Cat on a hot tin roof

Old 08-03-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
Went back for a minute to take care of the dog. AH was playing music and packing. Humming, washing clothes....he simply said “it’s gotta be done”. Glad he’s handling it all so well, I’m feeling better but struggling. I know I’m supposed to keep the focus on me, but man this hurts. Back out again....
You keep putting the focus back on yourself and that's what counts, looking after yourself. It's impossible to ignore the madness going on around you completely.

I'm glad you are checking in Dazed. I know you are struggling but all in all you know, you are doing so well.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
You keep putting the focus back on yourself and that's what counts, looking after yourself. It's impossible to ignore the madness going on around you completely.

I'm glad you are checking in Dazed. I know you are struggling but all in all you know, you are doing so well.
trailmix, you are a dear. Means a lot coming from u. ❤️
Old 08-03-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

How can he STILL not blame alcohol?????!! And not be upset?? It’s been 20 years!!??
Old 08-03-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Alcohol is his dearest friend and closest ally. All else comes after.

From his perspective, it makes perfect sense.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Alcohol is his dearest friend and closest ally. All else comes after.

From his perspective, it makes perfect sense.
guess so. 😢
Old 08-03-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

For me, I had to learn to accept things, even when I couldn't understand them.

I am grateful I am not addicted to alcohol. I assume that's what it would take for me to "understand" the active addict's reasoning that anything and everything is to blame for one's problems but drinking.

This is who he is right now. It is very sad, very unfortunate. You can't change him, or convince him, or reason him into true recovery.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
For me, I had to learn to accept things, even when I couldn't understand them.

I am grateful I am not addicted to alcohol. I assume that's what it would take for me to "understand" the active addict's reasoning that anything and everything is to blame for one's problems but drinking.

This is who he is right now. It is very sad, very unfortunate. You can't change him, or convince him, or reason him into true recovery.
so all these meetings, treatment, and no alcohol takes time to take I guess. You’re very kind sparkle. Thank you all. ❤️
Old 08-03-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Either way it’s selfishness for him, active drinking, or active recovery....I hope he chooses recovery but I can’t do the selfishness anymore.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It does take time for sure.

I think sometimes it's forgotten that the alcoholic is actually living IN alcoholism.

It LOOKS like if they would just put that glass or bottle down for good that they can be this normal person they are when they don't drink for a day or two (assuming they act rather normally when "sober").

Thing is, even when "sober" it's usually because they have just had a bang up drink-fest or they are maintaining a buzz by drinking less, although mileage may vary, everyone is different.

Your Husband has been drinking for a long time. Who he becomes (assuming he stays with recovery) may not even be someone you really know. He's had 10 years? of drinking, that changes someone. Imagine living in the world half drunk for 10 years then stopping drinking, how odd would that, alone, be.

Addiction is selfish, mental illness is selfish, recovery must be selfish.

More will be revealed.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It is as hard for the partner to give up the relationship with the alcoholic as it is for the alcoholic to give up the relationship[ with the drink...….
Old 08-03-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
It does take time for sure.

I think sometimes it's forgotten that the alcoholic is actually living IN alcoholism.

It LOOKS like if they would just put that glass or bottle down for good that they can be this normal person they are when they don't drink for a day or two (assuming they act rather normally when "sober").

Thing is, even when "sober" it's usually because they have just had a bang up drink-fest or they are maintaining a buzz by drinking less, although mileage may vary, everyone is different.

Your Husband has been drinking for a long time. Who he becomes (assuming he stays with recovery) may not even be someone you really know. He's had 10 years? of drinking, that changes someone. Imagine living in the world half drunk for 10 years then stopping drinking, how odd would that, alone, be.

Addiction is selfish, mental illness is selfish, recovery must be selfish.

More will be revealed.
trailmix AH has been drinking since his 20’s. He is 60 now. This last bout, as you know has progressed to end stage alcoholism. I see, since this last time, he is a hard core alkie. In the hospital, tubes up, he told the nurse he drinks a pint of gin a day and has no intentions of quitting. This was in June. Like I said, I think he’s sipping, there is no humility, no surrender, no talk of working the steps..still a lot of blaming me..his favorite anecdote from AA meeting is one guy who said F*** the wife and kids, what have you done for yourself. He swears he’s going to stay straight, but as you know alkies lie. He just seems angry all the time, puffed up, arrogant. He went off on me today before I left about his choices when he has to go and how they suck...living on the street is one. Yelling, blaming me for filing, not admitting alcohol had anything to do with it....maybe that’s sobriety and the raw emotions. I don’t know. It’s a mess.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
It is as hard for the partner to give up the relationship with the alcoholic as it is for the alcoholic to give up the relationship[ with the drink...….
boy howdy ain’t that the truth...
Old 08-03-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

He even told me that a roomful of addicts and his treatment counselor vindicated him that he didn’t mean all the horrid things he said when drunk. I take that to mean I’m just supposed to go “oh ok! That’s fine!” Whatever. It’s madness
Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
He even told me that a roomful of addicts and his treatment counselor vindicated him that he didn’t mean all the horrid things he said when drunk. I take that to mean I’m just supposed to go “oh ok! That’s fine!” Whatever. It’s madness
annnddddd....he texted me that it’s still July so he has time before he leaves. Sheesh. So much for clear thinking.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Sounds like you got hit by quite a bit of verbal poo today.
Maybe step back?
Old 08-03-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Even if they don't "mean" it...and, don't even remember it, much of the time....doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt the recipient.....it still hurts really bad....
That is why it is so essential that the recipient remove themselves from the abuse.....

Remember, that HE is the main concern of the counselor, not you.....that is just the way it works....while they may not wish you ill...HE is the one in front of them....
Old 08-03-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Even if they don't "mean" it...and, don't even remember it, much of the time....doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt the recipient.....it still hurts really bad....
That is why it is so essential that the recipient remove themselves from the abuse.....

Remember, that HE is the main concern of the counselor, not you.....that is just the way it works....while they may not wish you ill...HE is the one in front of them....
oh boy we just had the biggest fight ever! Why is it the meeting people get all the praise, when IM the one that has been cleaning up his ****, saving his life, and taking his abuse???!!! AND he threatens me he’s gonna drink and it my fault!!!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I don’t mean to sound catty but boo hoo poor flipping alcoholic! I’m sick of everyone ***** footing around this grown man acting like a disabled baby! B
Old 08-03-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You need to stay away from him until he has moved out.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Sounds like you got hit by quite a bit of verbal poo today.
Maybe step back?
I’m stepping back but I’m suicidial again. Calling the hotline now