Things a "normie" wouldn't know.... Part 2

Old 08-10-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rayn3dr0p View Post
Normies don't meet a mamma's boy who can drink like a sailor with no job, no car, no ambition, a DUI under his belt, and anger issues and think, "Wow, this one's a keeper!"
that hit home
Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Normies don't watch their children turn into their next alcoholic/addict right before their very eyes.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Normies dont hear that their loved one is coming home from rehab and wish the treatment center would keep him just a little bit longer.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Normies don't try to sneak a look to see if the whites of their loved ones eyes are yellowish from liver disease. Or whether their nails are clubbed (another clue). Or how white their nails are (yet another sign). Not because their loved one will go to the doctor, because they won't, but to get an idea of how long they might have on this earth.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I just found this site and am already starting to feel better today! Thank you

Normies wouldn't have to shop outside their local drug store because AH peed himself standing in line to purchase another bottle of bourbon.

This still cracks me up
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Normies wouldn't seriously consider giving pictures of their 'A's to all the local liquor stores in hopes of preventing a binge, but then realizing that wouldn't work anyway because there is always beer and wine at any convenient or grocery stores nearby.

Normies wouldn't secretly smell their spouse’s breath to determine if your suspicions are correct and they have in fact been drinking despite telling you “no” and showering to hide the smell.

Normies wouldn’t understand the pain of having your spouse tell you that the sight of you makes them sick, that the thought of sexual relations with you makes them gag, that what person would want to be with someone that looks like they are pregnant all the time (overweight reference), and that they had never ever been happy with you and wants a divorce.

Normies also wouldn’t understand, the next day after those hurtful words, the ‘A’s ability to not remember any of them, and the apologies to the ones they do.

It feels good to get it out. It is hard dealing with the rippling effects of an alcoholic loved one.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Wow! I almost hate that I chuckled at so many of these because I know they are soooo true. I guess it is nice if after all of this we can still have a sense of humor.

A normie would never think of washing dishes in the bathtub because the AH keeps insisting he will fix the broken disposal.
A normie would probably be concerned if her husband slipped and knocked a hole in the shower.
A normie would never be able to have a discussion with her ex, 5 years later, 400 miles away and immediately know that he has relapsed.
A normie would never know the pain at the core of her gut when on a business trip her 5 year old daughter tells her daddy is sleeping and its 4pm

Thanks so much to all who have shared. This has helped me tremendously today.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Normies don't know what a functioning alcoholic looks like.
Normies don't know that the phrase "its nice to drink casually" is a red flag.
Normies don't count how many drinks they have at a function.
Normies don't know why taking a walk on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon sounds like a bad idea.
Normies don't know why she sleeps so much.
Normies don't know why she can't sit still.
Normies don't know why her hands are shaking (I thought she was just nervous).
Old 08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Normies wouldn't continue to drive away while the 'A' persistently screams that you ran over their foot, but you know that it is not true and just a form of manipulation.

Normies would not, just for laughs to scare them, set their house alarm to go off when the 'A' tries to go outside to retrieve more of the hidden alcohol from their car.

Normies would not watch with amazement as their extremely intoxicated ‘A’ clumsily attempts to hide their whisky bottle in the juice glass cupboard while you are standing two feet away, and listening as they say that you are crazy for thinking that they have been drinking.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

The guilt you feel when hunting their latest stash (until you get beyond that point)

The mind numbing and energy draining sadness you feel when you look at their drunken body sleeping where it falls down.

The fear of other people finding out.

The incredibly accute sense of smell where alcohol is concerned.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Normies wouldn't know that the first time you stumble upon someone pouring vodka into a coffee cup at 8 a.m. it feels like a punch in the gut.

It actually physically feels like a punch in the gut!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

normies dont have electrical outlets on their bedroom walls that dont work because their husband peed on them.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I threw AH a 50th birthday party, invited a few of our friends and let his 22 year old A son invite some of his friends.
I bet... 50 year old normies wouldn't know how to play beer pong.
50 year old normies wouldn't know the 18 year old girls playing in the pool are
actually strippers.
50 year old normies wouldn't know the strippers were a birthday present for AH
from his wonderful A son.
Normies wouldn't know how to make excuses for the untimely
departures of the strippers.
Normies would't know how to explain all this chaos to their own teenage
daughters.
Neither do I
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Originally Posted by pandypoo View Post
A normie would never know the pain at the core of her gut when on a business trip her 5 year old daughter tells her daddy is sleeping and its 4pm
I just spent an afternoon this weekend passed out sleeping on the couch and got yelled at ... until they realized I must have really had a hard week - and I wasn't sleeping off a hangover. It has been two and a half years since I had a drink. It was a relief on both sides to know it's no longer because I was out boozing until 0500.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

A normie wouldn't know what it's like to see your husband wearing your skirt (and ripping it in the process) because he thinks it's his pants.....
Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

A normie wouldn't be able to hear the freezer door opening from across the house.
A normie wouldn't know the fear of hearing thier AH stop snoring and fear that they have stopped breathing.
A normie wouldn't know what it is like to wake up all alone at 2, 3, 4, or 5 am.
A normie wouldn't push thier family and friends away so they won't see how bad it really is.
A normie wouldn't be recognized by voice when calling the bar looking......
A normie has never been left at home all dressed up for a party wating while the AH goes to "buy cigarettes" and is gone for hours......
Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

A normie wouldn't know the shame of being f***ed by a half limp male anatomy part....
I think that has been the worst blow to my self esteem, even though I knew it wasn't my fault.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

A "normie" wouldn't know that permanent magic marker CAN be removed from a money order made out to the electric company and the local 24 hour check cashing place WILL cash the obviously altered money order
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
a normie wouldn't look for the signs/red flags of possible DUI. In the past 2 weeks even without watching much tv, saw a guy on Excess Baggage - that one of his was, he had to ride a skateboard everyplace. You might have a DUI (I thought), he did. Now this in today's paper - DUI charges filed after wedding-night crash. Bill, 56, is charged with DUI, recklessly endangering another person, reckless driving, roadways laned for traffic and trespass by motor vehicle, according to police.

Kelly, 40, was transported by helicopter after the vehicle in which the couple was traveling crashed into a home.

police, firefighters and emergency medical personnel were dispatched, Sunday at 3:01 a.m. for a report of a vehicle into a house with possible entrapment.

The vehicle had been traveling at a high rate of speed, witnesses reported. The vehicle reportedly crossed the double yellow line to pass another vehicle and lost control.

Hopefully she recovers well and realizes what kind of marriage she is in. The Excess Baggage contestant passed on the skateboard guy, she likes to be picked up by car & driven on dates.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

LOL @ jayjay 1882....sadly...I am familiar with that limp male anatomy.