SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   i cut (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/170982-i-cut.html)

helpwanted101 03-05-2009 01:24 PM

i cut

i don't know how to stop:a108:

123bubblegum123 03-05-2009 01:36 PM

definitely seek professional help! a counselor will most likely be able to help you get to the bottom of why you are being destructive to yourself. Also, the chats on this website offer a great way for you to talk to other people/ask for help/connect!

take care and stay strong!!
Rachel

tommygnosis 03-05-2009 01:52 PM

It's tough, but hang in there. I rarely cut anymore, but it took a while to replace that with a better coping mechanism. I haven't posted enough to be allowed to post links in a message, but google secret shame (self-injury information and support) it has a lot of great information. Also, the sites in the self-injury sticky post at the top of this forum.

jessie82 03-05-2009 02:04 PM

God will help those that help themseleves.

aasharon90 03-05-2009 02:09 PM

Hi and welcome to SR.

Im Sharon and Im an alcoholic.

I used alcohol as my escape to
numb many problems I had.
Back in my day I dont think
there was cutting or at least
I wasnt aware of it.

To be honest I was pretty
nieve to lots of things happening
around me.

Just like when i went into
rehab back in Aug. 90, i
found about all those drugs
people were using around
me and had no idea.

I suppose i thought alcohol
was safe enough...however
it became poison to me an
almost took my life.

Once i recieved the tools and
knowledge of my disease then
I was set on the path of
recovery learning to live one
day at a time with out
Alcohol.

So can you with your situation.

Ive seen a number of movies
on tv which was a good way
to let people like me be aware
of other ways people can harm
themselves other than with
drugs or alcohol.

Whatever you are dealing with
there is a solution for it....a
healthier solution that will
unlock all those closed doors
with fears, anxiety,depression,
low self-esteem.

There is hope ....something
I didnt believe in until the key
of willingness was turned.

I was willing along with help
from others to do what it takes
to get to that peace and
serenity.

We r here to listen to you and
suggest things to help but u
have to be willing to grab
someones hand and hold on
tight till u r strong enough
to stand on ur own.

Hang on. We're here to help.

Done_With_It 03-05-2009 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by jessie82 (Post 2137176)
God will help those that help themseleves.

Yes, and that is probably why she is here asking for help.

As was posted before there are a lot of great links in

THIS POST

Keep posting a lot of us have been in your shoes before, there is help
out there and you can recover from self harm.

:ghug

helpwanted101 03-05-2009 02:39 PM

i'm 16.....

what is a sticky`¿?:ghug3

Done_With_It 03-05-2009 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by helpwanted101 (Post 2137218)
i'm 16.....

what is a sticky`¿?:ghug3

It's the link I just posted.

The posts at the top of each forum.

Usually the post that we deem the most important for each forum.

:ghug3

aasharon90 03-05-2009 02:48 PM

Hi and welcome to SR.

Shared above. Thanks

Jrock75 03-05-2009 03:40 PM

I hope coming to this forum and talking about your problem has taken a burden off your back,while I have never pesonally self-cut or anything I was suicidal at one point in my life (18-19 yrs old),so I know that dark place you're in well. Just know that by talking about your problems/feelings with others will show you that you're not alone,no matter how isolated you feel you are,there are others feeling exactly the same as you. And even though there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel...... there is trust me.

And on a final note if you can't keep yourself from doing self-harm then please get help, You said you were 16 right? Well then you have your whole life ahead of you,please get help.:praying

helpwanted101 03-07-2009 10:23 AM

i have professional help thats not helping

Done_With_It 03-07-2009 10:41 AM

Did you look at those links at all?

the impulse control log is really helpful for a lot of people,
a lot of other useful info. in their aas well.

mle-sober 03-07-2009 10:56 AM

Honey,

Coming from a person who spent over a decade trying to manage and control my cutting, let me tell you that I am sorry your are facing this fight. It can be very difficult, I know. And it's so hard to explain and understand.

I found myself cutting myself at times of extreme stress. I have some pretty bad scars. The worst times were when I was also drinking. So, if you're drinking or using drugs, part of getting your cutting under control might be linked to getting your drinking and using under control.

Besides the alcohol issue, the biggest fact that helped me stop cutting was to really address the abuse issues in my past. I had a very neglectful and abusive childhood and then was raped as a young woman. I tried to pretend that none of that hurt me and that I was so strong. But in order to keep up the veneer, I drank heavily and cut myself. When I stopped trying to keep up the appearance of being "just fine" and began to work with someone who could carefully help me sort through my feelings surrounding the trauma in my childhood and the rape, then I was able to slowly (very slowly) find some balance in my life and stop cutting.

I also don't think it would have happened if I hadn't been diagnosed Bipolar and given the right medicines.

So - the right diagnosis, the right meds, quitting drinking, and working with a really good counselor - those were the things I had to do to stop cutting. It's been about 2 years since I cut myself now and I rarely have even the slightest glimmer of wanting to do so.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this issue. I know it's hard. You're doing a good thing by coming here. You are young and brave to start seeking out your own recovery. I give you a lot of credit for that.

Are your parents helpful at all? Can you let them know that the professional you are seeing isn't helping and maybe change counselors? I would be interested if you felt like sharing, what the rest of your life looks like.

- Emilie

helpwanted101 03-07-2009 01:31 PM

i belong to bus:ghug

mle-sober 03-07-2009 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by helpwanted101 (Post 2139768)
i belong to bus:ghug

I don't know what you mean when you say that. (?) What is bus?

Done_With_It 03-07-2009 05:03 PM

It's a self harm board.

(bodies under siege)

helpwanted101 03-07-2009 07:30 PM

and i belong to Teen Hope Line

mle-sober 03-07-2009 09:37 PM

HelpWanted101 -

Do you have any older f2f person you can confide in? A therapist? A trusted school teacher? A family member?

Even though you are 16 and I know I felt grown-up at 16, you are still dealing with a lot of stuff that is probably too big for you to handle alone. You still need someone looking out for you. Do you have anyone?

helpwanted101 03-08-2009 07:42 PM

no i do not......i'm alone in this battle