Notices

Part 2 - Horselover's 10 nightly gratitude items.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Part 2 - Horselover's 10 nightly gratitude items.

part one here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-items-20.html

Was nudged by our dear friend Carol to start a new Part 2 version and so here we go. On my way to bed and already posted my gratitude, BUT am very grateful for this place that I can feel at home at and our wonderful mods that keep it running.

This is the idea though if you didn't get in or see the first one. Copied from the first post -

"Starting a new habit. Something I read said you should try to find 10 things to be grateful for before going to bed. Helps sleep and overall health and so here goes. If anyone wants to join in please feel free."

Last edited by Dee74; 10-21-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added part one link
Old 10-15-2010, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good for you S on part two,

and the gratitude does keep flowing...

a grateful drunk,

will never drink again...
Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Grateful for this thread HL.... helps keep me in the loop
Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope anyone will feel free to copy some of the best highlights from Part 1 to Part 2.

but just in case...RULE #62!

i am grateful that enough are interested to keep this thread active.

it is one of the most important parts of the day for me....truly it helps me.

thanks for the great idea and sharing.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Fandy because you are a HUGE part of this thread.

I am grateful this Friday for -

1. Barbecue chicken that husband is doing for dinner. Smells so good!!!

2. Awareness and compassion in today's world.

3. My son and husband.

4. A full life.

5. Mom's birthday tomorrow. She turns 70 years old and she's not happy about it. I'm happy about it though.

6. Motorcycle run on Sunday to benefit the rescue.

7. Fieldtrip with son on Tuesday.

8. Having a life outside of drinking. Don't know how I found the time to drink every night and function in life. Oh yeah! Didn't!

9. People that stand up for what is right despite what people might think. New hero is City Councilman Joel Burns. Google him and teen suicides and you'll see why.

10. Being sober. Having a sober weekend ahead. Loving sobriety and the freedom that comes with it.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Friday grats are shortend becasue i am exhausted from the week.

grateful to have gotten through the week, work was hard.

grateful i have patience, because many things keep coming to the surface and i want to address them but know it is something i cannot control.

grateful for thedog and kitties who love me.

back later i am sooo tired and hungry.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Saturday gratitude for:

1. Getting a lot of catch up work done at the office so now I don't feel light years behind (just months behind)

2. Crock pot meals - making a yummy beef stew (I came late to the crock pot thing, don't know how I missed it)

3. Joel Burns, the Ft. Worth City Councilman - you are so right HL and thanks for telling us about him. There is a great video on the NPR homepage of him telling his own story.

4. Not caving in to someone's trying to persuade me to do something I don't want to do. What part of N-O does he not understand???

5. A perfect fall day - took two doggy walks, met lots of other dogs and people, including lots of kids who loved my dog up a lot - she had a great time and I did too.

6. Not feeling any desire to drink. I get fleeting thoughts every once in a while but nothing I can't handle - what a relief.

7. Feeling healthy, losing some lbs, getting more exercise.

8. Having the opportunity to do a "random act of kindness" today and it really is true that it feels better to give than to receive

9. Spending the evening being lazy - might do some laundry but mostly just chilling out doing whatever I feel like - ah....

10. Geese flying overhead in formation, squawking up a storm - so beautiful.

11. SR and all the good folks here

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend, grat packers
Old 10-17-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sorry I have been remiss last evening...back tonight....off to work and the am grats thread.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sunday night grats:

1. I am very grateful to have the opportunity to keep making extra $$...it's a little tiring, but I am trying to look at the bright side of this, there is some important reason i am destined to do this and it won't be forever....I am NOT squandering the extra $$, I am being a good squirrel...and if i don't have an exciting social life, it's a good substitute for my head.

2. grateful the day was productive and my depression took a hike.

3. grateful for my loving little pets...they appreciate me.

4. grateful for being tired and sleeping well every night (maybe because i am NOT worried about $$ issues)?

5. Rule #62 of course

6. grateful for quick healthy meals and some relaxing TV and magazines, it's enough to occupy my free time without stressing me out.

7. grateful for keeping a clean house and peaceful sancutary to come home to.

8. grateful for taking the high road and thinking less about being so angry....it's not me. i'm NOT anyone's doormat and i don't have to be a saint, but i can just not care if i try. sooner or later it really won't matter.

9. grateful to be ME, not anyone else.

10. grateful I have physical strength and mental strength.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

why of course!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
it is what it is

hope ya'll don't mind me dropping in every weekend - my weeks get so full and i get so tired - hopefully things will slow down a bit soon - i have been going through a down period - i still feel so grateful for all the blessings in my life and even the not so blessings but getting my feet back under me is not coming easily this time -
1. the love of God
2. friends who stick closer than a brother
3. my brother and his wife
4. my dad
5. my children and grandchildren
6. my church family
7. opportunities which will allow me a more comfortable home life
8. my velcro dogs (i never have to feel alone)
9. my horses
10. the ability to fix things sometimes and not always having to call a repairman!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((litehorse))

Glad to see you anytime you can get here!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As Sneezy said, you are welcome here ANYtime you can make it Litehorse and I loved the velcro dogs. My dogs are velcro too. LOL!

