Notices

I'm not doing well

Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not doing well

I'm not usually the sharing type, but I'm not doing well today. I was in a car accident a few months ago, which required three surgeries in different parts of my body, and which I'm still recovering from.

I was told that the fracture in my ankle could lead to what is known as osteoporosis, where the bone essentially "dies" from lack of adequate blood supply. If that happens, I'm looking at an ankle fusion, which would mean another surgery, another recovery, and the loss of movement in my foot.

I had another follow-up today, and was told that I have poor blood supply in that ankle, and that I still cannot walk, because the bone could collapse. The other fractures are serious, but they should eventually heal. However, this one is completely up in the air, and I could permanently lose function and mobility.

As of right now, I cannot return to work, and if things do not improve, I might not be able to return to work at all, at least not the kind of work that I was doing. I honestly do not know how to process this potential catastrophe, since there is nothing I can do about it except to wait.

If ever there was a time to drink, this would be it, says the disgusting thing inside me that doesn't understand that the bone would definitely collapse if I drank. It doesn't care. It would cripple me for a drink. It has taken so much already, so why not take even more?

I'm not going to drink, or even take the pain medication (that thing would probably love that too!) -- but I'm not doing so well.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're right, drinking won't make it better and will make it worse. I'm so sorry. I'm also glad that you survived the accident. Hugs.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds like such a horrible, painful, frightening situation. I think the condition you meant was osteomyelitis or osteonecrosis. Not that that helps. I looked up osteonecrosis though, and apparently alcoholism is a proposed factor. So drinking, even if you don't fall, might not be the best course of action even if the situation looks bleak. You need to heal.

Thankfully you survived though. Wow.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
I looked up osteonecrosis though, and apparently alcoholism is a proposed factor.
You are correct -- Osteonecrosis, or alternatively, Avascular Necrosis.

Heavy drinking can cause it as well.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Algorithm, I'm so sorry to hear this. It's upsetting and frightening to face a potential loss like this, and not be able to do anything but wait.

When I'm faced with things that are frightening and beyond my control, I soothe my mind by repeating something mentally. It can be a prayer if you go in for that, or can just be a word or phrase, a mantra if you will. Metta meditation (lovingkindness) provides some helpful phrases. I also use the serenity prayer a lot (can be changed to "may I find the serenity to accept ..."etc). These things can help me while I'm waiting or processing bad news.

That's not meant in any way to minimize the challenge you are facing, it's just a small thing that might provide some comfort along the way.

Keep posting here too, as the SR collective wisdom and support can help. We are here for you.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Long ago I suffered some very badly broken bones. They were at risk of not healing. I was given "bone meal", and I believe helped. I wish that someone had also recognized the depression which also resulted (indirectly from the circumstances surrounding the accident and the lack of physical activity that was a consequence of the injuries).

I believe there is a mind body connection that is quite powerful in relation to healing. PM me if you are interested and I will send you some links.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Algorithm.

With regard to having pain ? you say you are not going to take pain relief , have you been prescribed for it ? well common sense should prevail regarding this , I understand why you made the statement , but there is a big big difference in needing them . though not wanting them . You may feel they are mind altering or are a substitute for alcohol ? if your pain is severe its very foolish to dismiss or refuse pain relief , you would be doing so for the wrong reason . If you had a child suffering great pain , would you make a decision not to give them pain relief . They will help any pain, and when the pain goes away then you will no longer need them . Problems occur if you continue to take them because you ''want '' them but do not ''need them '' take care .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 10-05-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds rough man. I'm sorry.

I'm wishing you the best for the best possible outcome Algorithm

D
Old 10-05-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugh. I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope you continue to remember that drinking will just aggravate this situation and add yet another trouble to your mind. Sending you positive thoughts
Old 10-05-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Bad days are bad days. I can relate. I had about two and a half years of them during my daughters battle with cancer, eventual death, and crushing grief. For more days than I can count I only had one goal and that was make it through the day sober.

Today things are some better but I have never regretted not drinking. Rejoice in this day the Lord has made and be happy is a verse that kept me going .

A bad day does not a lifetime make
Old 10-05-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing with us, Algorithm. Sorry for your painful situation. I think the fact that you are coping with so much pain without pain meds or alcohol is a victory worthy of being proud of. I hope you feel well soon.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

So sorry to hear of your situation, hope today is at least a little better.

