Notices

Class of January 2010

Old 01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by jan24 View Post
The hardest part for me so far is the reaction I got from the few people I told. I wish I hadn't told them, and just tried to make up excuses for not drinking, because being made fun of and having people act like I'm crazy for thinking I am an alcoholic is unpleasant to say the least. I know I have a problem, and quitting seems to be the only viable solution.
Hi Jan24,

That's a real shame that friends you have confided in are behaving like that when you are ill.

Now that you have told them you can't change that but you can stop talking to them. I would just suggest a brief "I would rather not talk about it" if they mention it.

Certainly in the short term it would be wise to avoid these friends and the situations where drink is around. Maybe even long term you may reconsider if they are "friends" or just drinking aquaintances.......

Keep going to the meetings and try to connect to as many people as you can and get numbers and get yourself a new group of friends who will NEVER make fun of you because you have problems with alcohol.

At the stage you are at it is difficult to see a way out but there is one. It will get better if you work for it.
Take care.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Congrats to all our sober January folks!!! I am joining too as January 19th was my 1st clean day and man it feels good. My hubby said today that I love you sober because you are active and doing things. You cook, clean, make your appts, it is the woman I love!!! It was him who found me passed out the day before I quit.....out of it at the computer asking for a fork....when there was no food. I don't even remember. He then said....I don't like you drunk. You aren't you. It was then with a good crying session....I said to him....I have a problem....I am an alcoholic and he gave me the biggest hug and said thank you honey.....I have been waiting so long for you to say that. It is only then that you will get sober.

Ok...Im crying now in joy because in a few hours it will be 7 days sober. I have NEVER gone more then 4 days sober since 2002.

God Bless and keep the faith!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Jan24, sorry you got laughed at for what you are trying to do. Don't let that discourage you, and keep hanging in there! Keep in mind that your friends are just as scared of losing you as a friend, as you are of losing them. Hopefully they can see what you are doing is actually a positive step.

I would like to share with you one of my favourite quotes... it is from Dr. Seuss of all people: "be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Keep up the great work, and I hope to keep seeing you on the chat board!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Jan - Wow, that is awful that you got made fun of. I think from a couple of my drinking friends I will get the same thing. At which point, I will see if they were ever really my friend or not. Just thinking about this gets me mad FOR you! UGH.

I am just contemplating telling my friends or not, and I think I'm leaning toward just getting off my chest already. I feel like I'm walking around with this big secret.

:ghug3
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I am watching the most heartbreaking Intervention show I have ever seen. It has really made me think how grateful I am that I have made it 21 days. I have a son and I failed him so many times. Thank you to this site for keeping me ok. I read everyday the stories of survivors and it has kept me on top - for today. Thank you all. The roughest part of this is facing all the disasters I left while I was using - especially the financial ones. I have my life and my son. Thank you God for today and for all of you!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Marshgirl, welcome to SR. Well done on 21 days.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Kmber2010 View Post
It was then with a good crying session....I said to him....I have a problem....I am an alcoholic and he gave me the biggest hug and said thank you honey.....I have been waiting so long for you to say that. It is only then that you will get sober.
You have a very understanding man there......and very wise.

It's great you have finally admitted that you are an alcoholic and can't drink. Use all the support you can
Old 01-26-2010, 02:33 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

I am joining the thread, i did start on NYE, but I failed 3 days ago. But atleast im 3 days clean and its a little bit easier

Good luck everyone
Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

Congratulations to each and every one of you for your decision be sober today!!

Day 26 for me!! I have been scarce around SR the last few days and I noticed that could be a trigger! So here I am today........my emotions seem to be running high this week. Had a perceived misunderstanding on my part (imagine that!) with my sponsor yesterday......worried all evening, tossed and turned all night, then woke up pissed and ready to tell her to get lost today!!! When I called her, she could hear the anger in my voice......I just couldn't contain it!! She reassured me that it is completely "my choice" to have her as my sponsor but if I want to end it, I can!!! I thought she wanted to end the relationship so I was told her that she was just like everybody else in my life.......everyone leaves me or I run them off!! I am still shocked that after 10 years, my husband has not put me out!! Maybe one day, I will really believe he loves me!! OK, I am rambling.......

Anyway the small victory today is: I worked through the emotions, feelings and desires to run with my sponsor. Oh HOW IT HURT......but I did it. I did NOT end the relationship and run like I have so many times before.....and I did NOT drink over it!!

Yes, I am willing to do ANYTHING!! THIS I must believe!!

Love and hugzzzzzzzz

~Kelly
Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Insideout,

Good for you for dealing with the feelings and recognising them for what they were.

Welcome to the thread, Artificial.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

I thought she wanted to end the relationship so I was told her that she was just like everybody else in my life.
Mu Oh My..Oh My!!

I haven't reached the point of really putting it to words to anyone
(or even putting it to pen ~ sorta until now)

That's got to be one of my hugest Harmful controlling emotions...........

Good for you in facing it head on, and working through it!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Day 16 for me. My wife and I took my mother-in-law and step father-in-law to a fancy dinner. It was a high end wear your suit restaurant. I knew a lot of wine and drinks would be served so I came clean to my wife about my decision and what i'm doing about it. I told her about you guys being my group. She was so happy and excited for me. I'm not telling her family...they are too hypocritical and thats the last thing I need to deal with.

We decided that I would be the DD for dinner and they could drink all they wanted. I never noticed before(because I would already be toasted before dinner) how much drinks are pushed at you. Mother in Law kept pushing them at me/waiters kept coming at me with a bottle and I would have to wave them off/drinks on the house for her birthday.

What was cool is I drank water and really didn't care. My wife kept looking at me and I would tell her to enjoy herself, I was having a good time....I really was. It was funny watching three intelligent people get buzzed and the conversations they had....I laughed a lot at their expense.

I'm loving this!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Great to read about your big sober night out, AaronK

I also had a night out this weekend; chinese restaurant visit and later a play performed by english actors (with a break long enough to buy and drink a glas of wine or two). My husband made it easy for me at the restaurant by ordering a coke for himself. So it was no problem for me to ask for water and later a cup of tea. In the break I had another cup of tea and my husband another coke. A brand new experience being sober at a restaurant and at the teater! I felt very lightheaded and happy all evening. We laughed a lot. The play was so funny.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I think I belong in this class!
7 days sober today and doing ok.
Been doing a lot of cleaning and reading and have slept reasonably for the past 2 nights.
I will take some time to read through all the posts....as a newbie...I'm still finding my way around the forum.
Anyway look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

I had my last drink somewhere around 5:00pm on Jan25 2010.. It was the last drink of a painful 9 day binge that included drugs as well... I was sober for 11 and 1/2 months before this relapse... so here I am again at day 1, shaky but eating again
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Steven 35 - Important thing is you came back and are getting back up again. I know when I relapsed that last time I stayed down. I jus did not want to admit to myself that my huge pill popping problem had snuck back in that fast. I say be proud you realized you slipped and got yourself back up. I am sending you hugs :ghug3and that same saying I have to repeat - One day at a time. I just get so happy at getting one day and keep working on the next.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

I would love to join the class of January....

Tomorrow will be my first day sober.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR MariahG!

D
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Count me in! 23 days so far!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Hello, I have decided to get in. I have been reading a lot and posted a thread in the newcomers section. I'm only 3 days in but feel strongly about commiting to a group and feeling obligated to that group. I've read the the entire thread and this looks like a good one! A few of you here have already helped me. Hope I can return the favor.
God knows I need all the help and support I can get so, I am counting on you guys to post and hope you will!