I need information

Old 01-21-2002, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
motherofthree

Unhappy I need information

Here is my story. I am married to a man that has been drinking for 30 years+. I have never seen him drunk and because of that I could never have enough argument or a reason to stop him from drinking. He can drink and function and you would never know that he drinks all the time. On the weekend he would drink from morning until night and it would not affect him in any way.

To make a long story short on 1-17-2002 I took him to the emergency room because he had severe pain in his abdomen. Doctors determined that he has acute pancreatitis and it is caused by alcohol intake. At this moment he is in the hospital being hooked up to all kinds of equipment that feeds him and other things. Also he is detoxing and has hallucinations and acting totally bizarre. It is going on for 4 days now and I do not know how long it will take until he comes around. The doctors do not know either. I am very confused and concerned that he will never be himself again and also I know if he drinks again he may die.

I would like to know if anybody could shed some light on this subject. How long does it take for the person to detox?

Old 01-21-2002, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

One of my very best friends went through detox with the same reactions. The detox here would not let anyone in to visit for the first week just for that reason. He made it through just fine and was sober and healthy for the next 18 years of his life. (He passed away last year from something else.) He was always such a help with my A. I miss him a lot especially now that I made the choice to divorce. I have 3 teens myself and sometimes the economics of the situation are overwhelming, but when I made the decision to cut loose I realized I had to prepare to hit rock bottom also. I attend alanon meetings and this forum is so wonderful. Just know that you are not alone and this could be the beginning of the rest of your life. Just know that the doctors and the HP will take care of things as they are meant to be. You have not lost him yet and this could be a good thing. Please keep posting and let us know how things turn out. Cheryl
Old 01-21-2002, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

ditto
Old 01-21-2002, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
motherofthree

I am soooo happy, he is finally out of his stupor. He actually called me on the phone and knew what day it was. Social worker called me and told me that he will send a person to talk to him about his drinking. I hope he listens and learns.

Old 01-21-2002, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

he probably had alcohol on the brain and that might have been what was causing the dilusions.... my addict had that happen - as his doctor told me - the body can only metabolize so much alcohol and when it overflows it sits on the top of the brain and cause all sorts of wierd things to happen and his brain literally had to "dry out"......

Ogly

Old 01-22-2002, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
motherofthree

How long does it take before he becomes normal?

Old 01-22-2002, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

First let me ask your definition of normal.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
motherofthree

Normal is going to work, playing with a kids, knowing where he is and answering questions like a normal human being. I problem is that I had never seen him drunk. He drinks but does not show in any way. So for me normal is the way he was before. Today he thinks he is a hostage in some country. Being tortured and sarved. I consider this being totaly of the wall.

Old 01-22-2002, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi mother, I'm home... No really, just a little humor for you....
I know things are funny for you right now, and wasn't making light of your situation..When my dad detoxed from alcohol, he had convulsions, and all sorts of things. He damned near died, but he DIDN'T. Going through detox from such a prolonged use of alcohol is quite shocking to the system. My dad drank for my entire life, and was detoxed after using for probably around close to 40 years. First he will get through this, he is being closely monitored by the docs, it is not for you to worry so about. Let God and the docs take care of him for now. Once he gets through this, he will have to work on his recovery diligently. I would suggest you run, not walk, to the nearest al-anon meetings in your area. They can provide the much needed support for YOU during this time. They can also help you understand about yourself, and how to be happy with you. Your husband will have to make his own decisions about what choices he will make concerning his recovery, and so will you for yourself. So remember you, you know the one inside your skin, and take care of her. Pamper her, and love her very, very much. Be gentle with yourself, and know you will always have love and someone here who cares about you. Take care!
As always~
The Wife
Old 01-23-2002, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

If he's drank for 30+ years and now has the problems you have described, he will not be able to go back to the normal you have come to know anyway. This is a time for change. You have a long road ahead. I don't mean to scare you anymore than you all ready are, but it IS going to be difficult for him when he finally gets out to work on his recovery. Just think of it in the same terms as physical therapy for an injury. The only difference is that you need therapy too. I would recommend finding a group in your area. The hospital he is in is a good place to start. Good luck and keep posting. Cheryl