Notices

August Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 08-23-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

From the lack of posts I am convinced everyone has a life except for me! lol.......I just did not have much going on yesterday but remained commited to not drinking. It doesn't seem to cross my mind that much....this feels too good. I am starting to dream again......things are getting back to normal with brain activity I suppose. Today is day 16.......SWEET. Get it? Ok so maybe brain activity is NOT where it should be.

I am going to try for some physical activity today. I mowed down too much junk food yesterday. I need to mix it up today......do something off the wall.....

I hope you all are doing well this weekend. By the sounds of those who checked in, you are.......outstanding. Will check in later. Stand firm today.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!
Sounds like folks have done well since friday, getting through the weekend. Just one more day, huh? Cheers for you all!

I'm starting day 21 today. I thought that as the days went by, I'd not have the cravings. But I actually have worse ones now than when I first stopped? I don't get it. I was so close to getting a bottle of wine, even tried to justify to myself that I could get "just a six-pack" of beer since that really wasn't my drink of choice, there'd be no harm.

Damn those voices! The liquor store is right next door to the grocery store that I had to stop at after leaving the sale yesterday. I bought root beer instead. I didn't look at the liquor store. I felt like I was arm-wrestling with a giant. "Go this way-no, go that way." I couldn't get out of that parking lot fast enough!

I grilled burgers and that is a trigger for me also. I do most of the grilling at our house (because I'm damn good at it!) I would have before, had at least 3-4 glasses of wine while being outside grilling. I had root beer instead. When the burgers were done, I actually ate! When I was drinking, I'd continue my buzz and not eat what I had just grilled until I knew that I would pass out if I didn't eat. It was so tasty-eating hot food off the grill, instead of re-heated food.

I'd like to share a story of hope. My dad, who turned 80 this past July, is a recovering alcoholic for 27 years now. He came to the estate sale yesterday and we had a chance to talk. He said that he was so proud of me, that I was facing the fact that I have a problem and am taking steps to fix myself. He then reminded me of how bad his drinking had gotten-that forced him into his 4th and final rehab. He had reached the stage in his disease that he was so delusional he tried to choke my mother to death. That was his wake-up call. He's been sober ever since.

I told him that my mental cravings were so bad! He said that even now, he will think,"boy, a beer would sure taste good with this pizza." And this is after 27 years of sobriety! He told me that it is a lifelong battle, but we have a choice. It's training our brains to make better choices that will make the life changes happen. He said to not use negatives in my daily affirmations. Instead of saying, "I will NOT drink today," say, "I will choose to be sober," and then re-enforce the positives that I have experienced by not drinking.

He said not to dwell on the regrets, or the what ifs, or if I had onlys, or coulda, woulda, shoulda's. We can't go back and change a damn thing from the past. We can only make the choices that enhance our today.

I hope these words give some encouragement and hope for those of us struggling. If my dad, at age 50-something, who drank in excess my whole growing-up life, could find sobriety, go back to school and become a CD counselor at age 64, and as he put it, "finally know who I am," can do this, so can we. His parting words to me were, "Taking care of yourself, growing, learning, changing, is not SELFISH, it's SELF-NESS. We loose our SELF when we drink. What a joy to find our real SELF and embrace who we are everyday."

Have a great sunday, all.
Blessed Be
Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

and Good morning,
Check in : Still sober! 23 days today.
Yes VC, it does seem by the check ins that people do have a life..LOL I got the sweet 16 thing.
Lastthird, thanks for sharing about your dad. Congrads to all of us. :Sending and prayers your way.
Stay stong.

Last edited by tallcactus; 08-23-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: clarifacation
Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey thirtybubba I have to agree agout the logic part of the brain going into your back pocket after the first drink. I think that we all have lived that one and are starting to understand it and that's why we're holding each other up here. Actually I think that our perception of logic changes through rationalization....the oh so creative thinking we have when drinking can rationalize just about anything we do and then it's ok. Well not just ok but brilliant, until you talk to someone else who was around at the time and hear about things you did or said that don't quite jive with your recollection...that's if there is any recollection at all. Last night my stepson mentioned something about a couple of signs that I'd agreed to make for he and a friend. Well he had to refresh my memory on what it was that I had agreed to make...after a minute I did have a vague recollection of agreeing to make something for them but I had no clue as to what it was that I was suppose to make. I'm beginning to realize that I didn't just kill off a few brain cells, it was more of a mass slaughter...I do wonder now how many other things that I agreed to do or just said that will pop up in the future...I'm sure there will be a few on that list. It's too bad that the instant replay for a lot of us is broken, or when the tape got spliced back together a few bad pieces had to be cut out. Oh well...can't be changed so only forward we go. Keep it up folks!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Doing well and hope you all are too. The last 2 weekends I have had 2 of my best friends tell me they are getting divorced. It is so depressing and hurts so bad. I just don't get it. But anyways, feeling good and tackling another day. Hope all is well for everyone. Keep rocking!

