Notices

Movie Club against depression

Old 10-29-2003, 03:58 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Tammie, Tammie! You deserve to take care of yourself! The body is the temple of the soul.

I have always dreaded these examinations because I have an irrational fear I have either aids or cancer. I´ve had this fear since I was in my twenties. But in this case, I force myself through the fear and go for tests regularily. It was good that I did, because I had pretty bad precancerous cells in my utérian col (what is that in English?) and had an operation. I have to have it checked regularily. I urge you to do the same. You deserve it!

Use adversity
Old 10-29-2003, 04:01 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I know Lilya, and I believe you're right the body is the temple of the soul. It is still so new to me taking care of myself. I am amzed at just how far down I let myself go, but like Juls has said..as far down as I have been is as far up I can rise...and that excites me because baby I will be able to fly!! LOL!! I'll "get it" one day!!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:18 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Tammie,

We all go far down, then rise up again, unlike the people who is on an even keel in life. That´s the beauty of our disease.

Now, everyone. A question. What are the three scariest movies you have ever, ever seen?

And I mean real terror. Nightmare scared. Then tell me why.

I´ll tell you mine:

1. The Shining
Why: Being scared of underlying insanity that can just submerge. Being in an old, isolated place for a long period of time and having nightmare vision - like the twins and the scene in the bath-tub.

2. Face to face (by Ingmar Bergman).
Why: I confronted my own deepsided fears about old age and I thought my heart would stop when I saw the scene in Liv Ullmann´s grandparent´s house. My hairs litterarily stood on ends.

3. The Handmaiden´s Tale (By Volker Schlöndorff)
Why: The film just made me sick in a bizarre sort of way. I couldn´t take it. I believe it made me confront my fears of living in a society of dictatorship where the government can do everything to you - leaves you powerless.

Use adversity
Old 10-29-2003, 10:15 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Speaking of cancer tests, I'm going for my uterine biopsy on the 10th of November, and I hope it comes out clear.

Lilya, I hope yours goes well. I know the kind of apprehension you feel. Tammie, after awhile taking care of yourself will become second nature. You deserve it. Actually I don't mind to have the nurse in the room, especially if it is a male dr. since I have had dr.s do inappropiate things.

I have had a very busy day today. I have been over at my old house cleaning and getting it ready to close escrow on Friday. My 7 yr old daughter fell and hurt her knee while I was there and I had to taker her to the urgent care. Everything is fine though.

I had a very exciting thing to day. I received my "Piece de Resistance," today in the mail, of the figurines I collect. It is a beautiful piece, very large, of a young girl holding a dove in each hand. It is signed on the base by the artist, and came in the original box. This is an incredible piece to me. It is the first signed piece I have ever picked up. I am so excited to have it.

Lilya, I have to ditto those same movies that you mentioned for the same reasons.

Juls
Old 10-30-2003, 12:24 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Tammie and Lilya,

This is an excerpt from the radio show I like to listen too:

"The Demon Asteroth
Tonight's guest Aaron Donahue has remote viewed The Goetic Demons, which he explains are "72 evocations" that reveal Luciferian aspects. Pictured above (click here for larger) is Asteroth, "an entity not of our solar system," writes Donahue, "that is part of an important process involving Lucifer and the initiation of our human race."

Sorry, I didn't know how to import the pic. If you want to see it go to: coasttocoastam.com

Juls
Old 10-30-2003, 11:49 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

phew....glad I had my flu shot. Hope you're doing better, Tammie and Lilya.
Ya gotta pick up this book : The Elegant Gathering of White Snows by Kris Radish. The style's not the best but it's an awesome girl's book!!! I think you'll all enjoy it. Easy reading...very comforting. A group of women have had it and they take off...walking.... for days and days. In the process they tell their stories. Feels a lot like this board actually.
(((love)))
Mamabear
Old 10-30-2003, 03:01 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Gosh, I´m exhausted! What a day.

