Notices

Class of January 2010

Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

I am very happy to be in Day 13!! Wow....almost 2 weeks? Yes, this is good!!

Hugzzzzzzz to each of you!!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
BJB

Originally Posted by Serendipity13 View Post
This weekend is going to be hard. I have managed to taper down but WOW, the sleep pattern is all jacked up. I am starting to feel better but SO tired. Anyone else sleep for like 4 hours and then toss. I still feel better than hung over everyday!
I definitely had major sleep pattern problems my first week sober. I'm only on my second week but I can say it is getting easier. My cravings are starting to subside a little bit and wine isn't on my mind 100% anymore. (Maybe around 90-95%... haha) My sleep patterns are starting to change and level out, too. I've not "arrived" yet but I am definitely noticing a change.

Hope it helps. Let us know how your first AA meeting goes!

And thanks for continuing to check in everyone. I love checking in on here and hearing about your experiences before I go to bed.

Be well,
BJB

Last edited by Dee74; 01-14-2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: removed reference
Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
BJB

Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Have a celebration dinner! I've been having one every seven days. It is SO encouraging! During my previous quits, I felt I was only moving further and further away from alcohol. I didn't have anything to move [I]towards.[I] Now, I have a celebration dinner with a big personal cake (a beautiful small cake from whole foods) and I even put a candle in it. I know it sounds totally silly but it makes me feel completely rewarded and ready to take on another sober week. In my first week, it actually helped me tell myself, "no Betty. You'll ruin your string of sober days and you won't get to have your Cake Day!"

Anyway... it's silly but it's working for me. Just a thought. Keep it up! It inspires us when you do!

Heart,
BJB
Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
BJB

Wallingford: Have you tried taking 1-2 Tylenol PMs? They really make me sleep like the dead. I prefer to take only 1 on a night that I'm having trouble sleeping because they tend to make me sleep through my alarm. One usually does the trick and doesn't get to me the next day. Two will REALLY knock me out and might make me oversleep. But it definitely puts me to sleep. And they are not habit forming.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I've taken those before, too BJB and I'm with you on the 'one pill-good, 2 pills-a bit much'. I'm not sure there's such a thing as "non habit forming" for me, tho. I find me to be a really habitual person.

On my 12th day..have a social thing coming up next weekend I'm already thinking about. My friend's band is playing at a local place and a bunch of old high school friends are meeting up there. I know I can handle it, but I find myself thinking about it a lot.

Hope you all are doing great!!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
BJB

Originally Posted by mirage View Post
I've taken those before, too BJB and I'm with you on the 'one pill-good, 2 pills-a bit much'. I'm not sure there's such a thing as "non habit forming" for me, tho. I find me to be a really habitual person.

On my 12th day..have a social thing coming up next weekend I'm already thinking about. My friend's band is playing at a local place and a bunch of old high school friends are meeting up there. I know I can handle it, but I find myself thinking about it a lot.

Hope you all are doing great!!
In bar situations like that, I find the n/a beers or soda w cranberry & lime help me get through the evening and feel like I'm not missing out. I will easily throw back 5 or 6 n/a beers with the rest of them. I totally feel like i'm partying, I have a great time with everyone, and I can drive home sober!

BJB
Old 01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be careful with the tylenol PMs, like any medication - I've seen people post here @ SR who had troubles with using something like this for too long.

D
Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I had to travel for a few days. Day 12 tomorrow!

I am staying away from sleeping pills because I have gotten into a habit with those before. Just melatonin and herbal tea.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

Hey Malcolms.....Congratulations on Day 12!! That is just Awesome!!

Hope your travels went well!!

Day 14 for me....yep, 2 wholes weeks!! (smiling ear to ear!)

I met my sponsor this morning on the cornish for a brisk walk in the wonderful sunshine while DH was busy messing with computer stuff!! YES, I can do for myself even on dear hubby's day off!!! Wow......it felt good!!!

~Kelly------------>
Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Inside - AWESOME!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Day 12.

Sounds like tommorow will be a challenge since I have been invited out to a bar. I normally decline invitations...always in the past preferring to stay home by myself and drink(I have lost nearly all my friends in the past few years because of my anti-socila behaviour).

As weird as it sounds, going to the bar is a step in the right direction for me. The problem will be being around all the alcohol, I'll be driving which will stop me from drinking a lot.. .but I need to refrian from having even one.

I'll be using a few tricks at the bar to prevent people from asking me why i am not drinking. I can say I am on a diet or just order pop(soda) and not tell anyone what it is, etc.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Krodos,

It's only the first drink you have to avoid.....do remember that.

Just think you will be driving home and tomorrow you will know that you drove legally, can remember everything that happened and you will be feeling so great because you stayed sober.

So we shall look forward to seeing Day 13 here tomorrow?

One day at a time. One minute at a time, if you have to
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Friday at last

This weekend is just about doing things at home just me and my husband. Maybe take a look on a flea market.

The next two weekends I have to go out or having people over, so I will really enjoy this last break before I really have to deal with temptations.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

IO...two weeks! Fantastic. I can't believe I hit that Sunday. And the travel was fine. No drinking!

