SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of January 2010 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/191954-class-january-2010-a.html)

Malcolms 01-07-2010 08:19 PM

Class of January 2010

Hi everybody. I thought I would start a January group, if that’s ok with everybody. I know there is also a 2010 group, but I figure, why not have both? My last drink was on January 3rd, 2010, and I intend to keep it that way all Month and all Year.

So anyway, I know I've talked to a few different folks who started in January. Anybody in?

Ananda 01-07-2010 08:22 PM

:c021: I got sober a day too early :c021:

wendellgee1985 01-07-2010 08:24 PM

Congratulations to you ... I stopped on January 5th. Going on about 54-55 hours now.

Malcolms 01-07-2010 08:32 PM

Congrats Wendellgee! How are you doing? I feel much better today than I did the last couple. I also went to an AA meeting tonight for the first time, and I'm feeling really good about it. I met some nice people and am going to go back.

Ananda, eh, close enough for government work.

Beligerent 01-07-2010 10:26 PM

i'm in my first day was 1/1/10

OZboy 01-07-2010 11:38 PM

..good on you all..it's a start:c011:

Dee74 01-07-2010 11:41 PM

Good to see you guys! :c014:

D

InsideOut 01-08-2010 07:00 AM

Hey, this is where I belong.....Day 7 for me!! WOW....A whole week.....and it has been a very long week but I find that GREAT news as I will have time to make more of each day!!

Krodos 01-08-2010 07:11 AM

Hello, I'm also new and my last drink was Sunday night as well. I'm feeling very good about it and glad that I found this forum.

Malcolms 01-08-2010 08:20 AM

Beligerent, Krodo's, InsideOut, congrats! Krodo's, I guess we are not sensible enough to do something normal like quit on January 1st, I had to quit on the 3rd.

I'm on day 5, and I feel great. I've done this before, and I know this feeling doesn't last. I'll get down again, and I'll want to drink, probably by next week. I even had a small craving last night while trying to sleep (still having insomnia, though its getting better). But I am going to enjoy being up while it lasts, and I'm trying to get as big a support system as possible before that happens. Tons of energy right now. Looking forward to hitting the gym tonight for the first time in forever.

Provider 01-08-2010 08:27 AM

My last day to drink was January 4th. So this is my fourth day! Haven't been sober that many days in a row for ........like 20 years.
Going to meetings and that is helping a lot. I understand AA better now and know how hard I have to work. Day by bay...that is all I can do! Congrats to everyone for making the difficult choice to stop drinking and take back your lives!

Word!

intention 01-08-2010 09:13 AM

My last drink ever was on Saturday. I am day 6 sober.

Congratulations to all. Let's keep working it.

Krodos 01-08-2010 10:14 AM

Yeah, me quitting on the 3rd was bad.. because in my mind I was saying, 1 more weekend.

Still, I plan on staying sober this weekend. I will be keeping myself busy so as not to revert back to old habits.

Malcolms 01-08-2010 10:26 AM

Krodo's

Yup, I did the same thing. Four days off work? Four days to drink.

I made plans for this weekend, because I know it will be trouble. I've got a meeting Saturday, cleaning to do, catch up on work, and then Sunday, something I haven't done in four years. Skiing! I always said I didn't know anybody to ski with. Turns out I have plenty, I just didn't want to make the effort.

Fubarcdn 01-08-2010 12:31 PM

Congratulations on your own class thread --- Class of January 2010
From ---------- me and the ---------------- Class of January 2009

The class thread that we have is or was special to each one of us. Sadly it is thinning out but the support and memories will last for us all.
Good luck to all of you on your quest. :)

Dee74 01-08-2010 12:43 PM

Welcome to SR Krodos :)

D

wendellgee1985 01-08-2010 02:15 PM

Thanks everyone ... this is great and I am glad I joined. I am on Day 4 and had my first night of semi-decent sleep last night. I'm starting to feel better physically, and my appetite is coming back. However, my typical pattern is 7-10 days sober, then relapse for 2-3 weeks, recuperate for 7-10 days (until I feel really good again), then relapse, etc. I'm determined to stop this cycle - so I really need to be vigilant in the next few days. Tomorrow (Saturday) is also my 31st birthday, so it will be a challenge (I had originally "planned" to quit after my birthday weekend, but was too miserable to wait that long ... if that makes any sense).

I went to AA both yesterday and today, and I am planning to go tomorrow, for more support. I did not regret going to those meetings in the least.

ghostgirl 01-08-2010 03:43 PM

my last drink was dec. 31, 2009. i didn't even ring in the new year with one; i promised myself that i'd do 2010 sober. i was with my family, and everyone drinks, some pretty heavily (count me a heavy drinker, too). when new year's day came around, that afternoon my stepdad called me and wanted to know if i would be coming over to see my brother and sister in law. (they came in from another town, and weren't able to make it new years eve). i told him i hadn't planned on it, but when i spoke with my sister in law she was sounded so disappointed, so after dinner i took my daughter and myself over to spend time with the family. we love to get together... as my daughter has said, we are party people. i just have to learn to do it sober now. i'm glad i went, and although all of the adults were drinking, i did not.
i chose the first of the year because i knew that there would be so much drinking over the holidays... really, from halloween (yes, there's a party for that!!) through new year's eve. i figured i may need some sober time under my belt before i could hang at any more family parties and not drink.
so here i am... again!!
people here are so supportive... i am so grateful.

Shifty 01-08-2010 03:56 PM

Day 9 for me, sleeping right through the night now and the crazy nightmares have stopped thank God. This weekend has been a tuffy, the Mrs is away and I'm home alone trying to keep busy as bordom is a big trigger for me!

Anna 01-08-2010 03:56 PM

Hi Everybody,

It's so good to see so much support and the positive vibe on this thread.

I'm glad you're all here and doing well!

Wendellgee, I also would stop for days or weeks at a time, but then start drinking again. It took awhile to figure it out, but I was sabotaging myself. I was more afraid of succeeding and what that would mean in my life, than I was of failing. Failing was comfortable. So...I had to convince myself that I deserved a good life.