OT - dealing with incompetence

Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Amy, so glad to hear all your good news! glad you are feeling more yourself,,can't keep a warrior woman down for long ..you continue to be in my prayers..will be thinkiing of your dad tomorrow, and will say a prayer that his ultrasound goes well.. Grateful
Old 10-22-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I started crying. Told the nurse that the dr. had totally disregarded the issue I came there for....inability to focus or concentrate, crying at the drop of a hat, decreased appetite, insomnia, etc. She said "we don't deal with that"

Amy..I am so sorry you were treated that way. But it happens ALL the time! I am a mental health counselor, and used to work at an agency that was next door to a medical clinic. They were always sending people over (we were 2 separate businesses) when a patient would cry!!! They didn't know what to do!

Get in touch with the United Way or Catholic Charities, or a non-profit agency and ask for help finding a support group either for victims of crime, or for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. It will be very helpful for you to talk to people who get it.

Good luck.....
Old 10-22-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Have you tried Imitrex for your migranes - I've used that in the past and i cant see how it could be habit forming - from what i've just read they havent had trouble with substance abusers using this so it seems safe - but obvoiusly you would want to ask your doctor about that - i'm just a dr. mom

a tip because i also suffer from migranes as well is find your trigger. some things i was told of were peanuts, alcohol, birth control, monthly hormones - but there is a whole list of triggers - of course stress is one but many times there is another underlying trigger you could cut out that would help. my big trigger was birth control (but drinking also did it to me).

i very rarely get the extreme ones anymore now that i understand how my body reacts to those substances. I do still get a lot of milder headaches - I find that BC powders (or aspirin) and a high caffeine drink is the best thing for mine when they are starting to get bad (this is just me some people cant handle the caffeine) I dont even take the prescriptions anymore since i've figured out what works for me. One huge tip is dont let them get bad before taking something - if you feel one coming on treat it immediately - aspirin, ice packs or topicals like tigerbalm or headache patches can really keep one from setting in. if you let it get to the full blown stage before doing something you could end up with a pounding headache for days and at that point imitrex is the only thing i've taken that gets rid of it.

The neurologist is the one that will be able to diagnose what type of migrane you have and will give you information on the triggers so make sure and ask for those materials. he can also give you the prescription for imitrex or something else if he feels its appropriate for you.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barblsn View Post
Amy..I am so sorry you were treated that way. But it happens ALL the time! I am a mental health counselor, and used to work at an agency that was next door to a medical clinic. They were always sending people over (we were 2 separate businesses) when a patient would cry!!! They didn't know what to do!
It's maddening! All they see is crying and look at that as a symptom, forgetting what they were told. The symptoms are physiological and why they turn a blind eye is just crazy. Maddening!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, I finally have good news. I went to my dr., who I adore, and who is helping me. He met me at the door with a hug, I told him what was going on and he said "baby girl, I've got you...don't worry".

He gave me 5 weeks worth of samples of a new antidepressant (Prestiq) that he has seen really good results with, and this is what I've felt I needed all along. He said he has tons of samples, so don't worry about paying for them. He also gave me a week's worth of low-dose seroquel because the Prestiq will initially cause more insomnia.

He wants to see how I react to the Prestiq before deciding whether I need migraine meds. I've had these headaches before, but never for 9 days, nonstop. He clearly documented PTSD on my chart, and was impressed at the way I was treated yesterday, but was pretty ticked about the dr. the day before. He also confirmed that workman's comp doesn't deal with this stuff unless they're pushed.

I know the Prestiq will take a week or 2 to get in my system, but I know how an anti-d helped years ago when I went through similar symptoms. He did give me more lortab 5mg's, but I honestly do not want them until my headache comes back. I haven't even taken them as often as I can, and I am VERY grateful that through all this, I am fiercely protecting my recovery.

It only cost me $39 today to see him and get scripts filled and that is a low price for sanity.

It is just such a relief to know that someone believes me, and is backing me up, and believes in me.

I was actually able to car dance to music on the way home..it's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I am taking a trip for dad this afternoon. I got a good night's rest, and feel up to it. Plus, it will pay me $300

I, so much, appreciate you all and my dr. is well aware of my "moms and dad's" here and how much you've helped me.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Amy - You have been there for me many times on this board and I thank you so much. I have been following this as best as I can given I've started all over and it's been one heck of a week just staying sober.

I want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I am so glad you are feeling better today and have a Dr. that understands what you are going through. I can't think of anyone that deserves more a ton of kindness, compassion and care then you.

Take care.
mtnmagic
Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

wonderful news!!! i can hear the relief in your words and suspect some of the problems may start lessing just with that stress off of you.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Amy, I am sorry. I don't know how I missed this thread. Sending some big hugs and prayers your way. Sounds like your doctor has you in a good place. Hoping that things continue to improve for you. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Amy ......... your laws of attraction are working for you baby!!!!!

Thinking of you xoxoxoxo

Your positive attitude / gratitude ~ as always ~ is inspiring~!!!!!!