Krodo's, I understand exactly. I didn't go out on New Years to get drunk at home alone! Going out and doing anything with people is a step in the right direction for me now. We both hit two weeks Sunday, and we're both going to make it there.

My sister gets married tomorrow. I know that this a challenge, but I am determined not to let her special day become my excuse to give up on all the work I've done, and I refuse to ruin this for her. I've got a phone full of numbers to call from AA, I've got SR, I'm not going to let this trip me up. I will hit two weeks on Sunday!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

intention, I do plan on making it. I believe I can resist taking that first drink. Last weekend my wife had me by her a bottle so she could have a drink and left the bottle in my usual spot. It is still here untouched all week.

My biggest concern I guess is feeling peer pressure to have a drink thats all. Which is why I will at the very least pretend to drink.

Malcolms, Yeah, I am very excited by the prospect of going 2 full weekends in a row with no drink. I got off early today and drove right on past the liquior store after work on my way home.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
BJB

Originally Posted by Krodos View Post
I'll be using a few tricks at the bar to prevent people from asking me why i am not drinking. I can say I am on a diet or just order pop(soda) and not tell anyone what it is, etc.
The new line I use is "No thanks, I'm taking the night off." People don't even question it. I don't have to say anything else. I just go on with my conversation and people totally get it.

Another thing is that we never have to make an excuse for our decisions. They are our decisions. No need to justify. Plus, we are doing AWESOME THINGS for ourselves! I'm so inspired to hear about all the good stuff that is happening now that we're working to be sober. Thanks for posting guys. It's helpful.

My night was good but I'm a little blue. The guy I was seeing broke up with me tonight but it wasn't a bad or stressful thing. We enjoy each other and hang out a lot it just turns out it won't be more than that. So, once we cleared the air at the beginning of dinner we went on and had a great night. The best part: I didn't feel the need to drink! Instead, I'm just letting myself feel the bummer of it not working out with a nice fella but I know there are plenty more where he came from. I don't need to drink and end up feeling a lot worse about the whole thing than is necessary.

So thanks for posting tonight guys. It was a welcome thing to hear good news from so many.

-BJB
Old 01-17-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Overall a good weekend; my husband and I have seen a bunch of old "Lost"-episodes (from season 1). We will probably see all the old seasons before season 6 comes out here.

Yesterday night I was cooking. When I opend a fresh bottle of balsamic vinegar, it hits me how similar it was to open a bottle of wine and I suddenly missed cooking with a glass of red wine in my hand.

Today I was also reminded of my old habit; We visited a second hand shop and found a lot of good stuf like a kalaha-game and a brand new bat lamp, but most of the time I thought about that the shop got a lottery with cheep chocolate and very bad red wine as prizes, sponsor gifts of course, and the last time I was where I bought a lot of tickets just to make sure I won. So I won and my husband wanted the chocolate, but I talked him into the wine, because I really needed that bottle; the house was dry.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Great Wallingford and another good weekend here.

Looking forward to a hangover free Monday.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
BJB

Originally Posted by Wallingford View Post
...and I suddenly missed cooking with a glass of red wine in my hand.
I call that the "wine lifestyle." Wine (and scotch) were my poisons but I was convinced I loved the lifestyle and taste of wine. It was nice. But to help me transition and feel like I wasn't missing out, I started experimenting with making other n/a drinks and drinking them out of champagne flutes and wine glasses like I used to.

For mimosas, I do sparkling mineral water, a splash of orange juice or orange flavor sparkling green tea, and sometimes a splash of Rose's lime or cherry.

I've also begun to REALLY enjoy the Dry Soda Company's line of dry sodas. They are made to pair with various dinners just like wine or prosecco but they are the most interesting soda waters. The come in lemongrass, vanilla bean and a bunch of other flavors. I really like them. You can get them at Whole Foods.

If you are missing the glass of wine in your hand while you cook, ask yourself, "Is it really the wine I miss? Or the experience?" Then start experimenting with creating a new experience/treat for yourself to sip on and see how it goes... non-alcoholic, of course. Just some ideas.

Today is my day 14! Woohoo!!! Two weeks! I had a wonderful celebration dinner and my two week sober cake with a candle. This time it was actually a ridiculously large Turtle Chocolate Caramel Apple. I could only eat half. I gave the rest to my neighbor. But it was awesome and I am totally ready to take on another week of sobriety.

Next week, I'll be in Key West. It is a gift trip from a friend. I'm quite excited but... how does one hang out on a beach and NOT drink?!? This is going to be a very new experience. But I'm ready.

Thanks for posting on here guys. It really lifts me up to see your posts. Thanks for your support and the honest in your stories, successes, and struggles. Keep it up.

See you soon,
BJB
Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Made it through Weekend #3

And the more 'distance' I get from the drinking the better perspective I have on it. Whatever damage I thought it was doing to me when I stopped 3 weeks ago, was only scratching the surface. Every day I feel that I'm seeing a whole lot of things more clearly. And I'm grateful I woke up before it was too late.