Notices

It’s officially da

Old 08-19-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s officially da

It’s officially day 7 now. It’s 10pm here. My mind won’t stop racing. Payday tomorrow and I am terrified I will go to the pub. I am only allowed to drive small distances now.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on Day 7, Sweetie! How did the appointment go yesterday?
How have you been officially restricted to short distance driving? I’m in the U.K. and we don’t have such a thing here, we either have a license, or we don’t, on medical or other grounds. Is it related to your fall and concussion?
Old 08-19-2019, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job sweeti!! Day 7 can be day 8. You CAN do this. Get outside today even it if is just to sit outside. If you can walk a little do that!
Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You could buy yourself nice food and a film tomorrow instead, or some other treat. If you're anything like me you'll save astronomical amounts of money by not drinking.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on a week! I'm so proud of you!!

Don't let your mind play games with you. It helped me to breathe and let my mind calm down. I used to swear at the voice, "G-D you, I won't drink! No one can make me drink!"

Here are some other things that helped me in the early days:

1. Anything recovery related:
a. Read the Big Book
b. Post online
c. Go to a meeting
d. Call a friend and tell them how I was feeling (including women in AA)
e. Encourage someone else who was struggling

2. Journal how I was feeling
3. Eat ice cream
4. Beware of HALT--hungry, angry, lonely, tired (and bored)--try to figure out if I was feeling one of these things and what I could do instead
5. Distract myself
6. Write a list of all the things I'm grateful for (still alive, nice day, being sober--it was really simple things at first. Gratitude is an amazing emotion that can be cultivated and strengthened--this really can help a lot.)

Come here and post all day if you need to. Be honest with us about how you're feeling. Sometimes writing it out (or talking) can expose the thoughts and make them less powerful.

And I cried a lot. I had spent years numbing my emotions and hadn't realized how much was inside. I spent a LOT of time crying. Once I let myself give into the emotions, it became a relief.

You're beginning to heal. Keep it up.

Don't be afraid. Be proactive.

You're doing amazing, Sweeti. Please keep on this path.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Well done on 7 days. Payday is always one of your major triggers picking up day. Now you are aware of this put things in place so you don’t give in to that head and av. you have no reason to drink don’t let it tell you that you have. Just sit on your hands till the day is over if it helps just do not use the old payday excuse to drink today. You can do this sweetchick drinking is killing you slowly
Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 7 is great, but are you on day 7 because you are putting everything into sobriety, or because you are unable to drink until payday arrives? The sober time really needs to be because you want to be SOBER, and not simply because you are unable to afford to drink right now or are too unwell from your fall to get to the liquor store.

Like everyone here, I desperately want you to be sober, as you are gradually killing yourself with this terrible addiction, but you have to want this as much as we all do. If you want to live through this, today needs to be the day you break the cycle of 'stuffing up' every time pay day comes.

If you're scared you will go to the pub, you obviously have the energy available to go to the pub. Use that energy to go to the AA meetings you keep missing.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done, Sweeti !!! Proud of you. ((()))
Old 08-19-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

7 days is wonderful. Hoping and praying this is the beginning of your new, sober life Sweeti.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Great job!! I can't remember you ever posting that you have not drank for a full week. Can you get to an AA meeting tomorrow or meet up with some of the folks from the meeting? I'm sure that if you talk to them that at least one will be willing to meet you and have an impromptu meeting to help you out. This would be a great time to have a sponsor to lean on.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Maybe tomorrow you can keep yourself busy filling in whatever forms you need to get your super, ring round rehabs and get yourself booked into one, get bills and other things sorted out and make arrangements for everything you need to before you go to rehab.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick1 View Post
It’s officially day 7 now. It’s 10pm here. My mind won’t stop racing. Payday tomorrow and I am terrified I will go to the pub. I am only allowed to drive small distances now.
Hurry up and think of something you are going to buy yourself for being sober a week instead of the pub...

Is there a shirt you want? Or a dress? Or makeup? Or jewelry? Or a favorite resturaunt that you don't drink at?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m with Missy. I love to reward myself with self care products. Getting my hair or nails done . Buying some new cosmetics or scented candles. I’m on day five and plan on getting myself a treat of some sort this week
Old 08-19-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How about trying some different thinking if different action isn't going to happen.

Maybe "Tomorrow is payday. I'm not going to drink, no matter what. I'm NOT going to change my mind".

You have been saying the same thing, week after week, after month after year about payday. Maybe change it up.

Wish I had a payday! Haha. Guess I'd better got get that job. Hey, what about a job SC? Maybe the paycheck will mean more to you? I dunno. Seems sitting around your house, drinking, hurting yourself, drying out, payday, drinking again isn't working so well.

Lets get a job SC. I mean, you're younger than I am. We can do it. And I have to so there is that! Come on SC. Lets sing a new song. This old one is getting boring. Don't you think?
Old 08-19-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats to day 7 ... day 6 for me, I feel ya!!! .
Old 08-19-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All great ideas, CupofJoe.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Loving the positive vibes on this thread. Good work sweeti. Payday is just another day. Please try something new from all the great suggestions. Payday or any day or every day .
Old 08-19-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job, Sweeti!
Old 08-19-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week Sweeti. I believe you can break this payday/drink association.

Stay on here all day if you have to, hit a meeting online if a real one would be too hard to get to, listen to some Joe and Charlie,. read the BB, use the tools outpatient has given you, whatever.

you can do this

D
Old 08-19-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the great ideas guys and the encouragement..my driving is restricted due to dizziness from the concussion. It’s only doctors ordered. I don’t want to have a accident though so are doing what he says I have to order groceries online today.. I drove around for the corner to buy bread and milk.. my walking is better today and I actually slept through the night. There is an online meeting in ten. Minutes..Istill can’t think straight. Thanks for the congratulations. I read Missy’s post. On how I did it last night. It was really helpful.