Notices

I am back and ready to start again

Old 11-03-2019, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am back and ready to start again

Hello friends
I has given up on sobriety for a while. I was a once a week binge drinker but over the last year I’ve been getting wasted 2-3 times a week.
I have read and listened to audiobooks, yoga, meditation, but always found myself back where I started. I need to kick this habit before it claims anymore of my time.

I need a plan. For now, I will go to an AA meeting this week on Thursday and Friday, and try to make plans for every hour of the weekend. And of course, I will start posting often here again.

I need to get this right once and for all!!
thanks
Old 11-03-2019, 02:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Clark

Have you thought about getting a sponsor and doing the Steps?

D
Old 11-03-2019, 03:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee!
yes I did have a sponsor the last time and was on step 5 when I left. I had about 40 days sober that time. I’m going to see if I can get in touch with him again.

Most importantly I need a strategy for when my mind says ‘screw it lets drink’. That thought is the start of a irreversible slide towards that first drink for me. I have tried simply observing the thought without judgement as mindful meditation teaches. But sometimes I’ll spend a whole day wrestling with the thought that I simply cave because I’m mentally exhausted of thinking about drinking.

I need to learn to deal with difficult emotions. This is something I have never been good at.

i have a lot of work to do I know. But for the short term, I need strategies to help me get that thought out of my head or effectively deal with it when it arises. I don’t know if I’m making sense!

thank you
Old 11-03-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can you make plans for every day instead of just the weekends? Just a thought.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks controls,

that’s a good idea. However I’m usually safe until Friday rolls around. If I have to go to work the next day, I usually won’t drink. But as soon as I have a day off the next day all bets are off.

im not sure what plans to make on weekdays. I mean, I get home from work around 7pm. Then I catch up with my son and wife. But sometimes if the ‘thought’ has bitten me at around 5pm.. I can feel the slide downhill. I still need to go home to be with my wife and son. Trouble is my place is on top of liquor store. Just being home brings me in close proximity with booze.

the only way for me is meetings I think. I need someone to call. Only AA provides that for me. I’m a little embarrassed to say that I’m 43 but have very few friends I can just talk to and share. I know tons of people. But have no real friends.

anyhoo I’m all over the place today!
i need to start posting here/calling people (even if it’s my mom!) / and just stop living in my shell I guess
Old 11-03-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sound a lot like me. You make perfect sense.

I was seeing someone when I first got in the program. Wasn't the best relationship but i guess it helped. Now I'm back to almost no friends and I'm a few years older. It's an uphill battle. I'm still close with my childhood friends but they are out of state, the one that lived here died a few years ago. Now without a GF I'm really in a dangerous spot.

It's good that you are starting to see the where and how your getting beat. I got beat much the same. You seem to have an edge in that you have some yoga background so you probably know more about meditation type stuff than I do. Sometimes just stopping to take a breath helps me during the day. Our breathing and heart rate IS something we can control (unless serious med condition). Evey now and then I stop during the day to breath and/or fire off a quick prayer.

Like one of my defenses against general anxiety, change the channel! Your head is like a television, I like to think about what a loser everyone thinks I am so i change the channel and start thinking about something else.

Lately on fridays after work I've been running 3.1 miles against a watch as hard and fast as I possibly can. I let the thought of how I'm gonna feel after that run consume me during the day.

These thoughts of drink come like waves, be patient they will pass. I know some can be tsunamis but hang in there, every now and then control your breathing, ask God or your higher power for help and change the channel look forward to something else.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clarkkent11 View Post
Hello friends
I need to get this right once and for all!!
thanks
Hey...you are at the best place of your life in a long time...stay close.

The screw it and F it times are critical moments to overcome and act soberly. Besides myself, in meetings on forums, those S and F times come up a lot. Make a plan for when you start thinking thus.

