Notices

Movie Club against depression

Old 08-03-2003, 05:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know which scene from "Cries and Whispers" you mean, Juls! Tammie, be careful when you watch it. But Bergman´s films are so incredibly intense, I think it´s just what you need right now. It will affect you in adifferent way. :p

Use adversity
Old 08-03-2003, 05:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Years ago what did the trick was to watch some of these talk shows like Jenny Jones to Jerry Springer, I felt incredibly intelligent and together after watching them!!LOL!! I can't bear to watch them now, of course~they simply irritate me..Sometimes writing character profiles helps me, I can write in any quality, and vices I want!! Pick the height, weight and eye color, and on and on.... If I could only finish what I start now!:p
Old 08-04-2003, 12:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I´m not sure we have these shows here in Paris, but whenever I feel the depression coming on I try to watch shows on obsession and compulsion. They get some people with the strangest obsessions to come and talk about it on TV, plus a documentary team stays with them for 24 hours. Then a psychiatrist answers questions and recommends treatment.

In one show there was a young woman obsessed with drinking diet-Coke. She lived only for that and slept 3 hours a night to be able to drink it. She drank about a gallon a day. Then there was another one who ate her hair! With the roots! I felt sick watching it, but somehow I realized I´m not as crazy I might think.

Then there are the Relationship/Sex shows on. I feel embarrassed when I watch that. Husbands and wives are shown on TV and usually the mistress too. They talk openly about their impotence, frigidity etc.

You must have similar shows in the States?
Use adversity
Old 08-04-2003, 01:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Boy Lilya,

we do have some wild shows on here, but I've never heard or seen one about a person who lives to drink diet coke. I feel saner already.

Last night the move "Pay it Forward" was on t.v. It was a good movie. About a kid who for a social studies project decides to do three good deeds for other people, then tell them that they have to do the same for others. I won't tell the ending though.

Juls
Old 08-04-2003, 01:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Pay It Forward is an awesome movie!!~
Old 08-04-2003, 01:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yes, "Pay it forward" moved me too. Have you seen "The Green mile"?

Use adversity
Old 08-04-2003, 01:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I need to sit down and watch The Green Mile again..I used to not be able to sit through a movie entirely, I had to get up and clean, or move around, my husband thinks me insane, I told him I just get to enjoy a movie thoroughly, after 2-3 tries I see the whole thing!!!~:p
Old 08-04-2003, 02:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

2Stop,

I'm the same way. If I go to the movies it's different, but if I rent a movie to watch at home, I have a hard time staying seated to watch it.

Plus, if it's an movie that's inappropriate for my six year old I have to wait until after she's asleep to watch it, usually by then I'm too tired to watch it. LOL

I really did like the Green Mile though. One of my favorite thrillers is the one with Jack Nicholsone where they're in that huge hotel in the winter?

Juls
Old 08-04-2003, 02:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

A movie I really enjoy is Communion with Christopher Walken~The real guy behind the movie..Whitley Streiber has quite a story. I live about 3 and a half hours from the cabin where the abductions/visits were supposed to have happened, I don't know but I've always wanted to go see the area. It doesn't seem like it could be true at all, but there's some strange phenomena in this world, for sure!~
Old 08-04-2003, 06:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It´s funny, but I´m the same. I also like to watch a movie, then stop after 40 minutes, work, sit down again and resume watching, then work or clean. Sometimes I make deals for my film festivals in between scenes, or work on my books. Maybe it has to do with my neurosis.

The Green Mile I loved for it´s spirituality and I love Frank Darabont´s work, in particular "The Shawshank Redemption". That is one of the best American movies I´ve seen. For depression, it´s unbelievable, because it offers so much hope.

Don´t you mean "The Shining", Juls? By Stanley Kubrick with Jack Nicholson? That´s a classic! I had to analyze it in film class and I remember being so scared the blood froze in my veins. Some years later I watched it alone in my London house when my ex-husband was away. I had trouble sleeping afterwards, I can tell you that! I never saw such ghastly twins in my life. But it´s a beautifully made movie.

