Notices

Class of November Part 6

Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

I think i'm going to change my signature to something that makes more sense to me
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
getting there

Oh, Pix and Wonkey :ghug3. Wonkey I love the signature. You guys know what you need to do... Pixy am I wrong or is this the second time you've drank around 10 days? Mine used to be 14 days and once I focused harder on getting past that I found my next point at 35 days (ok, not perfect, but progress!). Today is day 34 for me, so now I'm focusing on not making the same fuckwit mistake for the third time!

Jiggy and LB - good job on the not drinking!

Nands - what's this about being fired? Did I miss something?

OK, I'm off to work now... really!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

for goodness sake! At least check out the secular thread...soemtimes we get a little into why AA doesn't work for some of us, but mostly there are some good tips for how to not drink when you don't do the AA thing....

Jiggy....well, you know what i think on the pot thing or other drugs...leading to relapse for me and many others, but You are walking through this sobriety thing with honesty and integrity so you will find what works for you...I am soooooo stoked on everyones sober time!!!!! just lifts my heart

gotta do the work thing now (hug)
Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

The secular thread sounds a bit cultist

I'm not gonna end up as an extra in the remake of rosemarys baby am i?

I know what I need to do

Its just doing it thats proving troublesome

The dark clouds might just be lifting
Old 02-03-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I know the feeling nands, when you get yourself to the point at work when you know you make one more mistake and ... ! Keep your mind focused. Jobs are important things. Your mum is like my kids as far as the computer is concerned.

Now, wonkey!! You hold hands up north? ewwww! We don't! Who knows where people have been!!! And plenty of atheists in our group. In fact, AA transcends religion.

We have quite a few Irish folks, in the group and coming to do chairs. Irish folks who would have been happy to blow each other up in the not so distant past. But in AA, that religious/political divide doesn't exist.

It is about spirituality, which has nowt to do with organised religion. No class either. Lots of blokes who used to work in the City taking advice from a bloke that swept the London streets. What they have in common is that they could all drink on the job and get away with it for a long time!!

Each to their own. It's just that you and the drink reminds me of me and the pills. Round and round in circles. Of course all we have to do is stop. But I just can't for any length of time. And I'm slowly facing up to the fact that AA might not be enough to beat these things. I think I'll have to go to NA. Even if it is just to pick up one 24 hour chip after another. I could make a nice Roman suit of armour out of them all!! Ooops, wrong thread.

LB xx (hugs) for the wounded!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
Lots of blokes who used to work in the City taking advice from a bloke that swept the London streets. What they have in common is that they could all drink on the job and get away with it for a long time!!

I soooooooo relate!

Givin my current sober job situation it is particularly funny.....ok ok back to work
Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

LB

I've only been to 1 meeting a few times but there was a lot of hand holding, praying and it was in a church hall.

Lovely people and while i'm there it makes sense

When I leave i think fook that

I am slowly driving myself insane, round and round I go.

I know exactly what i need to do but refuse to do it

This latest little period since I got back from france has just topped it off.

Totally sick of it, I don't think being ill helps. You mope and that adds to the feeling of depression. But really its all bollocks

I just need to stop drinking
Old 02-03-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I'm ill tooooo Wonkey, sobs! And it is depressing and I'm taking pills for it (and some opiate cough medicine) so I shan't judge you on anything you do.

How about another meeting - I think almost all of them are in church halls, just becoz church halls are rather more abundant than other types of halls. The only halls in our village are attached to churches.

One of my meetings is in a mental hospital, but that doesn't mean we all have to be committed to attend!! In fact, the patients who attend the meeting seem very sane to me, which worries me somewhat!

Hugs and kisses for the Donkey!! No holding hands tho!!! That would be soppy!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

No holding hands but you've tied a pink ribbon to my tail...

There's a story...

Maybe i'd just gone to a mental meeting? It could have been a swingers club or something!!!

It was very interesting and there were some interesting (+ some mentalists) people there.

