Notices

Bedtime Gratitude ~ Part 86

Old 02-12-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Grateful to everyone here so very much. Daisy, it sounds like you've been going through a rough patch too. I'm so sorry. Prayers that things get better soon.
Fearless, thank you for your post. I hope you get some good laughs, so healing. Thank you for caring so much. You are very significant to me too!
I think I'm writing my morning thanks at night. Astro is rubbing off on me. This is one of my favorite threads and I'm so grateful for all of you. I really feel like I'm not judged here and there is so much love and caring here.
Wishing all of you a wonderful day/evening.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Fearless, I'm sorry about your acid reflux and hope you get it under control very quickly, I suffer with reflux too and mine is very often brought on by stress, just thinking you've had such a lot going on and maybe that's what's triggered yours.

Birkie, I can totally relate to hiding and stealthily disposing of bottles, wine bottles in my case and very often I struggled in trying to even remember where I'd hidden them. So grateful that we don't have to do that anymore.

Grateful that though today has been yet another 'one of those days' I have had no thoughts of drinking and will be going to bed sober.
Early this morning I had a call from my wayward son, he was crying and I could barely hear what he was saying, I eventually managed to understand that he was poorly, having problems breathing and speaking. I told him that I would take the g.kiddo's to school and then call to see him. I didn't know what to expect. I also phoned his G.P only to be advised that he is no longer registered at that surgery! I drove to his home after dropping the children at school and on seeing him it was apparent that he really was poorly, his neck was the size of his head and the roof of his mouth had red streaks under the skin. I got him in the car and took him to A& E at the hospital. Long story short, we were there for hours, he has a large abscess on his tonsil, not quite quinsy, but almost. He was given a 10 day course of antibiotics and 2 other medications, with the advice to go straight back to hospital if it worsens. To be honest I was rather embarrassed to be with him, he looked like he's been sleeping in his clothes and he smelt really badly, one of those smells that leaves a trail wherever the person has been. Took him to the pharmacy to collect his meds and he had no money on him so I paid for that. I won't get it back I know. It upset me to see him the way he was. I don't know, he speaks and treats me like I'm something he's scraped off the bottom of his shoe, yet I couldn't not help. Big sigh. I had to remind myself of the quote at the bottom of my signature, I try and live by that.
Mr D.B went to see our doctor this afternoon for his flu jab, they tested his blood pressure whilst he was there and apparently it is dangerously high, so he needs to go and have it re-checked in a couple of days.
Grateful for the serenity prayer and the sick man prayer, I needed both of those today.
Grateful for this place to write it all down and get it off my chest.
Grateful Mr D.B understood why I did what I did ( he isn't his father).
Grateful to take my g.son to karate this evening.
Grateful for a strong cup of tea.
Grateful for a peaceful evening.
Grateful my little cat is sat curled up besides me.
Grateful Least and Billie have had lovely dog walking weather.
Grateful Fearless's sonny boy is doing well at school, he's a credit to you F. xx
Grateful Astro is slowly healing. Take good care of yourself Astro.
Grateful to see Aly's gorgeous post and thank you so much for your kind words Aly.
Grateful for each and every one of you here. xx
Old 02-12-2020, 04:36 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

O Dear Daisy ♥ Prayers for you and your situation. It must be painful and I think you did the right thing by him. He was sick and he is your son. Don't be too hard on yourself. I think anyone with an ounce of compassion would have cared for him.
Love and peace to anyone suffering or struggling tonight. ♥♥♥
Old 02-12-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

On the 17th, I had to look, I will be celebrating 2 years sober; at midnight that will be 4 days left to go.
For the love of pete I never thought I'd get here. I've been on SR for 6-7 years and I kept accumulating time and then I'd blow it. So I've finally kept it together for 2 years, this Sunday. yay!
Thank you. You all have been instrumental in my finally accumulating some time. Love to you all. ♥♥♥
Old 02-12-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Aly, congrats on your upcoming two years sober!

Astro, glad the pain is receding.

Daisy, I'm glad you helped wayward son get medical treatment. I would have done the same.

