Calling all Codie BBQ professionals

Old 08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Calling all Codie BBQ professionals

I am a failure. A total failure.... at least at cooking ribs on the grill. I cut off the membrane thing. I boiled them a bit like a friend told me to. I cooked them slowly on the grill.

And they are tough and chewy.

I admit that I am powerless over ribs and my life has become unmanageable.
I have come to believe that a codie cook greater than myself can restore me to sanity
I have made a decision to turn my will AND my grill over to the care of my higher power - which could be YOU - if you'll just help me solve this problem.

No searching/ fearless inventory necessary- I have a grill, bbq, tongs and a grill. That should about cover it.

PLEASE HELP !!

Signed

Barbie Can't BBQ
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I am slapping my knee!
I too am the worlds worse BBQer. I made the mistake of mashing the hamburgers while on the grill. So, the burgers went through the wire part and I couldn't get them off. I did manage to salvage hamburger chunks.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

OH WW don't get me started on my cooking nightmares. I'm sure I could star in a hit TV show/sitcom. But I am determined to learn how to cook ribs, the kind where the meat is just falling off the bone and people want my recipe....

Cooking hint: it's very very important to keep the lid on the blender when it's on HIGH...
Old 08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL - Sorry about your rib problem. I'm afraid I can't help.

My 3 C's:
I can't "C"ook ribs
I can't "C"ook potroast
I can't "C"ook turkey
Old 08-07-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cats, Through a lot of trial and error my husband has finally gotten BBQing ribs down to perfection. He marinates them with mesquite, garlic salt and onion powder. The next day he turns both burners on the grill to high, then shuts off the front one and lets the back heat up for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then puts the ribs to the front and shuts the lid and lets them go for about an hour and a half for a small rack to two and a half for a large one. Just before they are ready he slathers on the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and lets them glaze up nicely. Sweet, spicy and hot. Ummm. Hugs, Marle P.S. We have a Weber 200 series grill.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, that is what we had for dinner. Along with fresh Michigan sweet corn and Outs blueberry crumb cake. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

First, if they were beef ribs, they will always be tough.

Get some baby back pork ribs. Put in pot with a little salt and pepper and water, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 45 minutes.

Go fire up charcoal grill (preferably one with a cover) immediately so coals are hot when ribs are done in pot. Spread coals out evenly, place grill on BBQ. Let grill get hot for about 5 to 7 minutes. Place ribs flat on grill and brush bbq sauce on top of ribs, put cover on grill. After 10 to 12 minutes, uncover, turn ribs over, brush with bbq sauce, cover for another 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove from grill latest cooked side up on plate, lightly brush with additional bbq sauce if desired and serve. Should be what you are looking for.

BBQ Sauce.........................use your favorite recipe or favorite store bought.

If using a gas grill, fire up about 25 minutes into ribs simmering, keep on high until ribs are ready for grill, then turn grill down to low. Cook same as on charcoal grill.

Just my experience, lol and I get asked a lot to make ribs, rofl

Love and hugs,
Old 08-07-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

marle, just to let you know, you are absolutely killing me here. What you describe sounds GREAT!!!
Cats, your post made me chuckle after a very long day. Thanks guys!!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I've been lurking, just waiting for a good rib suggestion because I can't BBQ ribs either, as a matter of fact, I really stink at the grille.

Cooking hint: it's very very important to keep the lid on the blender when it's on HIGH...
Cooking hint #2: Never, but never try to cook a turkey on a BBQ, they burst into flames and will burn down your deck. Don't ask how I know this.

I have the tools, I have the willingness, and I am ready to surrender and turn my will over to anyone who has a great recipe.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Cooking hint #2: Never, but never try to cook a turkey on a BBQ, they burst into flames and will burn down your deck. Don't ask how I know this.
I promise I won't ask you about hint #2 if you don't ask about hint #1

Cooking hint #3. Smoke alarms are not installed in houses to advise when dinner is ready.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oooh, oooh, Laurie posted a recipe.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cats...

LOL...you're so funny!!

Sorry...I don't know nothing about bbq'in no ribs. My answer to the grill is George Foreman.

My cooking hint for the day: Don't panic when your frying pan (with grease) catches on fire...Do not...I repeat, do not... run to the kitchen sink with said fire and try to put it out with water. This rule is especially important when kitchen curtains are nearby. Fire has a funny way of spreading...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Life!

For "fall off the bone" succulent BBQ ribs - pork or beef - use a crock pot and slllllooooowwwwww cook them for a very long time - 4-6 hours.

I used to par-boil, baste in sauce, then cover and put in the oven, OR, wrap in foil and put on the grill for a long time, and got good results. But, the crock pot just takes away all the worry, mess and concern.

Put it in with the sauce on and forgetaboutit.
Works for me!

Shalom!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Teach beat me to it on the crock pot...It's terrific for fall off the bone yummy ribs. And I'm with Laurie...go for pork, not beef...less tough

I haven't ventured to the full slow cook for hours crock pot...Just put the ribs with some seasonings and barbeque sauce in the pot on high for an hour or two. Then finish them off on the grill... The barbeque sauce kinda soaks into the meat from the crock pot cooking. When the ribs are almost ready on the grill, I add a little extra sauce to finalize things...but I love barbeque sauce.

Marle, my mouth is watering...sounds so good!

Love the cooking hints! Mary, in case whoever passed that helpful hint onto you didn't tell you, baking soda for grease fires...works like a charm.

Cooking hint #5. If you are making cobbler and it says to melt some butter on the bottom of the pan, don't melt it on the stove in a glass Pyrex cake pan. Pyrex is great in ovens, not on stove tops...makes a real nice explosion of glass and hot butter....Don't ask me how I know...or why I wouldn't have figured that out without having to try it myself
Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by marle View Post
he slathers on the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce

Thats about the only part I do right! Its only Sweet Baby Ray's in our house!

I do however have a great recipe for Teriyaki Steak and Veggies on the grill...my own invention and it brings down the house!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do however have a great recipe for Teriyaki Steak and Veggies on the grill...my own invention and it brings down the house!

And soooooo....you are going to share it with all your wonderful buddies here, right??? RocK on Cece and bring down the SR house!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Greet, I did the little pyrex trick myself Hugs, Marle
Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by marle View Post
Greet, I did the little pyrex trick myself Hugs, Marle
Makes for quite a mess, doesn't it?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Codie Kitchen

I think we have the makings for one of those FOX Reality Shows.

IF I put the ribs in the crock pot, how much liquid should I use? I only use mine for roast beef and I always make sure it's completely covered with liquid...

Signed,
Curious Cats
Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

No liquid, well maybe about a quarter cup on the bottom and then squirt BBQ sauce over the tops.

They will produce their own liquid and fall off the bones when they are done.

Oh sure, I can do crock pot, it's grilling that challenges my sanity.

Hugs