I do think Master Fizzy has something with his "just stop drinking" idea though rather than the entire AA lark

I do really do organized anything if i'm honest so attending a meeting every night or whatever isn't really gonna happen

I think the key thing is I need to change how I feel about it. Because at the moment I'm concentrating way too much on the social aspect that i'm gonna miss out on rather than the destruction of my life

Thats something only I can change though
Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheWonkydonkey View Post
I do really do organized anything if i'm honest so attending a meeting every night or whatever isn't really gonna happen

OMG so me....all or nothing lol........not pushing on AA wonks i promis, its the thinking i find so like mine...not a meeting every once and a while, a meeting once a week....but EVERY NIGHT

Honestly...I only go to 3 a week and I like it.......If i didn't once a week would be plenty as far as that goes...

OK everyone...focus on what you can/will do...not what you can't/won't I get stuck in that hole quite often, learning to walk around it....
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

All or nothing babes

Its the wonky way

No compromises

Bollock deep or not at all

Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

It's funny that my dad was in AA all those years and he was not the hold hand huggy sort. Fizzy reminds me of him.

He used to attend meetings in mental Hospitals and prisons, I remember him telling us about a guy that was doing life for murdering his wife, he remembered nothing of the incident yet he will spend the rest of his life in prison. My dad said he was a really nice guy.

LB hope you feel better soon.

Wonky you know what to do and you will do it!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

Yeah I do know what to do. Now I just need to do it. Stop with the bull and either do it or shut up

Frankly im bored of this little game
Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Administrator

ok well I've started so I'll finish...

JigOv...mate...

I have to say it Gav - the weed thing?
I don't give a toss what AA or NA or anyone says...

I used drink to escape my reality - whether I was bored, scared, lonely, sad, angry...whatever.

I used pot in the same way. It's not a step forward mate - it's a side step.
Same sea of sh*t, different leaky boat.

That's my lecture done with.

I dunno - I used to be the liberal round here, now I'm the cranky old guy.
Progress LOL

D
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I went to one AA meeting about 10ish years ago, decided it wasn't for me and that was that.

Who knows, I've I'd given it a better chance maybe I could have missed some of the following years, I'd also be a different person than I am now.

Can really relate to Wonkey's post of why he wants to go it alone, I do too.

Just don't be still kicking around in 10 years still trying mate. I appreciate the vote of confidence but its got to work for you.

Thought of going off out to a meeting even once a week doesn't appeal to me, I like doing it on my own, telling nobody ( apart from you lot ) and getting on with it.

Does get lonely with no face to face support at times though ........................

I have started telling people I don't drink anymore as well, makes things easier.

Thing is, I don't think there is any way to do this thats easy, something we're all going to have to work at for a long long time.

If you put it in perspective, you've been sober Pixy what, 9 out of the last 10 days and Wonkey 4 out of 6 or something.

There was a time I'd have been so happy to be able to cut down to that, I always drank every day, ALWAYS !!!!!!!!!!

Have you considered that maybe being able to cut down to once/twice a week is all you need to do for you ?

Maybe total abstinence isn't neccesarily the only solution to the problem for everyone !!!!!!

Might attract some stick for this post but there you go ...............
Old 02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Solid slap on that one Fizzy....ok it could be true, but highly unlikely...like really really highly unlikely....

I think all of us have already tried the control expereiment out of the way already....

nice theory but just doesn't cut it...

but glad you shared it cause it is possible for some people, just not the one's posting here.

I've always said I have no problem at all calling someone else an alchoholic. crp on self definition if it's plain as the nose on your face

polite discussion is all
Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

No Fizzy I'm all or nothing! I just couldn't do that . But I'm more sober than drinking at the min. And that can only be a good thing

I just dont want to drink, believe it or not!

Got the rest of the week off
Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Thats good to hear Pixy and what I suspected !!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to challenge you on it, see if we can find some answers for you !!!!!!!!

The questions are easier asked than the answers are too find I'm afraid.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I'm talking about the all or nothing, I didn't suspect you had the rest of the week off !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

thank you fizzy