Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group Part 2

Carry on the good work guys:

continued from here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-group-21.html

D
Old 10-31-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Thanks.... starting anew, I am looking forward to seeing everyone here again at the end of the month with x+30 days.

Who's in?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is my third sober day in a row.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread, mcluhan

D
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Morning, all.... I'm in! Beginning of Day 8 for me. Short time, but it feels great. Just checking in here before heading off to work. Hope to see everybody from last month, and more newcomers as well, back on this thread.

Thanks, everybody, for your support, and have a nice, sober day.

"May you live all the days of your life."
~ Jonathan Swift
Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi All,
thanks for making me feel so welcome here, great comfort can be found in like minded people, especially when u feel like u've been out on the edge alone for such a long time. I have a feeling that myself and my family may end up oweing a lot to you guys when all is said and done. while i know whole heartedly that i am better off sober and should not ever drink again i still find myself asking those pathetic questions on a daily basis about why i cant just drink like others? why life is the way it is? why we do what we do? how did i get here? all very very frustrating stuff. I feel like i have lost control over so much of my life and still am trying to figure out the whole "chicken and the egg" thing about which came first? the problems that led to the drinking or the drinking that created the problems? a little of both i suspect. its so hard to be working so hard at not drinking and still have to face so much pain everyday because of bad decisions that were made by myself and others while i was drunk. Thanks everyone for all the insight and encouragement i find in your posts here. it really makes me feel less alone.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Isaiah -- Where are you???
Old 11-01-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm here.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Coming towards the end of day 7 for me and my first day back at work. Feeling good.

Deecelt - I read your 'controversial' post more as an expression of your determination than a pop at anybody on SR. I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth, that's just how I read it. For me this site has a social element to it. I have people who I can chat with in real life about my problems, but I don't have hundreds of people who can relate to them in the way that I have found here. That's not to say I want to be patted on the head and told 'there, there', just that I have found people here more likely to relate to how I feel at this time in my life. I've taken a lot from the support that I have received from people here and I hope to give it back as I continue to recover.
I'm definitely in for day 36 at the end of this month

Keep strong, everyone !
Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alldoneagain: I wouldn't bother with the 'why can't I drink like other people?' question. The reason doesn't matter, the fact you can't does. And ur not alone
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you can drive yourself mad with those questions alldoneagain - I know I did LOL
When I was new here someone said to me all you have to do is stay sober - you'll be amazed at what falls into place after that - and I'm pleased to say they were right

Keep it simple for now
D
Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Evening, all. Closing Day 8 with a clear and sober head ;-) Getting late here, but I just wanted to log-on to end my day with my mind in the right place, and to remind me of where I was 9 days ago. Thanks, everybody.

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains,
and we never even know we have the key."

~ The Eagles, Already Gone
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Wow... I missed a lot of posts yesterday! Pretty cool that we're starting a 'part 2'!

Today is day 26. I had my first 'drinking dream' last night. It was sooo real -- but soooooo glad it wasn't. I even dreamed that it was going be hard to get back on SR and tell everyone!

Anyway, welcome GreenAcres and Mcluhan! Commendable to stop on a weekend Mcluhan! I stopped on a Thursday - sort of gave myself a little head-start.... and it was our anniversary - so it made it just a little more special.

Congrats on 8 days Mick!

Alldoneagain, trying to figure it all out is very time-consuming and I've found it's not very rewarding... I'm pretty analytical and I decided that I just plain old can't drink. I don't care why or how or what if or any of that. Today, I'm sober. That's enough for me. If I entertain those questions, I'll drive myself back to drink - because I'll start thinking I'm strong enough to have 'just one or two'. And maybe I would.... that day.... but the next day or the day after that or maybe even several days after that, I'd be swimming in it. It's not my friend, period.
That being said, I read Under the Influence and while I didn't agree with everything in there, it did explain a lot about alcoholism and our attraction to it.

Anyway,

Have a wonderful night (or day) everyone!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is a MUST READ:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html
Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Morning, all. Starting Day 9 off on the right foot ;-)

Really4Real - You said it all --- "It' s not my friend, period." Thanks for that.

tjp - I'm off to work, but I promise to read the link you recommended this evening. Hope you're doing well.

Thanks, everybody. Have a pleasant and sober day.

(P.S. It's 0530 here on the east coast of the U.S. Just let the dogs out and there is an incredible, awesome crescent moon hanging low in the sky. Anybody anywhere else in the world see that when you woke up/went to bed? Wow! That is a great way to start a day, seeing something like that ;-)

"If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and adore."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 11-02-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds great Mick - have a great day everyone

D
Old 11-02-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good morning all --

Hope you don't mind a little whining this morning, but my daughter's bi=polar is raging and we're heading to the hospital later on. We just can't seem to get her stabilized. Unlike last time (couple of weeks ago) drinking is the very LAST thing I want to do.

I'm really frightened for her -- school is now slipping out of control, her dad (my ex) is gonna freak because he thinks psychiatry is a load of bull (and he is 75% of the problem to begin with), and I feel so alone in this fight to keep her alive.

Please, please pray for us.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers and best wishes for you and your daughter tjp

D
Old 11-02-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dismember

Beaten up, but still here, still in the class. Had problems with my internet and my sobriety over the weekend. Spent yesterday lying in bed with horrible depression, asking myself how it happened (literally, I'm not sure how I got the alcohol.)

I'm a little better today but still not thinking clearly. I want to go get cigarettes, but I'm worried just to leave the house.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

((((Isaiah))))) I'm so sorry Why are you afraid to leave the house? Is there someone you can call to be with you? A counselor or doctor that can help you?