or something to finish this semester off, and worry about the future on Thursday. It's less than a week, I know why I can't focus, but it's not really an option right now... I'm just not too good at this all.

Otherwise, things are going well I suppose. I'm eating, sleeping, etc pretty good. Actually managed to worry myself sick, didn't know it was possible. I'm getting over that, although that took out a few days when I should have been doing other stuff. Now it's down to the line, and I can do this, I just need to focus.

Not a single person ("friend" in their words) from AA seems to have noticed that I haven't been around for a couple weeks. Nice to get all the support... nice to be noticed.

Anyways, like I said, I can't afford any distractions right now, and I keep getting them...

Take care,
TB
Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Okay back to all better. Sorry to be a pest.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Congrats Banana. Yes, losing weight seems to just happen when we stop stuffing our stomach's full of all the extra calories alcohol gives us. I have lost 30 pounds, but seem to have plateaued. I guess now I will have to work out to drop the rest. Enjoy your book and your sober weekend.

I am just sitting down for the night. My wife and daughter and I went out for dinner tonight. It was nice. Now I just got done hanging a TV on the wall in our living room. I have never done that before, and it went pretty well.

Tomorrow is a birthday party at noon for some friends of ours daughter. Our kids are the same age and they love to play together. And we are best friends with the parents. Should be a fun day.

TB- Not really sure what all is going on. I am a touch confused. How is your sobriety going?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

TB...hang in there..you are close to the finish line. First things first...if your exams are what you need to be studying for, then, study. Then..take the next step.

As for AA...well...it is like any relationship, a two way street...we can wait for folks to call us, or we can call them.

How many more exams do you have to take?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with the exams TB...I was never much good with studying for them.
Good luck with after them too..

D.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

KC checking in.
hi kc

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good right now.

it keeps getting better cam ... keep it up !

congrats on 6 months brent

hello to everyone else/... i gotta run and pick my daughter up... its 11pm here, and so good to be able to do this for her and her friends !

byeeee
Old 05-15-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Thanks anono. I appreciate that.

You know, something my first sponsor (who is no longer with us) told me when I first started my recovery sticks with me and pops into my head a lot. This is what he said: " Just keep doing the next right think. And no matter what, don't drink. I don't care if your butt falls off, just don't drink."
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Bdiddy..to echo what your sponsor said, I have heard just don't drink unless your butt falls off, and if it does, put it in a bag and bring it with you to a meeting.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

IT'S OKAY TO BE ME

Time after time newcomers have tried to keep to themselves certain facts about their lives. . . . they have turned to easier methods . . . But they had not learned enough humility . . .

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, pp. 72-73

Humility sounds so much like humiliation, but it really is the ability to look at myself -- and honestly accept what I find. I no longer need to be the "smartest" or "dumbest" or any other "est." Finally, it is okay to be me. It is easier for me to accept myself if I share my whole life. If I cannot share in meetings, then I had better have a sponsor -- someone with whom I can share those "certain facts" that could lead me back to a drunk, to death. I need to take all the Steps. I need the Fifth Step to learn true humility. Easier methods do not work.

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.[/QUOTE]

I just thought I would repost this here. This was the reading from my meditation book Daily Reflections yesterday, and it was also the topic of my noon meeting.

I never realized how much I suffered from low self-esteem, or fear. I was afraid of
others not liking me, or that I wasn't good enough, my house wasn't perfect, I wasn't perfect...the list goes on and on.

I am comfortable now in my own skin, even when I am dealing with uncomfortable feelings. That helps to keep me sober.

I re-read this again this morning, and thought I would share it...
Old 05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Yeah, I did pretty good at studying today, think I'm back to normal. Four papers, four finals--three essays and one multiple choice. I can do this. Yep.

AA is a two way street? I called them every day for months... better said, I left them messages since after the first few calls, most of them just patched me through to voicemail. By now, I assume they figure I'm out drinking (they don't have much imagination with what I might be up to), but in the first few days... you'd think someone might have called to at least make sure I didn't slip and break my leg or something.

Oh well. Adult Swim Time! I have to sleep a bunch tonight to be nice and ready for... more paper writing hehe. On one hand, I'm pushing these papers way too far to the end and I know it, on the other, I'm probably the most well-rested person in the school right now. Which isn't bad.

T-7 days... pray for me y'all.

TB

PS Scout, good luck in London...
Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

TB-glad to hear that you are doing well and are on track...

I can only share from my AA experiences..I am sorry that yours aren't what youl would like them to be.

Have you been to a meeting lately?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I am leaving in like 5 minutes to meet my sponsor at a park to do steps 4-5. I am so nervous!

I will report back later.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Good luck Banagrrrl..I think you wouldn't be human if you weren't nervous.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Hey peeps,

TB, You are in my prayers. I hope you can get through this rough time and land on your feet.

I did my 4th & 5th Step!!!!!!!!

And it didn't kill me. My sponsor was very understanding. She shared her experience, strength and hope and it was awesome. I feel like a load has been lifted off of me.

I haven't told any of you here, but I have premature ovarian failure and have had it since I was 33- or at least it was diagnosed then. So I went through menopause and I basically drank my way through it.

I have many resentments about not being able to have children, people asking me about it. etc.

Anyway, I am 39 now and my sponsor told me I need to accept it and that is what I am going to do. I am going to quit dwelling on it and all the negativity surrounding it.

We may adopt, who knows? I have to admit to the fact that fear strangles me when it comes to this topic. I have to let it be in God's hands.

Anyway, it was a great process for me to go through, my sponsor rocks, and I am going to forge through these twelve steps and hopefully come out a better, more whole person.

Thanks for reading.

XXOO
Libby
Old 05-16-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Congrats Banana! I am so proud of you. See, it didn't kill you and it sounds like you have learned a lot by going through it. Keep us posted.

Well, it is another beautiful day in SD. We are leaving in a few minutes to go golfing. Us and another couple..... and our 20 month old daughter and their 9 month old daughter. Oh boy, what are we getting into? Needless to say it wont be my best round ever but it is a beautiful day to get outside and enjoy some sunshine.

Have a great rest of you Sunday's August peeps.