Cat on a hot tin roof

Old 08-02-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cat on a hot tin roof

This morning I was enjoying my coffee. AH comes out on the patio with his and is nice to me. I tell him I hope we can be friends after he moves out. The niceness stopped. He went into deep thinking, rubbing his head, pacing, silent. I make an observation to him “you ok? You seem nervous deep in thought”. He says, lots to figure out and only I can do it. Then he gets a bit angry “ I’m not sitting here plotting when I can drink, how to get a drink, or where I can drink if that’s what you’re thinking”. I wasn’t thinking that, but to myself I acknowledge that was probably exactly what he was thinking, but what do I know. I went about my morning and he got ready for his A.A. meeting, all in silence. I’m beginning to see he’s not mad at me at all, he’s just mad.... in mire ways than one .
Old 08-02-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup. He is likely mad that his tactics are not changing your mind yet he cannot just go drink in open.

Keep drinking that coffee and keep relaxing, that is what is good for YOU.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This doesn’t seem like recovery, true recovery to me. But what do I know?
Old 08-02-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

True recovery doesn't happen in just a few days or couple of weeks... it takes a long time and a lot of hard work.

For them and for us.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
True recovery doesn't happen in just a few days or couple of weeks... it takes a long time and a lot of hard work.

For them and for us.
understood. My recovery is best served by staying away from him.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Btw, lion king live action film is terrific! 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Old 08-02-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dazed,
I agree with Hopeful, keep enjoying your coffee and seeking your own peace of mind.

Do you know many recovered addicts? Recovery is a long process. If your AH has truly committed this time, his recovery will become apparent to everyone around him, it will glow quietly. But my stars! Not in the first year! Or even two! Looking for serious change or signs of recovery in an alcoholic who has been sober and attending some kind of recovery practice for a couple weeks after spending years and years of alcoholic drinking is not fair.

AlAnon gave me a lot of tools to learn how to respect that side of the street and see that I needed just as much changing as the As in my life! I could easily sit in judgement of them and their progress or their insanity, but what did that get me? It allowed me to keep the focus on something other than my own problems, faults, dreams, and goals.

When my father ended his 25+ year drinking career that first couple years was really weird and he was all over the map. But his recovery started shining through with consistency and because he truly recovered he was really a changed person. He was so much more enlightened, humorous, compassionate, forgiving, authentic, and respectful than my non-drinking mother who never worked on her own judgemental codie behaviors and attitude and to this day has never self-examined herself or grown towards the kind of genuine present non-judgemental person my father became.

Your AHs behavior sounds completely within spec for an alcoholic who has been sober for a couple weeks after a nasty bender and who is making a bid at recovery. Let him have at it. It is not like a light-switch. More will be revealed.

Make the most of your days!!
Peace,
B
Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
Dazed,
I agree with Hopeful, keep enjoying your coffee and seeking your own peace of mind.

Do you know many recovered addicts? Recovery is a long process. If your AH has truly committed this time, his recovery will become apparent to everyone around him, it will glow quietly. But my stars! Not in the first year! Or even two! Looking for serious change or signs of recovery in an alcoholic who has been sober and attending some kind of recovery practice for a couple weeks after spending years and years of alcoholic drinking is not fair.

AlAnon gave me a lot of tools to learn how to respect that side of the street and see that I needed just as much changing as the As in my life! I could easily sit in judgement of them and their progress or their insanity, but what did that get me? It allowed me to keep the focus on something other than my own problems, faults, dreams, and goals.

When my father ended his 25+ year drinking career that first couple years was really weird and he was all over the map. But his recovery started shining through with consistency and because he truly recovered he was really a changed person. He was so much more enlightened, humorous, compassionate, forgiving, authentic, and respectful than my non-drinking mother who never worked on her own judgemental codie behaviors and attitude and to this day has never self-examined herself or grown towards the kind of genuine present non-judgemental person my father became.

Your AHs behavior sounds completely within spec for an alcoholic who has been sober for a couple weeks after a nasty bender and who is making a bid at recovery. Let him have at it. It is not like a light-switch. More will be revealed.