Fearless, how cool to get a positive email about sonny boy. I remember when the girls were in school, having conferences with their teachers. It always made me feel good cause no matter how awful they could be at home, they were pretty well behaved and polite out in society.

Fearless, all three of my cats get along well and Zippy and Franny are particularly good friends.

Grateful for another good day for dog walks. We got in a long walk and later on, a short one. It recharges my soul to walk Billie and watch her doing her 'doggie' things.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:09 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

February is just not my favorite month and I'm struggling so I'm here to infuse a bit of deliberate gratitude.

Today I'm grateful for:

doing a huge cathartic trash run: lots of trash and recycling out of the house
knocking down icicles - feels good
two calls from my sister who teams with me fighting anxiety and procrastination
my aged Dad finishing an entire bottle of water
an acquaintance inviting me to walk his dog with him tomorrow
getting in a 15 minute skate ski on the golf course
finding a hidden can of black beans to augment my dinner
15 minutes of yoga
finding a video of knitting victorian lace from old patterns
cold winter air when I'm having a hot flash
lots of people fighting the good fight when things are tough
hitting 1.5 years of not drinking two days ago

Thanks for reading all. May life be perking along and may you all wiggle a bit towards making things a bit better.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Grateful to see Bekindalways
Grateful I can remember the days when I hid the wine bottles or didn’t have more space in the recycling bin as Berkie talked about, and to remember numbing my negative thoughts as Althea talked about. Grateful I don’t do that anymore. Today was a good day to practice sitting with some negative thoughts and then letting them go and figuring out how I could learn and grow from an experience. I have to keep in mind life isn’t always fair and it’s not what happens to us, but what we do about it that matters.
Aly, grateful for your upcoming two years and your positive posts
Daisy, thank you. I’m feeling slightly better today. I started on Omeprazole. Just a two week course. I’ve only experienced reflux once before about a year ago. I remember it had started with the smoke from the fires and all the stress and just kept getting worse until I finally got the medication. The Omeprazole really helped so hope it works this time too. I do think it was probably brought on by stress this time. Plus I started eating dairy again and I’m pretty sure by now that’s a big no no for me. The worst part is the feeling in my throat like there’s a lump in there. I don’t have the heartburn like others experience but the other symptom causes a lot of anxiety.
Also, Daisy, I just can’t imagine going through that experience with your grown son. It must be so very painful. I think I would have done the same in that situation. It must be so hard. You are such a strong person and mom, and an amazing grandmother! I’m glad Mr DB is being monitored closely

Grateful to go to the office today, get a lot done and also catch up with my fav coworker friend
Grateful to watch sonny boy at karate class tonight and also chat with another mom about mom stuff and life stuff
Grateful that in a few days, I’ll be starting a ski vacation in Whistler!
Grateful for all of you so very much!
Old 02-13-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Daisy, prayers for your son's physical and mental well-being, and of course prayers for you too. God bless you for being there for him and doing the right thing.

Aly, we sorta share b-days, my belly button is the same day as your sobriety!

Grateful for the ice cream social our Bible study group had last night and for the conversations we shared.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Oh wow Astro, that is very cool!
Fearless I'm glad you are over your bout of acid reflux and it is not a regular thing. I've had it for years and I've been taking Zantac for decades and I can't really find one that the side effects don't bother me. Maybe I'll try the one you mentioned.
Grateful for all of you. Love and peace to anyone who needs it! ♥♥♥
Old 02-13-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Least, thank you for your steadfast and meaningful support here everyday! You mean so much to me and all of us! ♥♥♥
Old 02-13-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Tonight I’m grateful that when my son was upset about school when I was saying goodnight, that I was sober and could have a genuine conversation.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:14 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Fearless, is the omeprazole OTC? My doctor put me on pantoprazole (scrip) and it's a lot better now. I also had the lump-in-the-throat feeling and it's not pleasant.

Aly, that's cool that you and Astro share a birthday. Daisy and Dee and I share an anniversary on April 6th. It's Daisy's sobriety anniversary, and Dee's also, and it's the day I brought Lily home from Chicory's house to live with me forever. It'll be 6 yrs since I adopted her.

