View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
winnie12

Have you tried Imitrex for your migranes - I've used that in the past and i cant see how it could be habit forming - from what i've just read they havent had trouble with substance abusers using this so it seems safe - but obvoiusly you would want to ask your doctor about that - i'm just a dr. mom

a tip because i also suffer from migranes as well is find your trigger. some things i was told of were peanuts, alcohol, birth control, monthly hormones - but there is a whole list of triggers - of course stress is one but many times there is another underlying trigger you could cut out that would help. my big trigger was birth control (but drinking also did it to me).

i very rarely get the extreme ones anymore now that i understand how my body reacts to those substances. I do still get a lot of milder headaches - I find that BC powders (or aspirin) and a high caffeine drink is the best thing for mine when they are starting to get bad (this is just me some people cant handle the caffeine) I dont even take the prescriptions anymore since i've figured out what works for me. One huge tip is dont let them get bad before taking something - if you feel one coming on treat it immediately - aspirin, ice packs or topicals like tigerbalm or headache patches can really keep one from setting in. if you let it get to the full blown stage before doing something you could end up with a pounding headache for days and at that point imitrex is the only thing i've taken that gets rid of it.

The neurologist is the one that will be able to diagnose what type of migrane you have and will give you information on the triggers so make sure and ask for those materials. he can also give you the prescription for imitrex or something else if he feels its appropriate for you.