Make the most of your days!!
Peace,
B
beautiful and well said. Thank you. ❤️
Old 08-02-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi ya dazed,

One of the the things I’ve learned in my dealings with my AW is to not push her buttons, rub her face in it, seek revenge ETC. It took a while for me to get that because I was hurting pretty bad, but it helps everyone.

The guy doesn’t want a divorce, knows he’s getting one anyway, and knows his life is falling apart around him due to his addiction. Imagine the anxiety. I realize his choices brought it on himself, but still.

To me telling an alcoholic spouse, or any spouse, you’re divorcing that you hope that you can still be friends when they haven’t even really accepted the breakup, and before they’ve had their morning coffee comes across as kinda mean.

Good morning, yeah by the way we’re getting a divorce.. is all you’re really saying FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! The let’s be friends part is just sugar on a turd sandwich. Maybe that’s not you’re intent, but that’s how I see it.

You’ve already said divorce, no need to say it again to rub his nose in it, even with the sweet “let’s be friends addendum” it’s just not necessary.

My 2 cents.

Beachn

Old 08-02-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with B!

It usto drive me CRAZY when people would say, "Recovery looks like...recovery." What the heck was that supposto mean?

Once I realized that the drinking was simply a very small part of a entire attitude and personality, I got it. My XAH has NEVER demonstrated the type of attitude of recovery that shines through when it's really happening. Never. That is why he is my X!!!! He could abstain and would still not be recovered.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
what ya type of him reads like early recovery- pretty much like you comin here focused on him doesnt read like true recovery but early recovery.

BOTH of you are going to require time and action to recover.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
what ya type of him reads like early recovery- pretty much like you comin here focused on him doesnt read like true recovery but early recovery.

BOTH of you are going to require time and action to recover.
This ^^^. You both need time and work. You are both right where you can expect to be at this point . . . . big points to you Dazed for getting to a movie and everything else you do to focus on yourself and let him work (or not) his side of the street.

Be it noted here that I still struggle to not run around being the hero to everyone else . . .ugh . . .not saying you do this Dazed; I'm just trying to commiserate.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beachn View Post
Hi ya dazed,

One of the the things I’ve learned in my dealings with my AW is to not push her buttons, rub her face in it, seek revenge ETC. It took a while for me to get that because I was hurting pretty bad, but it helps everyone.

The guy doesn’t want a divorce, knows he’s getting one anyway, and knows his life is falling apart around him due to his addiction. Imagine the anxiety. I realize his choices brought it on himself, but still.

To me telling an alcoholic spouse, or any spouse, you’re divorcing that you hope that you can still be friends when they haven’t even really accepted the breakup, and before they’ve had their morning coffee comes across as kinda mean.

Good morning, yeah by the way we’re getting a divorce.. is all you’re really saying FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! The let’s be friends part is just sugar on a turd sandwich. Maybe that’s not you’re intent, but that’s how I see it.

You’ve already said divorce, no need to say it again to rub his nose in it, even with the sweet “let’s be friends addendum” it’s just not necessary.

My 2 cents.

Beachn

wow. Ok.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
This ^^^. You both need time and work. You are both right where you can expect to be at this point . . . . big points to you Dazed for getting to a movie and everything else you do to focus on yourself and let him work (or not) his side of the street.

Be it noted here that I still struggle to not run around being the hero to everyone else . . .ugh . . .not saying you do this Dazed; I'm just trying to commiserate.
working on it. Truly. Letting go should be the easiest thing in the world, but it’s not. I feel relieved and stressed at the same time. My focus is and has been authenticity. Odaat. Bless all here. ❤️
Old 08-02-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
Letting go should be the easiest thing in the world, but it’s not.
Letting go of our hyper vigilance on our alcoholic loved ones is anything but easy - that's why there are meetings for us and programs for us and sponsorship for us, because letting go of the way we have always lived is hard. Sustained, positive change is hard because it's new. Keeping our focus on us and not the alcoholic is our recovery, our serenity - and it's anything but easy. It's rewarding, the more we practice it, but it is not easy.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree that it is impossible to "know" for certain in very early sobriety if someone is truly in recovery, but I do think there are red flags for not being in recovery which it only makes sense for family to pay attention to to protect themselves.

