Police just called.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((FGB)))
I'm so glad he's awake and responding. I think he may need time after all he's been through. I had brain surgery ( minor in comparison to his), but they warned me of the aftershocks that can sometimes occur, especially if they had to do the more involved procedure. Your son's procedure was pretty "involved"

Hang in there...we're thinking of you!

((Hugs))
Old 11-24-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I read this thread and all I can say is your son is EXTREMELY lucky.

Best of luck to both of you.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I've been following this thread too, and just wanted to let you know that I keep Dan and you in my prayers every day.

Angel nurse, indeed. They say coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. I think it is true here.

Hugs
Old 11-24-2010, 10:00 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

Each day the news gets better and better! I see your HP in action in so many ways...The saying on the chalk board; the nurse; your coworkers' thoughtful gesture (I had my first real massage at a spa this year and it was definitely a little bit of heaven ) and the strength and recovery you have demonstrated throughout this time. My prayers continue for you and Dan and your whole family

I do hope you are sleeping peacefully. Your HP has this covered, just rest.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
FGB

I'm flabbergasted. They're talking about releasing him to HOME in 2 or 3 days. How does that work? He can't live with me again. He can't live alone. Will he drink, I would imagine so. What does his HP have planned? He has no bone in the left side of his head. I'm speechless. don't know what to say or do. Guess I just wait til tomorrow and talk to doctors. His nurse told me this. He doesn't need acute rehab.
Scared FGB
Old 11-25-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
FGB

ok, have hardly slept all nite, maybe an hour. Just called the hospital and left msgs for neurosurgeon, and social workers on both units. Don't know how much longer I can stay awake. I've done all I can, and now I need to stop and let HP do his/her job. Just figured I'd let HP get a good nites sleep since I wasn't sleeping! I figure it's a team effort!! Trying to hold on to my sense of humor, and hope my HP appreciates that. fgb
Old 11-25-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

FGB, make it clear to them that he cannot come home. I had to do that many times before they would explore other options for my son. For some reason, they just "assume" that we will take over the care, and that's just not possible.

My prayers continue for a better outcome for you and your son.

Hugs
Old 11-25-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I kind of happened upon this thread by accident..I don't normally read over here, but click click click here I am, and I'm glad I did read this. FGB, my prayers are with you and your dear son. Absolutely terrifying. I just wanted to add some encouragement when it comes to dealing with the hospital. They should have a discharge planning meeting, ask to attend (your son likely will not be in attendance) where plans are discussed. I know you're trying to distance yourself to a point, but considering that they might assume you'll fall into caregiver role, when you will not...you may want to add your 2 cents. I work in the medical 'realm', and would just suggest this.. even if you don't go to that meeting, make it absolutely clear to whomever you're speaking with that the second he is discharged without loads of aftercare, you will call adult protective services for assistance, as he is medically 'fragile', and unable to provide for his care safely.

This shouldn't be up to you.. I know. But it's a bigger issue, hospitals are discharging people to their homes too early, every day. It's a money thing, insurance, yada yada. He can refuse medical care, and aftercare, but I would voice your opinion at the time of his planned discharge that you don't feel he is safe (if you feel that way), and will call authorities unless they make a more comprehensive plan for his SAFE return back home.

My best to you..
Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
FGB

Thanks so much Ann and Flutter. If only I could talk to someone, that's what I plan to tell them. Thank you. Need sleep, but afraid to miss phone call. Hugs, FGB
Old 11-25-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

I don't always sign in but I am following you and your son's journey right now. I totally agree with Ann about being adamant that he cannot come home to your home. They will need to set up an alternate arrangement. There is no way you can be responsible for his care. You need to look after you and he needs far more objective care at this time.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and I'm sure your HP appreciates your sense of humor! Besides, I've always found it's just as easy to laugh when things are tough than cry if you train yourself to do that. You still need the cry once in a while but lingering there can be a real downer!

Hugs,
Marteen
Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

FGB,

How are things going today? It is difficult that this is taking place during a "holiday" because I'm sure the hospital is not fully staffed w/regular doctors and even admin. type folks. I hope you are able to set up a meeting (like flutter suggested) or at least talk with someone about your concerns.

Try to get the rest you need, it is not doing you any good being run down and exhausted. Also, close your eyes and imagine putting all your trust in your HP. It helps and I know my HP really does take over to make things fall into place.

Thinking about you,
Joan
Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Checking in for an update! Hugs to you, FGB.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I'm just checking in on you, too, sweetie. ((((FGB))))

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

me too
Old 11-26-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

FGB, just checking in, praying for both you & your son. My RAD suffered a TBI 12 years ago.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 11-26-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
FGB

Thanks everyone. I slept last night, and HP took over. When I called the hospital this am, they told me he couldn't be released w/o 24 hr care. Whew!!! What a relief. I did tell them that no one would be able to care for him. Discussed the commitment, the drs. won't sign because he's only been to the hospital 2x becuz of alcohol. (Both times icu, must not be significant enough!!) but they are going to hold him til we (I) get the commitment going on Monday! Then the social worker called back, said she talked to the docs again, they're willing to "consider" doing a letter or form that would support my getting the commitment!! So once again the HP is doing what I was unable to do on my own, and I'm letting him/her!! I have to admit, I was absolutely terrified at the thought of them letting him go home alone, absolutely terrified. I feel so much better now. Even doing some sewing, but now planning a nap.

Thank you all for checking in on me/us. I appreciate you all so very very much, this has been an amazing journey, or at least the beginning of a journey!! I promise, I will keep you updated!!

Biggest ever hugs,
FGB
Old 11-26-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I'm glad to hear your son is doing well. It's amazing what the power of prayer from so many will do. Glad to hear that you're sleeping and sewing and that your son is out of icu. It's great that there not releasing him yet, especially since you said that they were ready to let him go last wewk, even with a piece of his skull missing. Hugs and prayers go out to you and your son, Dan I think you said was his name.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

FGB
HUGE collective sigh of relief from all of us here on SR! Turning things over to our HP and a whole lot of praying works. I'm glad you are getting some sleep. It's pretty clear to me that HP is watching over you and Dan.

gentle hugs
Old 11-26-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
FGB
HUGE collective sigh of relief from all of us here on SR!
Indeed! So glad to read your update, and hope you get more rest over the weekend, dear!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
it is what it is

fgb - adding my prayers once more for you and your son - continue to look up and breathe -