The hold can be strong...but the decision to live sober far outweighs the short term relief. Thanks for posting
Old 11-03-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope you make a plan and follow it like your life depends on it.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Channal your focus on recovery related things . read and post here. Anything to get the mind off booze. Your sick heck we all our thats why we here. This site is one of my crutches . ✌
Old 11-03-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

But sometimes I’ll spend a whole day wrestling with the thought that I simply cave because I’m mentally exhausted of thinking about drinking.
This is such a hard part of recovery, but you can get past it. And, I believe there is no other way to deal with cravings than to get through them. That's how they diminish. Distract yourself any way you can.

And, don't forget to add something enjoyable and fun to your day.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks controls,

that’s a good idea. However I’m usually safe until Friday rolls around. If I have to go to work the next day, I usually won’t drink. But as soon as I have a day off the next day all bets are off.

im not sure what plans to make on weekdays. I mean, I get home from work around 7pm. Then I catch up with my son and wife. But sometimes if the ‘thought’ has bitten me at around 5pm.. I can feel the slide downhill. I still need to go home to be with my wife and son. Trouble is my place is on top of liquor store. Just being home brings me in close proximity with booze.

the only way for me is meetings I think. I need someone to call. Only AA provides that for me. I’m a little embarrassed to say that I’m 43 but have very few friends I can just talk to and share. I know tons of people. But have no real friends.

anyhoo I’m all over the place today!
i need to start posting here/calling people (even if it’s my mom!) / and just stop living in my shell I guess

So glad you are here! I highlighted a few things - you ultimately got down to the key point, since you are willing to start AA - "the only way for meetings, I need someone to call and only AA provides that for me." For me, that meant every day of the week to start (nearly the 82 of 90 meetings usually recommended by folks). At 3+ yrs I usually go to 4-6 a week. I've varied my schedule and priorities to do that along the way, because it keeps supporting my sober life. And the "I'm usually fine til Friday" stuff is def some thinking that gets so many people...drinking.

A weekday plan might not look like meetings - but it truly can. Even if one night a week you changed plans with your family - that would be one more night closer to a permanent sober life. They - and you - will only benefit!!

You can do this.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your deciding to take care of yourself and start your sober journey.
You are worth it.
Day 9 for me
Old 11-04-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi.

So glad you're back.

Around here, there are plenty of early riser meetings. You could give that a shot? It's a good way to start the day.

O
Old 11-04-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Obladi- thanks! I’ll check that out!
Old 11-04-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

^^Around here (Atlanta) there is a 730 Tu and Fri I love (and, um, it's literally next door at the church by our apt complex!). I've gotten to know the folks there well, and if I were to only go to 2 mtgs a week, it should be these!! I bet you can find & settle in well somewhere on the regular.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you August. Planning to hit a meeting on Thursday. I don’t live in the US. But there are a few meetings about an hour from where I live. Looks like I’ll have time to read the Big Book on the commute!
Day 3 and feeling better apart from some sleep issues.
onward and upward !
Old 11-08-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Messed it up again Friday trigger

Man oh man. It’s my fault. I didn’t plan ahead. I didn’t go to the meeting. I just started struggling on Friday afternoon. Kept blocking the thoughts and by the time I got home the anxiety was unbearable.

and again today I am right where I started 6 days. Ago. I need to plan something with someone everyday for the next 7 days. I am not sure why meetings sound like a great idea when I’m hungover. But after 2-3 days of sobriety I feel like I have a handle on things and don’t go.

this broken record is getting so old.
I reached out to a psychiatrist while drinking last night. He’s referring me to someone he knows.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I think is really important to have a plan Clark - one that you can pit into action easily.

You're going to run into opportunities/reasons/excuses to drink sooner or later, and its way better to be prepared than not.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
D
Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just got out of my first AA meeting after a long gap

Felt really good to be back the rooms. Everyone remembered me and welcomed me back. Time to get to work
Old 11-09-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks D
I know.. I need to walk the talk