I'm really angry!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Emotional Shutdown

Hard to go to counseling when you don't have insurance. I have been unemployed for 3 years. I AM looking for a job but there are not many out there in my state (and no, I cannot move, not until July 2012).

I have downgraded this relationship to friends with benefits. I may downgrade it to "nothing" in a few days. I cannot take this stress. I need my life back.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PickMe View Post
Hard to go to counseling when you don't have insurance. I have been unemployed for 3 years. I AM looking for a job but there are not many out there in my state (and no, I cannot move, not until July 2012).

I have downgraded this relationship to friends with benefits. I may downgrade it to "nothing" in a few days. I cannot take this stress. I need my life back.
Getting your life back sounds like a good plan. If I couldn't go to therapy, I would get myself to Al-anon. Every time I go, it is SUCH a relief and I leave feeling relaxed and able to tackle whatever it is in my life that needs to be tackled.

I hope today is brighter and comes with some clarity for you.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

I cannot take this stress. I need my life back.
Yes!

Somewhere inside all of us, we know what we need. The problem only happens because we stop listening to ourselves, and start listening to what others say we need.

Trust yourself. You will find your answer when you are ready to listen.

You are not alone. You are in the right place.

One of the strengths I have found on this board is that other people challenge our way of thinking. Sometimes they are right, and something they are wrong - it doesn't really matter, what matters is that it makes us think, and that helps us reconnect with our true selves.
That said, for people who are used to being told constantly that we are wrong, sometimes it is difficult to take others' words in the spirit they were given, without getting defensive. We have all done it, at one point or another - the trick is to realize what is happening, and step back to breathe a little first before we lose ourselves again. Learning how to do that is another step in our own recovery.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

PickMe,

I think you have drawn a boundary line, and not in the sand, but in hard rock.

"No more alcoholics, period". Recovering, or not, you don't want anything to do with that type of person anymore.

What's wrong with observing your own boundary? You've suffered enough pain from alcholics, and you don't want anymore.

So go ahead and give yourself the right to observe your own boundary. It's a good one by the way, because one never knows when alcoholic thinking will show up, and possibly worse-relapse.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Emotional Shutdown

Originally Posted by stella27 View Post
Getting your life back sounds like a good plan. If I couldn't go to therapy, I would get myself to Al-anon. Every time I go, it is SUCH a relief and I leave feeling relaxed and able to tackle whatever it is in my life that needs to be tackled.

I hope today is brighter and comes with some clarity for you.
I'm averaging 5 meetings a week for Al-Anon.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm averaging 5 meetings a week for Al-Anon.
wow. that is awesome. I always find excuses not to go even though I know it would benefit me greatly.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see your post that you are attending Al-Anon meetings.
Many Hugs coming your way.