Notices

Stay sober weekend thread 5/2-5/4

Old 05-02-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cool Stay sober weekend thread 5/2-5/4

A little late starting us off but here we are!

Get it in your head now that today is a sober day. This weekend is a sober weekend.

Let's make this weekends thread a gratitude thread. I find I need reminding of what I have today as I make the free will choices to not drink.

For me it's never been about what I have. I gave it all away as a drunk. It's always been about how I feel. So having a nice place to live... And I do... Is great. Feeling like I want to be there is better! Being here sober is the best!

Share if you feel like it. Maybe say what makes you feel good this weekend.

If you are down or don't feel good or have been drinking and you have a case of guilt and shame then we want to hear from you.

We are not on this site because everything has always gone well for us. We share a common bond of hope and recovery.

And that is certainly something to be grateful for!

Ken
Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm thankful for the 15-minute editing feature on SR!

Happy weekend all!

Gonna be moving stuff into the new shed this weekend. Then expanding my workshop into the newly freed up space.

So excited for the weekend. Work has been drudgery this week. Time to recharge!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Non! That's funny but as I mentioned on your thread thanks for seeing I was late and chose to start us off.

How about next weekend you take the lead!

I want pictures of the finished shed.

Spring has not exactly sprung in Maine yet. The leaves just might make it out this weekend I hope. Still bare trees!

K
Old 05-02-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

I'm in. Not entirely sure yet what the weekend has in store for me yet. I started reading volume three of Stephen Kings The Dark Tower last night and forgot how much I loved those books, ended up staying up way later than I intended reading, oops.

Hopefully we get some decent weather, tomorrow probably gonna spend time with my girlfriend, help her prepare to move flat and have something delicious to eat.

I know I won't be drinking though
Old 05-02-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Count me in for a sober weekend. First in a while
Old 05-02-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Morning Sober Weekenders,

Getting rightly down my first coffee as always!! . . . had a great sleep last night, feeling fresh, I can feel today at work is going to fly by, somehow when I was hungover the working day used to take an age to pass!!

This weekend Monday is a public holiday so that makes for a long weekend, seven though I'm still working tomorrow morning.

Anyone else watching the Snooker World Championships? the final is on Sunday and Monday, I know loads of people on the other side of the Atlantic aren't aware of what snooker is, but just think pool with a bigger table and a lot more balls to pot, and final is over 35 frames which is why it takes 2 days.

Anyways, let's make it a Sober one whatever we're getting up to, as Ken said, if your winning post, if your struggling reach out and post, and if you slip post and go at it again!!

Let's do this!!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello
I'm in, sober

First weekend without alcohol here (5th day sober).. I have small fears "can I do it"
But it will be ok. Looking forward to orange juice tonight and some online gaming

Have the best weekend all
Old 05-02-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good morning sober weekenders! Glad today is Friday and I'm looking forward to relaxing, catching a few craft shows, and visiting my parents who just returned from out of the country. My son got accepted in to a college program that he will be attending for his senior year of high school so I feel like a weight is off my shoulders!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Makrellen and MrG... You are in the right spot then to stay sober for the weekend. Especially if it's a first in a while. Check in often! You can do this!

TrobledJoe... I love Stephen King too! He lives not far from me here in Maine.

Always good to see the Soberclover! Hope you are well!

K
Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

On board and ready to roll. I have a number of things to do this weekend, and drinking isn't one of them. I am however going to bed around 830 tonight.... I just love to sleep! But sat and Sunday are loaded with things for me to do! I'll be checking in! Happy sober weekend!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Nons and Ken, funny! I am so glad you both thought to start the thread because it makes it twice the fun. Thank you both and I hope you both have good weekend.

Here in the future (as my March 2013 classmates call Australian time) it's Friday night, the weekend has started and it's going to be our first really cold one of autumn. Well...it won't snow, there won't be frost but it will be really cold to me -- a wussy Australian.

We had pizza with friends tonight, they had beers with theirs and I had a chinotto then rewarded myself with mango gelato.

ETA On gratitude: I'm particularly grateful for being able to enjoy my sobriety instead of thinking it could be a drag.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I'm in and grateful for so much right now. The garden that my daughter and I talked about for years is finally in place and we have work to do on that. We have to get some mulch and a few more plants for the raised beds. I love working outside and spent too many years inside because of my drinking that would lead to lack of motivation. Happy sober weekend to all!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
This weekend Monday is a public holiday so that makes for a long weekend, seven though I'm still working tomorrow morning.

Anyone else watching the Snooker World Championships?
Hey purpleknight! This weekend nine years ago I landed in Dublin on this very long weekend (on the Monday), what a gorgeous country you live in. The Snooker isn't on free-to-air TV here but I saw the blokes on the news -- aren't they fit and athletic compared to the guys in the old days.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
TrobledJoe... I love Stephen King too! He lives not far from me here in Maine.
He's done quite well for a hopeless alcoholic, eh?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, everybody. I'm in. This afternoon I am driving to the mountains with a depressed friend for a mini-retreat. Our first order of business will be to stop for dinner at a really cool French restaurant. Really exquisite food with a bunch of little goodies served between courses. Last time I went, I had a pang of longing as I saw the three different-sized glasses on the table--but as soon as I told them i didn't drink wine, they cleared them away and the pang went away. My friend doesn't drink, either, so it will be an evening totally dedicated to the savoring of fabulous food! Then a movie when we get back to the house.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend. Work today. I am grateful that I can call anyone or answer the phone and not worry that I sound drunk. I called a mom yesterday to RSVP on my daughters behalf for a birthday party and based on my expert opinion the mom was definitely intoxicated. The tone. The sensed struggle not to slur and to be coherent. Been there, done that. It was nine p.m. on a school night. But not me last night. And I'm grateful.

Have a happy day! I will see the bright side on this not so bright and not so spring like day.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders. I'm in for sober this weekend as well. Have plans to take my dog (and my mom's) in on Saturday for nail clipping and while the dogs are at the groomers, we are off to do some shopping.

Sunday is dinner with the family in the evening and in between, yard work and sneaking over to my neighbors house to check on the vegetable garden we are sharing together. Grow little seedlings!

The weather is supposed to warm up this weekend (in the 70s) and I am grateful for lovely spring days when I can be outside, soaking in the sun, sober and feeling good being in nature.

Joe, I too am a Stephen King fan, although I couldn't seem to get into the Dark Tower series. I have read all his other books however and I collect them as well. Stephen indeed did pretty well for himself, as someone else said, for being a hopeless drunk. Love Stephen King and I am looking forward to getting his new book coming out in June. "Mercedes" I think it is?

Cheers (with my glass of iced tea here) to all in staying sober this weekend. There are so many things to be grateful for when we are sober!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'm in for the weekend.
Hope everyone has a great day and a better weekend.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Waited until the weekend to share this...

Earlier this week (Tues? Wed?) I dreamed that I went on a blackout bender and woke up on Camp Lemonnier in Djibouti (in east Africa). I spent 2 years there previously, and it is not a fun place to live - although I did like the work.

In my dream I came to in a CLU (containerized living unit) and had naught with me but the clothes on my back. My boots were on the dirt road out front, and had been run over numerous times and were unuasable.

Do drunk dreams mean anything, or is it just mental mumbo jumbo?

(Djibouti CLUs)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clu.jpg (23.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I'm in Weasel, rootin for everyone.