Notices

Serious Part 6

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Barb..

I know how I felt when I was without SR...I left a relationship..didn't know the person

was posting "for" and "about" me until I could get back on weeks later.

I had to make a decision to come back..or not...but SR is where I started my recovery

before I went back to f2f meetings..my daughter helped me find an internet cafe...

I could afford to go twice a week or so. The harassing person was banned.

I guess I'm sharing this because I know how hard it is to not be able to share here

whenever we "just feel like it." It is a privilege. Thank you for reminding me to use my

time here wisely, Barb..not just for entertainment or blowing off steam, but to be of

help to others. And I, for one..really appreciated your post on Newcomer's.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Congrats on the 8 months Donna!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Had to lie down with a headache again, fell asleep and woke up depressed and sad. I feel like me posting here in my own thread is some kind of attention seeking or something, other people don't do it, why am I doing it?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Alright Stoney, now you have to snap out of this damn depression and sadness cause it is all BS. I for one am glad you have this thread and I don't look at it like you're an attention seeker. don't ask me why i am putting this smiley here, I just like it and wanted to use it. that's all. Are you looking for reasons to feel sorry for yourself? Sorry that I am so blunt but you have been working a great program and you were starting to get out of your sad state of mind. Why are you taking steps backwards, you're suppose to be walking forward. Maybe you just need a hug so :ghug3
Old 05-25-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

And also, maybe its the damn avatar that's giving you headaches!!!! Use something that screams SERENITY maybe you won't have any headaches then.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

"SO Stone....
If you have meetings and step meetings, what are they like.
I have heard there is a big difference in meetings depending on where you are..

12 step meetings around here sometimes you cant talk if you havent been through the steps w a step study sponsor. Basically read the step and reflect on in if you have been through the frizen process. This one is definetly NOT for me !

BB meetings are read it from start to finish over a series of meeting. Everyone reads if they want to. Everyone can share or you can pass. I like these sometimes.

Speaker meetings here are a bunch of members from another group incoming on a committment to another group. For me they do in a pinch and are good socially since no one talks during the meeting except for the person at the podium from another group. I alittle less inspiring depending on the speakers...lol

Speaker discussion and topic meetings are the ones I like. I can just go and listen or if I have something relevant to the topic or just something going on in my life I can share whenever I want to.

Just my observation of MA meetings. They even seem to differ from state to state; country to country.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hello Stone and everyone. stone.....:ghug3 you are special ok!!

Believe.....congrats.

I was at a step meeting tonight. step 9

open meetings here are when we get the speakers in.
There are bb meetings around here and there.

regular meetings, I think the ones Stone goes too and the ones I like are the ones where someone chairs the meeting and anyone that wants to share ,shares.
This wed is a trad meeting in my home group.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi Believe, I just feel like I am self-obsessed, lol. Yea, some of it is probably just cause I am feeling maudlin. Thanks hun.

Hi frst, ours are nothing like those. Step meetings will be about one step each week and anyone can share....doesn't even have to be about the step though they should keep to the step, I have never seen anyone chastised for not sharing about the step. There aren't many step meetings around.

Mostly we have meetings that start with someone doing "the chair", they share there ESH for about 30 mins and then it is just anyone sharing about whatever, often with some reference to whatever the person in the chair said.
Sometimes we just start sharing without someone having done the chair first but not often.

Those speaker meetings you have sound like a platform for ego! lol Cult of personality type thing.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi Nelcs. Thanks. I thought I was special! lol
Old 05-25-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Those speaker meetings you have sound like a platform for ego! lol Cult of personality type thing.
lol

I dont like the sound of them either.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Tonight was tradition 5 mtg here.
We call those meeting meetings, discussion meetings here. Someone picks a topic and then who ever wants to can share on it.
Speaker meeting is 2 speakers from another group talk for 1/2 hr each. I like speaker meetings, I like to hear what happened and what its like now.
I actually like all the meetings, sometimes I don't like discussion mtgs only because everyone giving their opinion and 60 drunks each giving their opinion is WOW to say the least. But you take what you need and leave the rest. The good thing about a newcomer walking in is the discussion automatically goes to Step 1 or Early sobriety discussion. Also Step meetings if there are newcomers we go right back to Step 1.

Thanks Nel

Stoney, are you feeling better? I miss you
Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Believe you helped someone in Ireland tonight. I shared your story with a member who was slipping away from meetings.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

Night folks!!!!! hope your all singing now....
Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

They say you have to give it away to keep it, so thank you because you just helped me.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Thanks Nel, now that song will be in my head all night. I owe you one.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I never knew all the words though
Old 05-25-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Believe808 View Post

Stoney, are you feeling better? I miss you
Lately I either have a headache and/or am weirdly tired and tonight I am a bit sad. I would rather be the upbeat me but that isn't happening lately....I am clinging to AA and my Program. I really have never been as committed as I am now. I jsut feel physically crappy and it is taking a toll on my mood.
I am doing my best and going with the flow as much as I can.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nelco View Post
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

Night folks!!!!! hope your all singing now....
Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey Stoney et al

Great to see everybody. I just scarfed down some mac and cheese - daughter has martial arts and I have a meeting to get to. Just got home from work, picked up gf and her toddler, and took her to have her wedding dress fitted. She is getting married this coming weekend! It's a very exciting time. She and I have almost the exact same sobriety date and live really close to one another so we share a special bond.

Paul, I'm sorry for your current state of mind. It makes things THAT much harder, I know. And I know Donna wasn't being literal when she suggested you snap out of your depression. I'm sure we all know that it simply isn't that easy to do. What IS important, in my mind, is to follow through on your/our commitments, even when we feel less-than. It's very hard for me to go to meetings when I am depressed, and I don't always, but most often I do. In early sobriety it was a given. I went to a meeting no matter WHAT. Sometimes every day.

And speaker meetings are NOT platforms for the ego LOL I have been speaker many times and have shared for 30-40 minutes. It's an opportunity to share your story from start to finish, and can have a profound impact on the listener, especially newcomers. I have heard many speakers who gave me hope, just by listening to their message of recovery.

I think you are doing really well, Paul, and I am proud of you for taking action. I know I keep saying that -and it's because it's true. One day, you will be the chair at a meeting and you will inspire someone new. I never thought I had the power to influence anyone, I hated myself so bad - but it's happened - and it can happen for you, too.

Hugs and love to you all - I think y'all are so great.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

What IS important, in my mind, is to follow through on your/our commitments, even when we feel less-than.
I agree and I am doing that. Thanks Ro.