A thought that occurred to me re circulation , during the summer Olympic games a lot of the athletes had odd markings and the commentators mentioned that they were using an alternative therapy of' cupping'(?) , I assume it had something to do with increasing blood flow to specific areas of the body.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone.

Regarding drinking, I ran across this article while doing some research. I know this probably won't deter most people, but alcohol can destroy you the hard way, from the inside out. I wonder how many people drank far more than this gentleman and dodged a bullet.

As the party season begins, the cautionary tale of a man whose bones were so weakened by alcohol he needed a new hip - at just 33.

Having gone to the operating table and back, made all the pirate jokes and popped the painkillers, I can still remember how crippled AVN left me - and all because I liked a glass (or bottle) too many of wine. I have no wish to repeat the experience.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

HI algorithm, for what its worth, I had a friend who recently had an ankle fusion. he was actually thrilled with the results. He is finally pain free. He does have some limited mobility, but it was completely worth it.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello Algorithm, I'm glad to hear you survived the accident!

I too sustained fractures last year, hand and ankle. I was advised that I had an extremely poor blood supply to one of the major bones in my dominant hand and the prognosis wasn't good. I asked the orthopod for advice to enable me to improve the prognosis, nutritional etc,. None received, save for increasing standard multi-vit's and minerals, to include calcium and magnesium.

Consequently, I read Dr. Google and discovered some research papers which established that the enormous demands on the body of the healing bones, required an increase in specific vitamins, minerals etc. I printed the material and ran it past the orthopod I met at the next appointment. He fully endorsed the regime I discovered and was surprised that the previous orthopod didn't recommend a similar supplement regime. Poor blood supply can be improved! Perhaps you could consult another orthopod?
Old 10-05-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I understand your aversion to pain meds, especially if they are opioids. However, constant pain disrupts your stress hormones and generally messes with your whole body, including brain, and can prove to be a barrier to physical recovery.

Please consider availing yourself of relief that is provided by your doctor. Your awareness of the risks and high level of self awareness makes this a reasonable avenue to investigate.

Hoping for a good outcome here, Algo. Best to you.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I won't encourage you to take the pain medication, but I would advise you to be careful if you are in pain. Long term pain can easily lead to depression, so talk to your dr about alternatives if you are in pain. It would be great if you could walk on your ankle because weight-bearing exercise can be helpful for osteoporosis if your dr agrees.

I'm really sorry that you're going through this.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mr

Stay strong..
Old 10-05-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh man, Algo. I really feel for ya! Talk about having several things to worry about at the same time!!

So, what to do while you are 'waiting'? That's tough and it sounds like you are used to being active, on your feet, holding down a job. It can be so frustrating when you cannot do what you want to do. And, it can lead to depression.

I'm glad you don't want to drink. As to pain meds: If you are in pain and you're taking the pain meds for the pain, you are not taking them to get high and therin lies the difference. Something to think about.

I had to have knee surgery once when I was pregnant and the only thing I could take for pain at the time was Tylenol because I didn't want my baby to get any narcs. I could not take any anti-flammatory because it could decrease amniotic fluid. It was a really tough time and I became depressed, I think partly because I was in a lot of pain. Partly because I was out of work, pregnant and on crutches and couldn't really take care of my toddler either cuz he was running around all over the place. I was worried about several things at once!

Anyway, I just remember telling myself I could only do what I could do and I just needed to trust in my higher power and I started praying that I was turning it all over to my HP and that really helped me a lot.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So I started physical therapy today, but with no weight bearing. They estimated three months to get motion back in the ankle. They told me it would be painful, and they weren't kidding. It is necessary, though, otherwise, even once healed, it won't be very usable. A nice preview of what's in store, and it does give me a feeling that something is moving along.

I have another follow-up in two weeks, to see if the blood flow has improved in the bone itself. It had better improve, because losing ankle motion is not an option, nor is going through months of deliberate pain only to lose it anyway. Just not an option. I can't deal with that on top of the other injuries.

I know others are hurting on here as well, some possibly more, but for anyone out there taking their health for granted as a commodity to be cashed in for booze or drugs, please think about your future. Damage from the past can catch up with you eventually.