Oh, and what is the deal with this "San Pellegrina?" Never heard of it?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey traderjane welcome back!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Sunday morning here -- I'm up! Had a whopping 9+ hours of sleep and great dreams (left the TV on to HGTV all night and dreamed about re-modeling a backyard -- LOL!)

I have so much to do today that I don't know how I'm going to tackle it all. I guess just make a list and check things off one at a time as I do them.

School starts in one week for my kids, so I've got to get the school supplies together, the forms done, etc. I'm excited for the change of seasons (as much as I love summer!)

Bdiddy -- about divorce, ahhhhhh, it happens. It happened to me and it shocked everyone who knows us. Glad you are not dealing with it, but your friends will need your support!

Good day, everyone, nice to be back here!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
KC1

Day Seven has arrived! Off to the golf course this afternoon before more rain arrives. Let's see how I play today! Anyway, I slept like a rock last night. Rather, I felt like I slept ON a rock. My entire body aches and I feel like I have been thrown against a concrete wall and trampled on. Slept for 12 hours - with NO sleeping pill. Maybe I am experiencing delayed withdrawal symptoms? My legs ache, I had terrible nightmares and was so hot I could hardly stand it. My husband was freezing cuz I had the air conditioner so low. I also have some chest discomfort, like I pulled a muscle. Ha - maybe it is delayed reaction from all of the CLEANING the past 7 days - never thought of that till just now. That said, I am addicted to my golf game, so I am not giving that up. I took a few ibuprofen and hopefully that will help. A few years ago I was taking a .25mg of Xanax every day and I started to get the same chest pains. The doc said it was actually "withdrawal" because my body wanted MORE than the .25 mg. Needless to say I stopped taking it. So I am wondering if my body is doing the same thing with the alcohol? (As well as pulled muscles from cleaning non stop).

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. bDiddy - San Pellegrino is a sparkling water from Italy. It is anywhere from $1.50 to $1.99 a quart, but I have found it at Costco and B.J.'s Wholesale for $7.99/case. Go out and get some if you have one of those wholesalers nearby. I am sure that a Sam's Club also has the same thing.

OK - gotta get a move on and get to the driving range. I will check in later on today and let you golf nuts know how I did today. No matter how my golf score is, the big score is DAY SEVEN.

KC
Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good morning gang! Day seven has been great so far. I actually got up early and mowed the lawn. That never happened when I was drinking -- I was always hungover in the mornings.

Had a friend call me at 9:30 last night wanting to go out. I was like "It's almost 10:00! I'm going to bed!" She proceeded to call me an old man and laughed at me! I remember those days when we started our Saturday nights at 10:00 and came stumbling through the door at 4:00 A.M. pissed drunk. I guess I'm growing up??

I hope you are all doing well. I've had a little bit of a hard time at night -- which is when I was drinking the most -- but it all fades when I go to bed early. Now I'm waking up well rested sans hangover.

Lastthird, thank you for that story about your dad. My dad, too, was an alcoholic. And his dad, and his dad. But he has never really been a part of my life. I emailed him a few days ago asking for his story and any advice he had for me (he's been sober for over 20 years) and nothing. No reply. Oh well, at least I have this group to lean on, right?

I hope you all have a wonderful day today. Hang in there.

Fish
Old 08-23-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi All!!!

I'm joining this group as I enter day 4 of sobriety. It's been awesome reading your stories and comments; a great distraction during the most physically challenging parts of this detox process.

I wish all of us the best as we take this journey together.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hello guys!

The end of my first sober day comes near and it's getting very hard! i'm shaking and sweaty, but i'm staying determined and that's the only thing on my mind right now!
I also feel a sleepless night coming up. I guess i'll just read a book until i close my eyes.

