Calling all Codie BBQ professionals

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There's a good looking recipe for bar-b-que sauce over on the 'what's for dinner' post on the substance abuse forum!

I naver tried sweet baby ray's...I always used Ken davis-which I like, I'll have to try Ray's and see!

I've had that dry rib problem, too...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ohh...yummy ribs....we had ribs on Sunday

We do pork spare ribs....more bargain for the dollar...baby back ribs don't have a whole lot of "good" meat on them for my taste.

we season them with a recipe called Magic Dust.....I'll post it later.....then you baste them a bit with that yummy Sweet Baby Rays....put them in a 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours covered with tin foil, uncover and baste them a bit more and cook them for another 1 1/2 covered in a 300 degree oven and then grill them over med.-med.low heat for about 15 minutes, 7 min. per side, until they have gotten a crisp to them.

This recipe is really easy cause you can stick it in the oven, set the timer and do what ever else you need to....and it creates ribs that will fall off the bone but still have a little chew to them.......my favorite
Old 08-08-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Magic Dust----(increase the pepper or mustard powder for a little more spice.)

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

I'd split this recipe in half cause it makes ALOT.....it keeps forever if you store it in a tightly lidded container. Its really good on all kinds of barbecue...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

OOOOOH Laura posted recipes.

Today you and other codie cooks are my heros.

I bow to you.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

LOL-tears streaming down my face --and now hungry for dinner, too. Sweet corn and blueberries--my tummy is rumbling and it is only 9:30 am.

Cooking hint#4. Do not turn on the broiler of your new oven until you first remove the (paper and thus highly flammable) oven safety instructions taped inside. The local fire department will make you a legend.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Teriyaki Steak and Veggies on the grill:

Buy thin sliced beef and cut it into long strips
Marinate for 24 hours in Ken's Teriyaki Merinade (make sure its covered completly

one hour before grilling:
cut red and green peppers, onion, and mushrrooms (and anything else you like) in thick grillable strips. Remove meat from marinade and dump the veggies in. Toss around to coat with sauce.
Place veggies on foiled grill first, cover and cook until slightly tender. Add meast to grill (will cook fast)
Cook until meat is done and serve over rice with some Ken's on the table for extra sauce.
Its a great meal.

Cooking hint #5: Never play with the oven lock while cooking your Thanksgiving turkey. Once you flip it, the safety locks it until the oven cools.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i don't boil ribs first. i put them on an indirect fire and use damp clothes every once in ahwile on top of them during cooking - to cool them down. slowwwwwwwwww....
Old 08-08-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Originally Posted by greeteachday View Post
Cooking hint #5. If you are making cobbler and it says to melt some butter on the bottom of the pan, don't melt it on the stove in a glass Pyrex cake pan. Pyrex is great in ovens, not on stove tops...makes a real nice explosion of glass and hot butter....Don't ask me how I know...or why I wouldn't have figured that out without having to try it myself

"Thank goodness" she say's breathing a sigh of relief. I thought I was the only one!!

Cooking hint #7

Remember to remove the burner covers BEFORE turning the stove on.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I've been lurking and learning to BBQ;-)

I'm great in the kitchen but a complete numbskull at the grill, you've all inspired me to try ribs this weekend!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I do my ribs in the crockpot not too good at grilling. My fiance does that he puts them in the oven on I think 200-250 for a couple hrs covered with tin foil. Removes tin foil baste with bbq sauce then turn up heat to about 300-350 for a couple hrs I think lol. Till crisp and done falls off the bone!!

Cooking hint #8 on thanksgiving when you dont have room in the oven for another pan. Just dont slab a stick of butter in the squash and place on rack in oven. The butter melts and drips thus cause a grease fire in the oven that will smoke you out of your home
Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm not good at ribs, but do a nice garbage can turkey. Now you guys have me wondering how it might work for ribs...hummm.

Cooking hin t #9. If your at your sister in laws with a houseful, pay attention to which pan you use. I made a ton of crostini's ( baugette bread with cheese spread & you broil them) At home I always use a pan with sides. At her house I used a very slippery cookie sheet. When I took them out of the oven,I was chatting away & not paying attention, They all slid off the pan onto the bottom of the ove., I have never seen such a mess in an oven before. That Christmas I was given 15 boxes of baking soda, all wrapped seperatly with a coment.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am determined to make this work. Yesterday I bought more ribs. Pork spare ribs AND some beef. I put spices on them and put them in the crock pot. They were in there for at least 7 hrs on low.

BUT

My good friend called and she was in town, so I LEFT them in the crock pot and went out to dinner with her ! chicken risotto, appetizer and snickers cheesecake for dessert. (I'm no dummy.)

SO today I think I'll be having leftover practice ribs.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cooking hint #5: Never play with the oven lock while cooking your Thanksgiving turkey. Once you flip it, the safety locks it until the oven cools.
Oh my gosh, Cece...my husband did that! The kids were little and he decided to give me a break and spend fun time with them at the same time so they were making home made pizza. He never used the oven before (mind you we were in the house over 2 years by then...I sure didn't train him well) and thought the latch was to close the door tighter. Needless to say, we had take out pizza that night.

Cooking hint #7

Remember to remove the burner covers BEFORE turning the stove on.

Loves, I think we might be dangerous together in the kitchen! I tend to take "a" cover off, but then turn on the wrong burner. Can't tell you how many sets I've cooked. Finally got a really good (translation, pricey) set that I can burn and it cleans up real nice anyway.

Let us know how the experiment worked out Cats.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Question

I gotta know Helpus...what is a garbage can turkey???
Old 08-09-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey, the leftover practice ribs were pretty darn good! I think I would do them in the crock pot again. It's kind of boring, no excitement with the big boom when I light the gas grill, but I can live with that....

YUMMY. We need to start a recipe thread.... I'm sure there are more good cooks and good stories out there
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

A "Murphy's Law" about cooking, found out the hard way...

"Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass!"
Really!

Hmmmmm - ribs- Where's the cookout? I'm ready.

I just love Ray's BBQ sauce - a favorite in the Marteen household.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Mmmmmm! The Only Time I Get Ribs It At A Famous Daves. I Never Tried Cooking Them. I'm Afraid Of The Grill, I'm So Used To My George Forman.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well, you've all got me craving ribs now . I'm thinking about buying a crockpot and giving this a try.

Pork is recommeded over beef, but does it make a difference what kind of pork ribs you get? I'm looking at this week's sale ad and they have..

Pork Spare Ribs
Bone-In Pork Country Style Ribs
St. Louis Style Pork Spare Ribs
Boneless Country Style Pork Ribs
Pork Back Ribs

Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Mertzie,
In the Cats Codie Test Kitchen and CATastrophe Preparedness School, I used Pork Spare Ribs. I also bought 4 or 5 beef ribs just to see how they would work... the pork was tastier and more tender. (I don't think tenderer is a word, but it should be when talking about ribs...) I spiced them up a bit with some rib rub, put 1/2 cup water in the crockpot, squirted a bunch of Ray's BBQ sauce over it and covered... I left them on low at least 8 hours. They were tender, falling off the bone kinda good.

Good luck!

Cats