Police just called.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

When my daughter was in the trauma unit a couple of years ago, her nurse was also familiar with addiction, it was in her family too. I felt like my daughter had landed into the hands of an angel.

Ongoing prayers for all of you.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:20 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

((((((FGB)))))))

I am so sorry to hear about your son. I'm glad, however, that it shows no more bleeding. I hope you hear soon what caused it and that he continues to progress.

It is so hard when your child is in a situation, whether it's using or they are injured, when you can't "fix" it or make the situation better. As long as we are breathing, we will always feel that way. That's what makes it so difficult.

You are not alone; we are all with you in spirit and are keeping you in our thoughts and prayer. I do believe that you HP sent that nurse to you. It's always amazing when the little things like that become so apparent to us.

Keep moving forward and continue letting us know what is happening.

Hugs,
Marteen
Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
FGB

His morning update was about the same, so no worse!! They did another CT scan but don't have official results yet, but since radiology hasn't called, it's probably good news.
I'm going to work today, I think I can handle it, and it will be nice to be a little distracted from this too. My daughter also works with me today so that will be nice. I'll go up to the hospital tonight after I get off. Hope you're all having a good day, and thanks again. I appreciate you all so much. FGB
Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Who would've guessed one of God's angels would be dressed as a nurse?!

Continuing prayers for Dan, and hugs for you, dear!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

When they say that our HP works in mysterious ways.......wow.

I am so glad that this wonderful woman was placed in your path (and your son's). Your son is in God's hands and it sounds like he has a awesome "assistant" in the nurse.

I'll continue to pray for you and for your son's recovery from this misfortune and from his addiction. It's good news that he is stable at this point. With all of the praying going on here for him (and for you), I think God is listening......

gentle hugs
Old 11-21-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Sometimes we get what we need...
Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am so glad to hear that he is maintaining. I will keep him in my prayers.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
FGB

Hi All, Long day at work. Home now, probably going to sleep early instead of going up to see my son. He's having an MRI right now, and it will be a couple hours. I'm exhausted. Did well at work, only had one little crying meltdown and as I sat in the breakroom crying I thought of you guys, and that it would be nice if I could check in and read threads, but it didn't work out.

He was running a temp this am, so they cultured secretions from the breathing tube and started him on wide spectrum antibiotics thinking probably pnuemonia. 5 hours later his temp was down w/o them giving any tylenol, so that was good. I know pnuemonia happens fairly often when someone is on a vent, but it's a serious worry.

Apparently my x is home from hunting, and too tired and worn out from the drive home to go see AS tonight. WTH He's darn near died, and the x can't get there tonight? Sorry, but it irritated me when my oldest daughter told me this. Then she got upset that I was irritated, I told her to never mind, it was none of my business what he did, and it's not.

That's todays update, so far. Think I'll take a long hot bath, and call the hospital to see if MRI is done and if there are any results. Thanks for listening. FGB
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Enjoy that long hot bath, dear!

Thank you so much for updating us.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, sweetie! It sounds like they are on top of things, he has a guardian angel for a nurse, and you deserve a long hot bath and a little relaxation.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-22-2010, 02:35 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
it is what it is

FGB - i pray you had a restful night - during these emotional, stressful times it is so important to take care of yourself - x will have to answer for himself - not something you should stress about when you have enough already - continued prayers for your dear son and you
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
FGB

Quick update, then I have to get ready and be off to work. AS's MRI was yesterday, they were looking for neck injuries. Good news; no ligament injuries, no fractures, no cord contusions and no disc hernations. All good news. His temp remains down near normal. Changing his sedative from propofal to versed, as propofal can be hard on kidneys. His nurse recognized his name from the last time he was there (4 years ago to the week!!) I must remind him this is not the way to impress women!!

I'm doing ok, still tired, can't seem to catch up on sleep, but am working on that. Going to see him after work tonight but will get home and try to get to sleep early. I'm overwhelmed by all your kind words and prayers, all from people who have never met me, it continues to amaze me, and often sends me to tears. I'm so glad I found this site when I did, you are all lifesavers and everyday heroes to me! I wish I had more time to read more posts and respond, but I promise I will catch up! You are all amazing people and I love you! Hugs, FGB
Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Prayers continue FGB. I am so very impressed by your ability to not spend every waking moment obsessing, since it does no one any good.