Grateful this Monday (starting early because I missed over the weekend) for -

1. A busy and productive weekend. Raised over $1000 for the donkey shelter this past weekend. Now that is a good day! 1st Annual "Bikers for Burros" was a roaring success.

2. My mom and her being born a few years back. VERY GRATEFUL FOR THAT!!! Today is her birthday!!

3. An awesome school Principal!! We love him - both son and I.

4. That Sneezy got the opportunity to look up the man I was referring to. He is a gift, huh? I would vote for him if I lived there. Just contacted our principal regarding bullying protocol and he took some of my suggestions for implementing a program to recognize it and conquer it. Very grateful to him.

5. My 2 loving dogs that are glad I'm home and not running around like this weekend. I wasn't home at all.

6. Getting some laundry done.

7. My beautiful son and lovely husband.

8. A day to rest before the school field trip tomorrow.

9. Being able to cut off the gift giving this Christmas and having no resentment because of it. Have narrowed down the gifts to just our son. Husband hasn't had even a cost of living raise in 3 years and so things are tighter then you can imagine, but at least he has a job.

10. Nice weather today and being sober!!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

back tonight, work is whupping me every day, much stress....and I too have not had a raise in 4 years....sheesh. i think i am working without a new union contract, i should check on that.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Grateful for -

1. Being able to get through the school field trip and not pass out from exhaustion. Had 3 7 year old boys assigned to me and they ran circles around me.

2. Not being "too" hurt that son chose not to sit with his Mom either there or on the way back.

3. Having coffee and being able to contemplate making a birthday party tonight. Didn't think I would have the energy, but I just need to show up.

4. My husband and son.

5. My velcro dogs. I love that LH if you couldn't tell.

6. Having only 1 thing going on tomorrow and that's a parent-teacher conference at 8 am. I can do that.

7. Being healthy.

8. Being sober.

9. Being productive.

10. Learning something new today. Stingrays and sharks are slimy. They have an exhibit where you can pet them. Eeeewww, but cool too.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tuesday grats:

1. Pansies. It's hard to kill pansies so they're perfect for me.

2. Another beautiful fall day, picture perfect. Gonna remember this is in the middle of February.

3. My old friends who love me warts and all - priceless

4. The pleasure of reading. I love to lose myself in a good book and it's free!

5. My family and the love we have for each other (even when we get on each others' nerves )

6. Learning that most of the time, it's really best to say nothing if I don't know what to say. Learning that has saved me a lot of grief this year.

7. The blessing of sobriety and how much it has changed me and my life for the better.

8. The joy on the face of one of my neighbors who is a father for the first time.

9. Goofy silly dog who makes me laugh every day. I think it was her snoring that woke me up last night!

10. God's love and care for the world.

11. SR and the caring funny folks here

Have a good night everyone
Old 10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had to go back and re-read Horselover's grat...because I thought she was grateful for being REPRODUCTIVE....(i am tired):rotfxko

grateful for my evening meeting with my medical students surgery interest group...I had 45 attendants! either it is my exciting surgery program or the pizza and cookies?

Surgery is one of the medical specialties where you can have a good lifestyle and not be screaming for $$$...insurance pays more, salaries are much higher.

grateful that I am really good at what I do....i take all the med students under my wing and am their go-to person, the liason between faculty and the big help to get them started....I write great personal statements, listen to problems, look at pics. and help pull them through the tough times. I didn't do this so well when i was drinking heavily and for that i am mightily sorry.

grateful I have some self-pride back...which will lead to a better outlook and life for ME.

grateful that I realize I have to put me first...which is something I never do.

grateful that I have been formulating an *action* plan for improving both my body and mind...waiting for my vacation time next week.

grateful that I am no longer *afraid* to take vacation time...because i will not spend it drinking and laying in bed full of dread.

grateful for physical stamina, strength and a strong will to succeed.

grateful to my good friends that are vascular surgeons....and the fact that they make Mr. Fandy from the past (who is a cardiologist and direct competition) quite jealous...at this point my ego needs a little boosting, it is harmless.

grateful for my patient little dog...who understands that mommy has to bring home the bacon....(i live close to my job so i drove home and walked him as I was working until 730PM).

grateful for hourly union wages and overtime.....even though i have not had a raise since 2007, I still am surviving better than most.

good night grat-pack..i am tired....I still have 3 rounds of exams this week and huge scheduling issues....scheduling surgeons is like herding cats.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

tonight i am just grateful that there is no booze in the house.

i think that the planets are out of alignment...because i have had a gawdawful day and i suppose i should be grateful i did not leap out and beat the stuffing out of someone who continually harrassed me.

my HP today is the one doc. i work for....she will deal with the self-important bullies.

I guess i should be grateful that my anuersym id not explode in my head because i am still here....i will take some valarian to clam down with the tea.

i cannot find a way to be grateful for all the flipping selfish rude jackasses i work with, sorry.

maybe tomorrow will be better

i am just grateful to have gotten through it....and that i am well paid.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I plan to print that out in living color!....thnx for interjecting humor.