Notices

Stay sober weekend thread 5/2-5/4

Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Ready for a sober weekend. Heading to the gym this morning, little league with the kids tomorrow, housework on Sunday. Typical stuff. But right now, I like being typical. Life is good.
Stay sober, friends. If you are grinding through a tough one, hang in there. You'll get through it, and it gets better. Shoot, for all I know I'll find myself having a tough moment, but I I declare here and now that I will fight if I need to.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank You Ken!

Grateful for 18 days of sobriety - In here for a sober week-end
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Reporting in for a sober weekend!

Grateful for my health, my beautiful son, my puppy... and my SR friends of course!

I'm going for the no plan, plan. Just do what I feel like in the spur of the moment. except drinking of course!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Thank you for this Ken. I'm feeling like I need accountability this weekend.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to convalesce quietly and gently after major surgery. I'm starting to get restless and a bit stir crazy. I'm thankful I can go for short walks and that I have good wholesome nutritious food to help me heal. I'm thankful I have an amazing staff that is totally pulling it together at work in my extended absence. And I'm thankful for naps.

I'm thankful for SR.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

This is my 5th day off the juice which means this is my first weekend sober in I can't remember how many years (and it's a three day w/e) - there are lot's of jobs to do around the house mind, so perhaps come Monday the kitchen might be usable again.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Count me in. No plans for the weekend. Just going to see what's happening around here and decide.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

good day to you all

I woke this morning with a pounding head , a mouth that tasted like how dog breath smells , my head was spinning , my eyes were sore and itchy , my body aches , i have hot flushes and cold sweats …

Yupp … i've got a man cold .. It reminded me of when i used to wake up like that every morning due to drinking . I am grateful for the reminder the cold has given me .

Yesterday i drove to a new town i'm thinking of living in , walked along the beach , looked in the windows of the vacant houses for sale .

Take care , m
Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Originally Posted by Gibbons2 View Post
Joe, I too am a Stephen King fan, although I couldn't seem to get into the Dark Tower series. I have read all his other books however and I collect them as well. Stephen indeed did pretty well for himself, as someone else said, for being a hopeless drunk. Love Stephen King and I am looking forward to getting his new book coming out in June. "Mercedes" I think it is?
I've actually read very few of his books other than Dark Tower series. I haven't even read The Stand or The Shining. I've never been one to do things traditionally though. I just picked up The Gunslinger one day and was hooked. I'm a big LOTR fan so I think the obvious influence of that is what initially captured my interest. I go through phases of reading tons of books so I'm planning on buying a few more of his novels soon.

Anyway, ended up going out for a nice ride with my Dad on his motorbike today. Wasn't the nicest day ever but it stayed dry and there was tons of great scenery. This is a picture of Loch Fyne from today, taken from Front Street in Inverary where we stopped for a cup of coffee.

image.jpg
Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm also in for a spectacularly sober weekend, this will be my second!

I love Scotland, thank you for the photo Troubledjoe, brings back very happy memories.

This weekend I'm meeting up with an old friend, doing some shopping and sowing some runner bean seeds in the garden.

I'm feeling grateful that our hot water boiler was fixed today and I can have a lovely hot bath.

Have a great sober weekend everyone.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
good day to you all

I woke this morning with a pounding head , a mouth that tasted like how dog breath smells , my head was spinning , my eyes were sore and itchy , my body aches , i have hot flushes and cold sweats …

Yupp … i've got a man cold .. It reminded me of when i used to wake up like that every morning due to drinking . I am grateful for the reminder the cold has given me .

Yesterday i drove to a new town i'm thinking of living in , walked along the beach , looked in the windows of the vacant houses for sale .

Take care , m
Yikes that sounded brutally smelly. LOL!

Hope your cold goes away!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It's.. different, to not be halfdrunk by now as usual
Old 05-02-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thread is heating up! For everyone who is facing a first Friday sober hang inthere. The werkend gets easier if u just get past Friday. Come here early and often. I am on train into office. I will put in face time and head home. I will pick up my daughter from the birthday party and then I am going to a meeting. Glad it is Friday.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

My getaway got postponed till next weekend, so I will just hang around and study for my class instead.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

That's a great photo! Thanks!

M... Sorry to hear about that man cold! Get better soon my friend!

Makrellen.... Yes! The first month or so the feeling of being sober at drunk time was intense. Going out of the house after 4 pm or even driving while dark was so strange. I am was an early drinker so I never saw 6pm for many months.

Welcome everyone! New and not so new folks!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Soooo looking forward to my first Sober Weekend in years! Friday nights were always excuse to go overboard...Saturdays always reserved for a day of miserable guilt and sickness...and Sundays to start the cycle over again.
Excited to actually be present and enjoy the sunshine! Grateful for these moments and every breath I take...more so without the stench of booze :-)
Have a wonderful weekend ya'll!!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
To be content

Grateful for no endless beer cans to pick up this weekend. It's funny how so many beers can be drank, but no way could I fit 8-12 fizzy waters. No liquor spillage to clean up off the counter, no checking of the liquor bottle in the morning to see the damage done, and no feeling of doom all weekend. I will be planting my succulents, grad project, movie with a friend, and SO time on Sunday. I have a good feeling about this weekend, and wish everyone a happy sober weekend too! We can do this!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Settling in for bedtime here on Friday night. Feels good to be sober. I will not drink tonight no matter what!

Tomorrow WILL be my day 4
Old 05-02-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Compass7 View Post
Grateful for no endless beer cans to pick up this weekend!
Yes! This is always one of the things that gets me down most after a binge. I will literally fill a binbag to the top with empties and then try and sneak it out to the recycling bin, clanking like the bloody tin man.

So glad I'm not doing that tonight.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Count me in!

Joe, I recently finished the Dark Tower series...pretty much the best series I've ever read, next to Harry Potter. My avatar is DT themed

As for gratitude, I've got a bit here to get things rolling...

Job opportunities. I'm in the middle of the interview process for a technical writer job that pays well, seems right down my alley, and is close to home.

My house.

The fact that my spouse is also sober.

A new AA meeting this weekend, and it's a bonfire meeting whic should be interesting!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post

A new AA meeting this weekend, and it's a bonfire meeting whic should be interesting!
A bonfire meeting sounds like fun!