For example, DC's spouse has been blaming everyone but himself, trying to obviously manipulate her with guilt and fear, and is taking only minimal actions to build a recovery toolbox.

That doesn't look like recovery to me whatever the time frame.
Certainly not with the stakes so high--
Old 08-02-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dazed......try not to poke the bear....
Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I agree that it is impossible to "know" for certain in very early sobriety if someone is truly in recovery, but I do think there are red flags for not being in recovery which it only makes sense for family to pay attention to to protect themselves.

For example, DC's spouse has been blaming everyone but himself, trying to obviously manipulate her with guilt and fear, and is taking only minimal actions to build a recovery toolbox.

That doesn't look like recovery to me whatever the time frame.
Certainly not with the stakes so high--
I left again. I want to honor my inner child and she is devastated right now. I’m trying to go to movies, have civil conversations, exercise, but I’m a mess inside. Seeing him hurts. The man I loved, love, he’s just not there. He knows all the right words to get to me. I don’t want to become hardened, skeptical, or cruel...but I am. I feel like I’m living with a demon. I don’t trust anything he says. I’m hyper vigilant for myself., not him. I’m in extreme protective mode. I’m going away for the rest of the weekend for solitude, grieving, reading, and healing. Maybe space will help me. Do I want what happened seemingly overnight to my life? Hell no. Can I take steps to center myself and find peace? Yes. I’m trying. This all sucks so bad. I think my A is sneaking alcohol and goingbthru the motions to try to manipulate me. I could be wrong but he is so all over the place. Actually I’m scared of him. He yelled at me last night to just have “ a ******* hamburger with hem” when I said I wasn’t hungry. I get the feeling he likes when I’m weak and needy. That makes me feel worse. I will not let him break me anymore than I am. He took a positive, pretty, confident woman and now I’m a wreck. My fault. I let it happen. But I’m not going to do tgat now. I’m trusting my instincts, and my instincts say flee.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There was a guy who used to post on here and he was a very blunt fellow. He was a former army engineer and he had a really bad situation with his alcoholic wife and was trying to keep the family together and protect his kids.

It was when I first came to SR and one of the first posts I read was him suggesting to a person whose alcoholic spouse kept verbally abusing them.
He said that monkeys will sometime throw their poop at people who go see them in open cages. He suggested that this person step back out of "poop range" or they would get covered in sh-t. I never forgot that as I was getting regularly poop-covered by my alcoholic mother at that time.

In the end I did step back and found life much easier. Like you, my instincts told me I was getting to the end of my rope and approaching despair.
Like you, I felt wounded and a shell of my former self from all of it.
I still had to navigate in her perimeter somewhat as she could no longer manage anything for herself anymore--but I kept it minimal, detached emotionally, and outsourced all the care and direct contact things I could.

But once she was out of my life--she died from her addictions to smoking an drinking in the end--I slowly began to heal--to feel my well-of-self start gradually to fill. Of course, by then my own alcohol addiction was growing as I had a kind of PTSD from her abuse and constant hospitalizations, tantrums, crisis, and neediness, so perhaps I was bailing just about as fast as I was filling.

But anyway, the longer I was free of her constant demands for attention and indulgence, the more I saw the truth of her manipulation and abuse and it really hurt but also freed me to realize I had nothing to feel guilty about.

Adults can make their own decisions--even the decision to destroy themselves with drink if they choose.

But we don't have to go down with them or even witness it--and when you love another person that much it is soul-shattering to watch. We can step back with honor and love ourselves enough to find safety and get out of poop-zone. Trust your instincts and do just that.

PS -I think you are right about him sneaking drinks from what you've shared.
Your instincts can be trusted more than what an alcoholic says.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And now to top it off as I was leaving I banged my toe on a cupboard and it’s swollen and hurts. Sheesh.