The cancer check went well, but I´ll get my results in 3 weeks. Everything seemed fine. I didn´t make a song and dance about the chaperone this time. I just went with the flow. Then I had a date with the tax collector - I payed the IRS a huge amount ten days ago, but they never received it, so we had to call the bank and look for the payment. Turned out it was vired to the wrong department. They were about to seize my car! Thankfully, everything went well, but I had my niece with me and she´s five. Then work!

The book sounds interesting, Mamabear, but I can´t figure out these figurines, Juls. Are they made of sapphire? Vow!

I like this Radio station. I wish I could listen to it properly.

I cannot find my lucky charms. I had my chain repaired and now I can wear them, but they´re lost. I wonder what that means.

Now I´m in my favourite, ugly Russian dressing gown and am about to put my feet up. A good old horror is what is required here tonight!

Use adversity
Old 10-31-2003, 06:27 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Lilya and Juls,

Sending good thoughts for your biopsies. Good for you both for going through with it. I don't have an ugly Russian dressing gown but I do have teddy bear pj's !!! Very soft and cuddly. Ahh! My next biopsy is mid December. there's got to be an easier way.
Mamabear
Old 10-31-2003, 10:18 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Lilya,

You tried to listen to the coast to coast show? I pay to listen right now, because I do not get good reception where i live. It is 6.50 a month.

The figurines are not Saphire, like the gem, they are "Zaphir." There is one now on E-bay. Do a search for Zaphir and you will see it.

Thank you MB for your good thoughts. Why do you have to go so soon for another biopsy?

Lilya, I am always misplacing my jewelry things. One time my husband bought me a beautiful Sterling Silver bracelet with a large amethyst. The setting came loose, so I took the Amethyst out. Since it was out I decided to take it to a jeweler to have it appraised. I forgot all about it. A year later, almost to the day, the jewelers called me and said they still had the amethyst. LOL

Another time I bought myself a pair of very unsual earrings. They were Sterling, with a black onyx panther, and some kind of crystal looking stone, like amethyst in it.

I went to a party, and afterwards I slipped them off and put them in my coat pocket. Later I could find only one. They weren't outrageously expensive, like hundreds of dollars, but they were expensive for me at the time.

Now I don't buy myself expensive earrings and things, because I'm likely to lose and misplace them. I figure if I am losing and misplace things then that must mean I have too many.

I am cozy in my sweats right now. I also have a really ugly granny nightgown that I like to wear in winter when it's cold. LOL

Juls
Old 11-01-2003, 04:55 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

hi Juls,

In order to stay on the hormone I am on (progestin) I must have endometrial biopsies every 4 months. There is no blood test that shows it is working. The cell growth is compared to previous biopsies. Hopefully more of the right type of cells will grow if I take the progestin (I am estrogen dominant). I can tell for sure that it helps my symptoms!!! That's why it's worth it to me. Also if there are any funky cells they can be identified too. Although that's pretty unlikely on progestin. it's the estrogens that are troublesome.
Hey, you should see the beautiful leaves here in the Northeast. Oranges, reds, yellows. So pretty. This is the time of year I like living here most. In a couple of months I'll visit you for the sunshine, ok?
(((Mamambear))))
Old 11-01-2003, 05:29 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Hi girls,

I was so tired yesterday evening I almost threw up. I cannot even get dressed yet, I´m in my big, Russian, patchwork dressing gown working on my book. The deadline is near. I also have a film festival to promote and tonight is a big anniversery party I don´t intend to miss.

I wish women didn´t have to go through all this cancer stuff and hormones. It´s so true what Bela Lugosi said that women like horror movies because we are used to pain and blood.

Juls, I didn´t listen to the station but I looked at it on internet. But tell me, how are things in California? Are you OK and your folks? It´s terrible with the forest fires.

I have a question. Who are your favorite three male movie stars?
And another one: Three most irritating ones?

Use adversity
Old 11-01-2003, 08:54 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Mamabear, you are welcome here any time, o.k.? The fires are nowhere near where I live. I live several hours north of the Los Angeles/San Diego area. I feel so badly for those who have suffered from them though. They are having me take estrogen to control the bleeding. It did stop, and I stopped taking the hormone pills for two days, and then it started up very heavy again, so I went back to the pills. I will stay on them until the Dr. says otherwise. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for the biopsy test. Gives me to much time to worry. I am taking supplements though to build myself up. One is a product called "Floradix, Iron + Herbs," which is very good.