"Communion" I haven´t seen yet, but I would like to. I´ll check the scenery near your place, Tammie.

Now I´m checking the movies I saw 10-15 years ago. I´m watching "Basic Instinct" and "Seven Years in Tibet" by Jean-Jacques Annaud.
Use adversity
Old 08-04-2003, 08:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I just watched Basic Instinct, and I enjoyed Seven Years in Tibet.
Yes, The Shining, that's the one. I saw it first when I was about 18 or 19. It was sooooo scary. I was really sorry that the black dude got killed off. I forget his name.

Shawshank I've seen about a dozen times. I always have to FF the rape parts, can't watch those.

Tammie, what is the movie "Communion?" I've never heard of it, but if it's the same guy a Whitley Streiber used to a show called "Dreamland" on a radio station I listen to. Did you ever hear of it?

I don't think he's on anymore though, it used to be on Sunday nights.

Juls
Old 08-06-2003, 02:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

These are the flicks I rely on when I've got the blues:

Chocolat
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
As Good As It Gets (I love the bathroom scene)
Like Water for Chocolate (I do like the book best though)
Fantasia
Billy Elliot
and
any Muppet movie. They kill me
Just curious....was anyone else as taken with The Hours as I was. I know about the awards; what I find remarkable are the facial expressions in that film.
Mamabear
Old 08-06-2003, 03:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Yes, Juls, Dreamland with Whitley Streiber..I used to listen to it, the movie is about his experinences at the family cabin in NY state, You should watch it sometime..I think you'd find it pretty good..
Mamabear, I love the movie What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Chocolat is very good too, Oh that Johnny Depp can put a smile on my face again..what a cutie!!~ :p
Lilya, I'll have to watch The Shining, I don't think I've seen it, my brain has been quitting on me lately though, will probably get it, sit down to watch it and Say OH I've seen this, I love it...and I used to have almost photographic memory, hope it comes back soon
Old 08-07-2003, 07:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Ya know a movie I have always loved is The Sound of Music...I need to get that one again for my collection...
Old 08-09-2003, 06:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Funny you should mention "Sound of music", Tammie. I was just telling my friend, who was with me in Toulouse, that I wanted to buy that film on DVD, plus "Gone with the Wind" and "Mary Poppins". All the films that affected me when I was a kid.

You must know "The Shining". We were also talking about horror films and ghosts in Toulouse after dark. We both agreed it´s one of the most frightening films we ever saw. It´s one of Stanley Kubrick´s masterpiece adapted from Stephen King´s "The Shining". About that guy who has writer´s block, becomes a caretaker in a huge hotel in the middle of nowhere and he and his family get stuck in a blizzard. The twins, The "Red room", the maze... Terrifying but great. :p
Any luck on Bergman´s movie?

Oh, and Mamabear, I was just as taken with "The Hours" as you were. A masterpiece.

Use adversity
Old 08-12-2003, 05:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Anybody have suggestions for movies that tickle their funny bones?? I need a good belly laugh. Peter Sellars in Pink Panther and Analyze This always get me. Also, I got a kick out of Ellen Degeneres's fish in Finding Nemo.
Mamabear

p.s. I posted this as a separate thread ...oops...sorry
Old 08-12-2003, 05:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Analyze That was good too, I liked Two Weeks Notice w/Sandra Bullock, Bringing Down The House is pretty good, I always get a good laugh out of Steve Martin movies, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was pretty funny! I'll try and think of some more.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:39 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm almost embarassed to say this, but I like that movie "Striptease" with Demi Moore. It's pretty funny. I like the Sound of Music, and Audry Hepburn movies. Gone with the Wind is a Classic.

Uncle Buck I think is so funny too.

Tammie, I'll have to look for that movie Communion.

Juls
Old 08-13-2003, 07:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Lilya~ Haven't been able to get the Bergman movies yet, but am dying to see them..... There's so much going on with moving and kids getting ready for school..it's been a madhouse around here.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Okay - doesn't anyone like Barbra Streisand around here????

Funny Girl
Funny Lady

How can you not LOVE them!!