Things a "normie" wouldn't know.... Part 2

Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things a "normie" wouldn't know.... Part 2

This is the continuation of

Things a "normie" wouldn't know.... Part 1

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html

Which I split because it got too long for the server to handle.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Hi Mike! I'm so glad to see your little blinking helmet guy again.

Things a Normie wouldn't know:
How to spot an A or addict right away, smile nice like, and create a boundary a mile wide.
I can do that now, thanks to SR, Al-anon and my HP.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

"Normies" wouldn't get how a thread like this gets so long it has to be split because the server can't handle it.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Thanks Mike. I'm not sure if it "qualifies," but is it possible to put Part I in the Stickies? I love that thread.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

transformyself, oh ya. The husband got a new guy working for him last year and I tried to tell him, that guy is an alcoholic. "Nah, he's fine." This year the guy has shown up to work drunk, etc. etc. I've kept my mouth shut but boy...this year has been rough.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Normies wouldn't know the extent or toxicity of the Denial, Rationalization and Manipulation we experience, become victim to, and become enmeshed in, in our lives. Normies think "Denial" means something that happens when your insurance company doesn't pay your claim; think "Rationalization" has something to do with mathematics; and think "Manipulation" is something chiropractors do. Normies have no concept that these sick relationships even exist.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is Learn2Live,

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...es-me-cry.html
Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Pix!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

normies don't move closer to the local drinking holes so they can walk/stumble/fall in the ditch without getting another DUI.

normies don't monitor a passed-out person's vitals all night. Unless the normie's a Hospice volunteer.

normies don't take verbal abuse like "you're ugly" or "get away from me" or my personal non-favorite.." (insert Not your name) kisses for you" (ouch) (who are you again? I don't remember my own name let alone yours...oh wait how about a threesome with the chick you work with..would you ask her)

normie's don't allow (my xah) to burst into their separation apartment and get hit, things thrown at them, and verbal/emotional abuse in front of their sleeping child. and then normies dont go back home because the xah drained the bank account, spread lies in town and threatened to bury them in court. (thank the lord for the strength to get out..took way too long)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Skipper

Normies don't think to remove cooking wine from their pantries and Nyquil from their medicine cabinets.

Normies would never think a person would hide a flask in their undershorts, toilet tanks, under the tool box, and (fill in the blank).

Normies would not find bottles hidden in their homes months after their alcoholic family member moves out.

Normies are so cute and naive. I wonder what it's like?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So, I've read ALL of these and can relate to most of them all too well. While sad and true, they did provide some laughs during a very difficult weekend Thought I'd add a few of my own...

-Normies don't keep seperate checking accounts so the bills get paid.

-Normies don't know every spot in the house big enough to hide a bottle of alcohol (and are actually impressed when they find bottles in new places).

-Normies don't do weekly sweeps of the house looking/counting empty or partially filled bottles of alcohol.

-Normies can't smell an empty cup and tell you the type of alcohol that was in it.

-Normies don't have to smell drink containers in the fridge before they drink them, just to make sure it's actually juice or ice tea.

-Normies don't have anxiety when returning home after being at work all day.

-Normies have never had to shower with the door locked for any reason other than wanting privacy.

-Normies don't count pills and hide prescriptions.

-Normies aren't told that "I'm not taking the anti-buse because it's bad for my liver", after coming home and finding a drunk fiance and an empty bottle of jack daniels. (Seriously...do I look THAT stupid??!)

-Normies don't give "welcome home kisses" just to determine if, what, and how much he was drinking.

-Normies don't tell their fiance they are proud of them for 1) not drinking today and 2) going to his court ordered DUI class (which I drove him to!)

I'm sure there are plenty more and I'll post them as I think of them. It helps me to know I'm not alone and that others know what I'm going through.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Normies dont have keys to other peoples houses on their keyring, keys given to them in case they need somewhere safe to go in the middle of the night. Normies also dont have a small packed bag in their trunk "just in case" a quick escape is needed.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

*shakes head* this thread is so sad...i hate it!! addiction/disease sucks!!
Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(Sure this one might've already been said, but worth repeating)

Normies don't live by the ONE kind of alcohol-free mouthwash and know that not only is there alcohol in the regular kind but that it is perfectly drinkable too.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Normies don't have to worry that if there is a fire or some other emergency in the middle of the night that they would have to leave their passed out husband in bed because he is too heavy to lift and is impossible to wake once "asleep".

Normies have never had to physically push their "sleeping" significant other over using all their strength just so they could have a small place to sleep on the bed.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A normie will never know the pain of loving an Alcoholic because they wouldn't care enough to try to fix them or stick around long enough.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Normies don't have to hurry their spouse through the grocery store because they're drunk, and spy yet something else they want to pile in the cart "cause that looks good" like a two year old.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ThatLittleGirl

Normies don't know different medications just by sight (color, pill #, etc...). They've never seen a loved one down 15+ pills at a time...and they can't tell when one set of pills has been substituted out for, oh say Excederin Migraine, to try to cover up their abuse. Normies can't look at a bottle of capsules and tell which ones have been opened and have half the contents missing.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Normies don't know that:

- the cost of an ambulance to take a person to the hospital because he was found passed out on the street is $1100 in the next town over, as opposed to $1000 in your own town.

- boiling water is the best way to take urine stains out of a mattress, but it takes at least 10 hours to dry the mattress.

- the next time one's 81 year old mother has to call the police because one's boyfriend has beaten that one in her mother's house and she kicked him out, but he decided to buy a pint of vodka and drink it on her woodpile because he had no where to go: ask for the unmarked police cars because the whole neighborhood showed up to find out if their long time neighbor had a stroke.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A normie wouldn't know what it's like to wake up in the middle of the night, in the third trimester of pregnancy, thinking you'd accidentally wet the bed -- only to realize that it wasn't you.

A normie doesn't know what it's like to hear their husband fall down the basement stairs and think, "There he goes again." And continue with whatever they were doing.

A normie wouldn't carry their debit card around in their unmentionables so that the resident alcoholic can't find it and drink the money, no matter how hard he tries.