View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RecklessDrunk

You sound a lot like me. You make perfect sense.

I was seeing someone when I first got in the program. Wasn't the best relationship but i guess it helped. Now I'm back to almost no friends and I'm a few years older. It's an uphill battle. I'm still close with my childhood friends but they are out of state, the one that lived here died a few years ago. Now without a GF I'm really in a dangerous spot.

It's good that you are starting to see the where and how your getting beat. I got beat much the same. You seem to have an edge in that you have some yoga background so you probably know more about meditation type stuff than I do. Sometimes just stopping to take a breath helps me during the day. Our breathing and heart rate IS something we can control (unless serious med condition). Evey now and then I stop during the day to breath and/or fire off a quick prayer.

Like one of my defenses against general anxiety, change the channel! Your head is like a television, I like to think about what a loser everyone thinks I am so i change the channel and start thinking about something else.

Lately on fridays after work I've been running 3.1 miles against a watch as hard and fast as I possibly can. I let the thought of how I'm gonna feel after that run consume me during the day.

These thoughts of drink come like waves, be patient they will pass. I know some can be tsunamis but hang in there, every now and then control your breathing, ask God or your higher power for help and change the channel look forward to something else.