Notices

The Quit Team Part 2

Old 03-10-2023, 04:04 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 4, anxiety is very high. It’s exacerbated by the withdrawal. Struggling not to blame myself for going back smoking when I know it ends up like this. Hope everyone is doing ok?
Old 03-10-2023, 05:02 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hang on, Ronantian.

One day, one hour, one minute at a time if you have to.

Do you get any exercise? That is the one thing that really helps my anxiety the most. Even 50 jumping jacks whenever it hits - gets me back breathing correctly and gets me out of my head and in to my body. In the moment.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:50 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks Bimi. Unfortunately when I’m going through anxiety, I don’t have a lot of energy. I’m going for walks, but want to get back into jogging when I’m feeling a bit better.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:53 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Sure, I understand. What I'm saying is that a minute or two of activity, not necessarily running for 20 minutes - but just brisk activity in the living room will activate the parasympathetic nervous system. It's fast, free and it works.

Squats, toe-touches, dancing, jogging in place, just shaking the arms and shoulders vigorously for one minute. Not actual organized go-out-and-do-it exercise.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:28 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yeah, that’s something I’ll try over the next few days. Thanks, appreciate it
Old 03-10-2023, 11:52 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I don’t know if you experience the same thing, but I always seem to have some sort of backfire with stress and anxiety after I stop using. All this unprocessed stress and anxiety seems to come out all at once and it can be very overwhelming. Hope your weekend will be better.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m with Bim on exercise helping stress.
even five minutes and I can bring my anxiety levels down.

D
Old 03-10-2023, 12:06 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Yes FDM. I think that I start smoking when I’m feeling stressed and don’t want to acknowledge it. Then I go down a spiral where I use until I can’t avoid the stress anymore. Then I have to deal with all the build up of anxiety while I’m detoxing. I find it hard not to blame myself because I know that smoking will end up with anxiety eventually.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:24 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Day 5 today and feeling really anxious. Sleep is effected and I’m so drained mentally and emotionally. I never want to end up here again. No more smoking. It just hurts me.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:55 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Drop and give me 20!!

You've got this!!

(20 pushups...it will work, honest.)
Old 03-11-2023, 06:01 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Did it bimi. Felt lightheaded and struggled to do 20, but did it.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:05 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Yay!!!! I have faith in you!

Now, eat something good for you.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:28 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

3 months in today, proud of myself but feeling very stressed and physically tired. I can’t stop sleeping in. I’ll do my best to get up in next thirty mins and do something active/positive.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:51 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

3 months is awesome Charles - congrats

D
Old 04-28-2023, 08:39 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Day 2 tonight. Didn’t get any sleep last night. Reasons for quitting: Ruins my short term memory to where I can’t do my job as well as I’m capable of doing, dulls my emotions, hate having to always hiding it from my kids and feel I should be a better role model for them, makes me tired and does little for me after the first high of the day, makes my emotions surge when I haven’t had my fix yet, negatively affects libido, nasty smoke smell on my breath and clothes, negativity affects my health even though I don’t feel it in my day to day life, makes me avoid completing tasks I find mentally challenging in my head. I could go on.
I switched addictions from alcohol to pot 12 years ago. I just want freedom from being under the control of a substance. I’ve never experienced it for any length in my adult life.
Roadblocks is I have friends who are big pot smokers. Sort of a similar road block to when I quit drinking, but I had to quit drinking or I was going to die sooner rather than later. Pot, the negative stuff isn’t nearly as dramatic, so I could see it being really easy to slip back into.
I know I won’t smoke the next 3 weeks because I have a promotional test I want to be clear minded for. This led me to quit right now. I hope I can carry that momentum into a much longer sobriety.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:48 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Duane

yeah just like I had to stay away from big drinking mates, I had to stay away from big smoking mates - at least until I was at a point I preferred being sober.

I hope you find, like I did, that not smoking brings a lot of gifts and makes returning to smoking pretty nonsensical
D
Old 04-29-2023, 06:36 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:06 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

d
Old 05-10-2023, 06:12 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is 2 weeks, but the real struggle starts after this weekend. I have a big test Sunday. I know, mother’s day, crazy! Anyway, I quit to clear my head before the test. At least that was the motivation I used to get myself a streak going, but I am experiencing so many benefits right now. I’ve become so much more happy and gregarious. I talk to everybody at work. I am participating more in work related discussions. I got a compliment on how I look yesterday and I can even see I don’t look as warn out. I haven’t gotten a compliment like that since I quit drinking 12 years ago. My memory though not back to normal is improving. My drive is improving. I’ve lost 3 lbs already from avoiding the munchies.
I have anxiety about what that first puff would feel like and how all the positives I am experiencing will quickly fade away. My next goal is to make it to vacation in July. If I can do that, I simply won’t bring any with me when I go and can get through till August. Hoping I can get there and then work on more goals from there.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:18 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a plan for Sunday - you know the situation or triggers that might come up..think about how to handle them and be forewarned...

you can do this!

ps congrats on 2 weeks

D