Today, altho we didn't get in any walks due to the snow and cold, Billie and I had a peaceful day at home. She spent a lot of time sleeping on my lap. I am grateful to share my life with her and the cats.

Oh yeah, I'm also grateful for Youtube. Very entertaining.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:05 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm back for some more evening gratitude practice

Today I am grateful for:

winning my fight with the copier as I copied tax documents
Managing to keep busy until 6 pm so the evenings aren't too long
A fire for company on a solitary winter night
an hour ski with an acquaintance who knew I was struggling and invited me
the friend who asked the acquaintance to call (2 people cared about me!)
getting tax documents into the accountant
discussing with my sister fighting the anxiety dragon with a cardboard sword

Go forth all you fine people with peace and courage. Also pile on the self-love tomorrow in honor of Valentine's Day!!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Daisy what I nice thing you did for your son despite where he's at right now and the way that you've been treated... I hope that someday soon he'll appreciate you more.

Hope the shoulder continues to feel better Astro

I'm glad to hear that you're dealing with negative thoughts without having to turn to the bottle fearless... something that I have to work on when they come up. Also hope that the medication and diet changes help with the reflux.

Glad that you were able to get some conversation and exercise in the fresh air bekindalways! A great way to clear your head.

Congratulations on almost 2 years Aly... Good cause to celebrate this Sunday! To be honest, I failed so many times that I really have no confidence that I'll be able to keep this up. Wanting to maintain the streak keeps me going for awhile but something always happens. Ah well... at least I'm trying again.

Grateful for a good day and feeling more energetic.
Grateful for a warm home... it's really cold here today.
Grateful for all of you and your support.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Birkie, you can do this. When I was new to sobriety it was very important for me to look around the rooms of AA and know that each person I saw was living proof that recovery works. If they could do it, I could, and I did.

Happy Valentine's Day to all, I am grateful for love shared unconditionally and freely.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Awww Birkie! You will do this. If I can do it, anyone can. I have been here on SR for 6-7 years and I'd accumulate time and then blow it over and over, but I've never made it as long as I will have on Sunday. You can do it. Stay close to SR, post a lot. I'm kind of shy, it took me a long time to feel comfortable posting, but the longer you're here and around sober people, you start to want a sober life and you'll work for it. That's how it happened for me. I dropped all my prior alkie/druggie friends. A lot of it is hard, but remember the old adage that anything worth something is usually difficult. But being sober and not waking with those horrifying anxious hangovers has been Heaven.
Love and peace to all of you.
You'll do it!
Love to all of you and happy St.Valentines Day All!
Old 02-14-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Grateful for Valentine’s Day, a sweet card and gift card from Mr F
Grateful to learn I’m not alone with the reflux issue. Aly and least, the Omeprazole is the OTC version of Prilosec. I hope this is just a temporary course and I’ll be back to normal soon. Still feeling yucky though not as bad as before.
Grateful to take sonny boy and his reading champion group to pizza to celebrate their win. Grateful I did not eat pizza and ate a small salad instead when I got home
Grateful to work on a puzzle as a family tonight
Grateful my Dad had a better day
Grateful to have no plans for the weekend except pack for vacation
Old 02-14-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hi all . . . had a bit of a day for no particular reason. I'm a depressive so days like this happen on occasion. I kept as busy as I could and go through.

I'm grateful for the deck the I inadvertently stained a dark red last fall. I would never have picked such a dramatic color but I do enjoy it. I spent a lot of time clearing snow and chopping ice outside and did enjoy that color.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:05 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Grateful to be catching up on everyone’s
posts after having been gone for a couple
days. Grateful to be able to return to this thread and you wonderful people calm and sober. Grateful to have had lunch with a friend from grad school after almost a decade. Grateful that the lunch wasn’t
ruined by the AV. Grateful to be able to recall what prompted me to stop drinking. Grateful for a
peaceful night.

As always, grateful for all of you.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Grateful that we got through a comedy show last night with a shortened staff. Grateful I have volunteer opportunities today and another interview for new work.