I hope you continue to get good news, and that his angel continues to watch over him.

(((Hugs)))
Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

FGB
Thanks for keeping us updated. You are holding together remarkably well. I'm sure that all of us are checking in to this thread regularly to get the current updates and we appreciate that you are taking a few moments when you can to let us know how he's doing. AND how you are doing.

Many prayers and gentle hugs
Old 11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

God bless you for taking the time to update us. I do hope you get yourself to bed early tonight for some rest. We must take care of ourselves else we're not much use to anyone else! Sending you lots of hugs on the Kansas breezes, and more prayers for Dan!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Step by step.
Inch by inch.
We gather strength as we conserve our energy during time of stress.

So proud of you for stepping back from your X's behavior and seeing it as his own to deal with and not yours. Conserve your strength for things that really matter. Stay in your own corner.

I find your updates comforting and can only imagine how those positive MRI results felt for you. Every bit of reassurance is a blessing.

Give our best to your son. I hope he feels the heartfelt energy this group is carrying for him. Please get your rest and I hope you sleep well.

Alice
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
FGB

I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out, but they're nice tears, let me explain. Shortly after I got to work this morning, (only 4 of us there Monday am's) one of my coworkers brought out a gift bag and handed it to me. I was surprised and said what's this for. She said open it. I did. Card first of course, it was a thank you card, signed by half of the company. and a kind of poem telling me they appreciate me for all I do, and naming special things about me (that, of course, I never see as special)! The gift was a gift cert for a spa, plus a toy for my dog and a toy for my cats. I was flabergasted, awestruck, and started crying. This was not from the company, but from my coworkers, I don't think the company knows anything about it. She said they started it before anything had happened to Dan, but were happy the timing turned out like it did. I've never been to a spa, I could never afford to do anything like that, and now I'm so looking forward to it, as soon as I know Dan is going to be better. I'm kind of feeling like "Queen of the Day" if anyone remembers that old show. I love my coworkers and am so grateful for them. I need to get some more cards so I can write my thank you's!!

Now on to Dan, they were going to pull his vent today, or try, but he beat them to it, even while he was in restraints, he got it most of the way out, and they finished the task. His breathing is ok, but he has a little help from some oxygen. He is very agitated today, and they figure it's withdrawals. They're medicating him accordingly and watching him closely, in fact, they have a sitter with him, to make sure he doesn't lay on his left side because there's no bone there. His speech isn't right, he's confused. Not sure if that's the withdrawals or if it has to do with the clots there were on the area of his brain where speech is formed, time will tell. I'm trying not to think about that part of it yet. His temp is still down, his vitals are good, heart is good, and blood pressure is good. So while none of it is bad news, it's kind of scary, but only if you dwell on it. They're keeping visits very short, he still wouldn't know I was there, so I've decided not to go tonight, I don't want to see him agitated. He's going to be in ICU for awhile longer, they'll keep him as long as he's agitated and confused. I'm comfortable with all of this.

So that's todays news. Sheesh, I'm exhausted from all of it. But I'm also very grateful and hopeful. Thank you for being here my new friends, I appreciate you all so much. Humbly, FGB
Old 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

What a beautiful gesture from your co-workers to a lovely lady! I know that you will enjoy that spa so much. I can't really afford it, but I get my nails done every two weeks, and that's my treat to me!

I'm so glad to hear Dan has his vent out, and will certainly continue to keep him in my prayers. I think you staying home tonight while he's agitated is a good idea. That's not uncommon in traumatic brain injury.

Please take good care of yourself, and again, thank you for the updates. I check every day for one.

:ghug3
Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Wow...what a sweet thing for your coworkers to do! People don't suck so much after all, do they? Still praying for Dan..and for you, dear one. You're doing great. (((hugs)))
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
BBD

prayers FGB coming from me your way. Hopefully things are starting to look better for your son and you can relax a bit. The hot baths sound good. Thats exactly what I do when stressed or need to calm down. Take it a day at a time~~~and remember to breathe. Smiles, Bonnie