Lilya, I am going to be like a mother here and tell you you are pushing yourself too hard. A party is not worth getting sick again. Please slow down. We need you here, and others also and don't want to see you ill. O.K.?

As far as my three favorite male actors, it is hard to say. I like Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacy. Those are the first 3 that come to mind. It can depend on the movie. For instance John Travolta in Pulp Fiction I thought was great. Nicholas Cage, James Macy, Jeremy Irons, James Woods, are also male actors that I like. Oh, and Anthony Hopkins, Dustin Hoffman, Al pacino, Marlon Brando, Tom Cruise in some things like Rainman, and the movie where he is a sports agent.

Let me thing about the ones I find irritating. I can't really think of any now. If they irritate me, then I don't watch their movies. Tell me who you find irritating and maybe that will trigger me to think of who I find irritating. LOL

Mamabear, the feeling that I won't be judged makes it very freeing for me to post here also. I know that I can say what is happening with me, and talk about the things that I have done int he past that I'm not proud of. It doesn't excuse them, but I know others understand. Just being able to put things down and get them out of my system is a tremendous help. I would love to be able to see the fall colors where you are.

Right now the leaves are falling off the trees, and while it is not so colorful, it is still beautiful to me. I don't mind having to rake them up. We make the piles, and then jump in them. I love to walk and hear the crunch of the leaves under my feet. Warm fires and hot chocolate with marshmallows. Being inside and cozy when it is raining outside. Making potroast, stews, and potpies for dinner. I cook from scratch, and I love making a good homemade potpie.

I love Thanksgiving food and am planning out my menu. We will have the family here at our new house for Thanksgiving dinner and I am looking forward to that. Maybe we could do a recipe exchange with our favorite recipes.

Juls
Old 11-02-2003, 01:12 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Juls,

I knows, I know. I´m not getting enough rest, and I´m heading for exhaustion and depression. It´s only this week, and then I can start living like a human being again. This is terrible, but the festival and the deadline for the dumb book are on the same goddamn day! I was an idiot to go to the party and this morning I woke up so tired I slept for 12 hours. It made me lethargic and frankly, depressed. I´ve been fighting this flu for one month and I never rest.

I finally called my sponsor and cried on her shoulder. Then I asked a cousin, who is a nurse, to come over and examine me. She said I was just plain exhausted and gave me a good talking to. I drank tons of liquid and now I´m in bed like a good girl. I´m just so fragiled from this weak state of mind and it´s making me lonely to be always home in the evening. I´m a social girl, always out and about and chatting with friends at cafés. Otherwise I get depressed, meds or not.

Please bear with me for one week and please support me. I feel so damn weak, I can´t even watch a movie. Enough said, LOL. I´m glad I can be of help at this board. It makes me very happy.

Adding John Malkovitch to the actors you named, I agree. We seem to have the same taste. John Travolta I loved in Pulp fiction and Denzel is absolutely yummy. Nicholas Cage, Al Pacino and Anthony Hopkins... I love them.

Now I´ll name you the most irritating ones:
1. George Clooney. I cannot stand the man. No offense, ladies. Too much sugar!
2. Walter Matthau.
3. The French awful guy who played in Umberto Eco´s "Name of the Rose" and in "Black Widow". Cannot remember his name, but he looks like a continental gigolo with that rediculous accent, which I probably have as well, but on me it´s better.

Use adversity
Old 11-02-2003, 03:41 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Oh, I know one that really bugs me, he is a french guy too, maybe the same one you mean, Gerard DePardieu. Another one I can't stand is that one who was caught with the prostitute, I can't think of his name right now. Oh, it's Hugh Grant.

Lilya, did you see Nosferatu? A very good movie about vampires. It is old, a B/W, silent movie. Today on tv they had Shadow of a Vampire, with John Malkovich. It was about the making of Nosferatu.

