View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by clarkkent11 View Post
Thanks controls,

that’s a good idea. However I’m usually safe until Friday rolls around. If I have to go to work the next day, I usually won’t drink. But as soon as I have a day off the next day all bets are off.

im not sure what plans to make on weekdays. I mean, I get home from work around 7pm. Then I catch up with my son and wife. But sometimes if the ‘thought’ has bitten me at around 5pm.. I can feel the slide downhill. I still need to go home to be with my wife and son. Trouble is my place is on top of liquor store. Just being home brings me in close proximity with booze.

the only way for me is meetings I think. I need someone to call. Only AA provides that for me. I’m a little embarrassed to say that I’m 43 but have very few friends I can just talk to and share. I know tons of people. But have no real friends.

anyhoo I’m all over the place today!
i need to start posting here/calling people (even if it’s my mom!) / and just stop living in my shell I guess

So glad you are here! I highlighted a few things - you ultimately got down to the key point, since you are willing to start AA - "the only way for meetings, I need someone to call and only AA provides that for me." For me, that meant every day of the week to start (nearly the 82 of 90 meetings usually recommended by folks). At 3+ yrs I usually go to 4-6 a week. I've varied my schedule and priorities to do that along the way, because it keeps supporting my sober life. And the "I'm usually fine til Friday" stuff is def some thinking that gets so many people...drinking.

A weekday plan might not look like meetings - but it truly can. Even if one night a week you changed plans with your family - that would be one more night closer to a permanent sober life. They - and you - will only benefit!!

You can do this.