Hope everybody's hanging in there! Let's all stay strong together!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Welcome Carlisle and congrats on day 4. It will get better! Lots of support here with people who all are going thru or have gone thru it........stick around!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

WTG Crise........you are at the hardest part. Stand firm!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Day 14. Second weekend. Gosh! What a weekend. Thank God it's Sunday evening. I have been negociating triggers all weekend. I didn't even know that the X Factor was a trigger until the music started up! Next thing you know I have been transported back to last year and cosy Winter nights, log fires, and foaming chalices of ruby red wine. 'Hey wait a minute!' Stop this record right now!'

I didn't cave in. I've actually worked out that the killer hours are now 6-9 in the evening. By the time nine has arrived I know its been achieved. The moments of madness have subsided. Bedtime looms. Next weekend, God willing, when The X Factor music strikes up I can say...faced this booze free..'Next!'
Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I feel a little sad this evening, for a variety of reasons. But I sit here knowing that alcohol would not help. Sure it would mask those feelings for a couple of hours, but then the buzz would wear away and I'd be left feeling worse than when I started out. If I can, I am going to slip away for a run (it's hard when I have 3 kids in the house, but I'm going to try to get the au pair to stay here while I run...)

Stay strong everyone!
Old 08-23-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Monday morning here now and I'm onto day 16. I have also been taking sleeping tablets (ambien) for at least 4 or 5 years, sometimes with alcohol. Over these last 4/5 years I have never not had a day free of some sort of drug. Yesterday was the first, no alcohol and no sleeping tablet.

I should feel happier than I do but I'm a bit groggy still, almost as if I'm recovering from a bad cold.

Still as each day passes I feel mentally stronger. I haven't exercised for a week which is also strange for me but I'm going to the gym after this post and I hope to sweat the groggieness out, at least for a while.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I have been transported back to last year and cosy Winter nights, log fires, and foaming chalices of ruby red wine. 'Hey wait a minute!' Stop this record right now!'
Wow Shakespeare...you make it sound so romantic! LOL.........ruby red wine, yeah baby.

I am ready to get back to work............no temptations........just not enough to keep myself occupied this weekend........did get some cleaning done and had a long hike on the rims........I hope you all conquered the beast this weekend......

Day 17 tomorrow.......how quickly the days stack up!!

Trader, take care of YOU.........YOU are the one that can bring you happiness.....not a guy......I learned that the hard way...........in fact, I am so sick of heartache from them. I am on a man break. LOL. It's time for me for awhile. Just me........

Have a good night peeps.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi every1...I just posted on the newcomers thread...I'm new here today...my first day on the journey after a skinful yesterday...had a horrible night last night...damn those panic attacks...if you could bottle all the insomnia, anxiety, guilt, shame and sheer desperation in those hours after drinking and then open it upon the urge of wanting that 1st drink I reckon we'd all be cured....but the mind is a devious thing...we forget too quickly when we mistakingly think we can handle a 'couple' of drinks....I hope I can get through tomorrow ...one day at a time...:praying
Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
KC1

Good Evening, everyone! Well, I made it through golf today despite the high humidity and even made it through the 19th hole. Have to say - the thought of a nice cold one entered my mind about the 18th hole so when I went in, I ordered a St. Pauli Girl N.A. Once again, no one even noticed or said anything. After that I had a diet coke and came on home. I almost caved and ordered a real beer - just a light beer. Then I thought about coming on here this evening and saying that I was back to ground zero and had to start over again. The thought of doing that kept me from ordering the real thing. So thanks for that! You all helped me without even being there. I'm here sipping on my Pellegrino/Lime/Cranberry waiting for my husband to come home so we can eat the homemade spaghetti sauce I made yesterday. Hopefully I will continue to be this ambitious in the kitchen, though I would like the cleaning to slack off a little bit. Whatever it takes to not drink, yes? Have some work to do for the office, so that is going to keep me busy this evening and then it's on to Day 8.

KC
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi again -- went for a run, and it did not improve my mood. Felt a little weepy and still do... but then a light bulb went off in my head. What is the date??? I am totally PMSing!!! This makes me feel sooooo much better. There is a reason for my sad mood and it's totally hormonal, not related to being hung up on this guy from Italy. It will pass very soon... it always does. I'm sure some of you can relate

The weird part is that when I feel this sad, I don't even feel like drinking. Because I know it won't help. Well, I guess that's a good thing, right?

This mood, too, shall pass...