8MM was also on tv today. I watched it knowing that all the really intense parts would be edited out. I would have to say I liked it, but I thought that they made Noltes character a little too, I don't know how to say, naive? maybe. He kept crying out "Why, Why," this, "Why, Why," that. Anyway, lol - a movie critic I'm not.

Please rest Lilya as much as you can. Sleep as much as your body needs. I know it is hard for you to not be getting out, but it will only drag on longer.

Right now my house is filling with the aroma of the chicken I am roasting. I will make mashed potatoes, and fresh asparagus for our sunday dinner.

Juls
Old 11-02-2003, 04:16 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Gérard Depardieu is not the one I meant, the guy I meant is much less famous, but I can tell you here in the States that we have had a bit too much of Gérard. He also advertises on TV and frankly, it is too much. He was great in the Nouvelle Vagues movie, like "Le Dernier métro" and "La femme d´Ã* côté - but, spare me. I absolutely agree about Hugh Grant. Something about his smile and attitude.

I wrote my BA theses about the German expressionnists, and Nosferatu I´ve promoted often when I manage film festivals. I met the guy who was one of the producers of "In the Shadow of the Vampire" this summer, after a screening of Nosferatu and since he adores John Malkovitcn, we got on very well! He thought Willem Defoe´s persona was a bit overdone in the film, and I agreed with him, but I liked it. Did you see the remake by the German Werner Herzog with Klaus Kinski as the vampire? It´s quite beautiful.

I can see what you mean by the why, why in 8mm, but I understood it at the time. It´s such a scary and over the top subject. Joaquim Phoenix is good in that film, I find.

I went on call for the SOS hotlines because I felt so lonely, but I feel better after I took few calls. I can do it at my house, wrapped in a dressing gown with tea. I realize people have it so much worse than I do and it´s always good to be able to help. It´s for egoistic reasons, it really does help me feel better.

Bon appétit! For the pot roast, I mean.

Use adversity
Old 11-02-2003, 04:23 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I am going to have to watch 8mm.....sounds like I might like it.
Yes Lilya, like you I absolutely adore Nicholas Cage, Al Pacino, and Anthony Hopkins...I saw Insomnia last week...and loved it. Of course I still haven't seen the last 30-40 minutes...I fell asleep. Will look and see when it's on this week again and finish watching it! LOL!!

Lilya, please get some rest. I'll be worrying about ya!
You are a great help and inspiration to us, and I am sure to everyone you meet and know.
((((((((((((((((((Healing Hugs, my friend))))))))))))))))))
Old 11-02-2003, 05:48 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Oh Lilya,

Can't even watch a movie! We don't want you in the hospital you know! Can the deadline for the book be moved? They may understand. Then you could focus on one obligation at a time.
~light a lovely scented candle, warm some soup, and pick up those feet. You my dear need some rest and pampering. Ahhhh
((((I'm sending healing thoughts across the ocean.))))
love,
Mamabear
Old 11-02-2003, 06:07 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Dear girls,

I am in bed with my feet up. Just one more week to go. No, the deadline cannot be moved because my editor has already booked the printing press. I also like to get rid of the damn thing.

Isn´t there an automatic closing on this thread when we hit 300 replies? I will immediately start another club.

Thanks so much for your support and hugs. I wouldn´t know what to do with out you!

Use adversity
Old 11-02-2003, 06:13 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I was just about to say girls....!!! Come help me chase Lilya back to bed!! She's up and at em again...LOL!! I am glad you have your feet up...and are in bed.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:26 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Thanks, Tammie. I am touched that people care.

The week has started - only 5 more days to go until I can relax. I went to the doctor and asked him to check me. He did, and found everything fine. I just have to get through the week and then rest.

Tomorrow: Interviews and PR... How can a sane person be in this business?LOL

I was thinking about Hugh Grant and the woman he got caught with. Divine Brown, I believe her name was. She used well her 15 minutes of fame and I have a lipstick named after her.

Well, until tonight,

Use adversity