i cut

Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
drop dead gorgeous

not well
Old 06-08-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm leaving the office to head home, how about posting a little more about how you're feeling? I'll try to check back later on tonight.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

kermie here! How are you doing? Been thinking about ya, you are in my prayers.
Take care,
Lynne
Old 06-17-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by helpwanted101 View Post
i don't know how to stop
Hi there. I understand your pain. I used to cut up until just a few months ago. Here are a few things you can do when you feel like cutting:

-- Go to your freezer and grab a handful of ice or something else frozen. Squeeze it as hard as you can. This gives you a similar endorphin release without the scars.
--Go exercise. This could be on a treadmill, just jogging or walking briskly up and down the stairs or walking around your block. Do it for between 15-30 minutes, 30 minutes to get the full psychological benefits.
--Force yourself to do something you enjoy or that makes you happy. For me that was watching something that made me laugh or listening to upbeat music.
--Masturbate. You may not feel like it when you want to cut but this is a great way to get an even better endorphin rush.
--Eat something you enjoy. It's not necessarily healthy to replace cutting with eating possibly bad foods, but it's not as bad as cutting.
--You may cut because you're depressed and hate yourself and want to punish yourself. Think about what a friend or even stranger would say about your choice to punish yourself. They'd forgive you. Your family and friends don't want you to hurt yourself life that, think how that'd affect them. Be willing to forgive yourself just this once.
--Most of my cutting happened when I was hungover, drunk or high on drugs. Get yourself into AA or a similar recovery program if that's a problem for you. You may need an antidepressant to adjust your chemicals which can help greatly.
--Call a friend or talk to a family member. Sometimes talking to a stranger may be best because of how friends and family will react so feel free to call 1-800-SUICIDE or write to The Samaritans at [email protected]. I know it's usually for suicidal people, but cutting is just a step away from suicide, so they can help you.
--Find yourself a good therapist, preferably one who uses cognitive behavioral therapy. If you're an alcoholic or have a drinking problem, find someone who does dual diagnostic treatment.
--One of the things that made me stop was realizing how it would affect my romantic relationships, that I can't wear shorts and that I can't go swimming.
--Mainly find activities that replace cutting that are equally enjoyable.

Good luck and take care,

Clayton
Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Clayton, thank you for posting and sharing your experience and suggestions, it's greatly appreciated on this topic.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
drop dead gorgeous

hey i am leaving today for a two week camp. i won't be able to get on.:ghug
Old 06-20-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hi, Helpwanted...just logging on for the first time in awhile and seeing this thread. I used to cut. Still have the urge every now and then. Clay gave some great suggestions. I used to draw on myself (red marker, of course) where I wanted to cut. I would tend to cut when I was drunk/high and angry or sad. If it was an angry time, I had a piece of wood (just like a 2x4 or something like that) that I would "cut" instead of me. It helped with the aggression because I could be way more violent and damaging to that wood than I could be with myself. Of course, the best alternative coping mechanisms depend on the original motivation to cut.
I've always thought part of the first steps to recovery is really understanding the problem. If you don't understand what's wrong, it's really hard to fix it. When I was diagnosed with bipolar, I started doing research (granted, I'm a neuroscientist, so I already had a pretty good knowledge base of the physical side of stuff, but I had no idea how to LIVE with it)
Anyway...there are some really good books on cutting and understanding it.
For example, Cutting by Steven Levenkron; Skin Game by Caroline Kettlewell; A Bright Red Scream by Marilee Strong...
Of course, if reading about it would be a trigger for you to want to cut, then perhaps I'd avoid this...but it always helps me to try to understand what it is I'm really dealing with. Naturally, a good therapy session helps, too
Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
drop dead gorgeous

hey i am home from camp
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hi helpwanted101. I hope things are better for you. I just wanted you to know you're not alone. I used to cut regularly, but now not as much.

I know it's a really difficult coping mechanism to get rid of, but I hope you find a way.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How was camp, and how are you doing? Thanks for checking in, it's good to hear from you again.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Hope camp was fun, let us know how you are doing!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
drop dead gorgeous

last night i had a really bad panic attack. i actually passed out for like 2 minutes. then i cut and felt peace.

i'm 17 now!!!!! my bday was june 25......
Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Happy Birthday, and it's good to hear from you! But I have to admit that I wish you hadn't cut. Hugs and prayers going out for you. Keep checking in, and do your best to take good care of yourself.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

Google DBT therapy and you'll find some great ways to help you replace the cutting with actions that are more healthy to deal with your feelings and thoughts. It's not easy but it can be done. Also you may find journaling your feelings at the time when you want to cut helpful to figure out what it is that is driving you to self harm. When you find the pattern of feelings try to replace it with something less harmful and most of all you need to find a DR. to trust and have as support.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
drop dead gorgeous

not much for talking all fir cutting......
Old 07-23-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
drop dead gorgeous

i'mnot doing too great
Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpwanted101 View Post
i'mnot doing too great
Do something for me okay? If you feel like cutting, I want you to sit down for 5 minutes and do deep breathing. If you still feel like hurting yourself, go to the freezer, get a few ice cubes and squeeze them as hard as you can until you can't take the pain anymore. If that doesn't do it, then call 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and they can just listen to you and help you through this troublesome moment. Just remember that you don't want to cut yourself and there are other ways to relive the pain.

Take care and check in with us tomorrow. We care about you.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
drop dead gorgeous

made it. can't see the puter
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

I don't have anything much to say except that I'm thinking about you. Hope today is a better day
Old 07-26-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey help, how about doing something nice for yourself today?