Notices

Part 2 - Horselover's 10 nightly gratitude items.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

grateful that I know those moods too and they are just a part of life...(hugs S)....they will come and they will pass.....I try very hard to just let them have their "run" and have a couple of activities in place to work with so the moods don't take over my life.

if i obsess it becomes more than a mood.....much worse.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Thanks all and yes, the moods do pass thankfully. I'm a bit better today and ready to find that gratitude that is so important to our recovery, our souls, and our quality of life.

Today, Thursday, I am grateful for -

1. Pay day and being able to buy groceries. I hated the bill, but now that I have to eat fish, chicken, fresh fruit, veggies, lowfat cheeses, etc., we cannot eat as cheaply as we used to. A bowl of oatmeal for dinner is always an option, but I am limited to 4 yolks a week, which cuts out eggs for dinner.

2. Having a doctor that takes the time to really go over things thoroughly and does not rush through appointments. So important to me. Also the fact that she said I could still have Thanksgiving, Christmas, blah blah holiday food, but the majority of my days should be spent eating healthy.

3. Life continues and I do have my health and as I said before, this is another opportunity to better myself through looking at the consequences if I don't.

4. Getting my exercise in yesterday and today.

5. Husband having another telephone interview with another college and once again, it is between him and one other person. I don't like the deja vu feeling, but its all good. Its a chance and there's hope.

6. A beautiful sunny day today.

7. My family and friends.

8. My SR family.

9. God!!

10. Being sober! Being sober! Being sober! One less thing to worry about it.

11. Oh and being able to say I don't drink and I don't smoke. So far at 44 years of age I have given up smoking, drinking, and now - ICE CREAM!! The horror! Just kidding! Its all good. Love ya all!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I am very grateful this Thursday evening to try to put a different spin on things.

I am very fortunate...I no longer have to deal with big drama from my previous relationship.

I have peace, I have no one draining my finances and no one causing me extreme emotional upset and pain...no one making me physically ill. no reason to self-medicate with alcohol.

there is no one constantly handicapping the ponies for 10 different racetracks every day...and I do not have to listen to the wonders of the latest foolproof "system" that nets about $10.00 in winnings...

I am grateful for peace of mind and the ability to heal. my time is my own, i do not have to be a maid, laundress or cook....

i am grateful to see myself as a success and I am grateful to stop just feeling bad about myself.

I am grateful that I think i may be ready for future fun in life.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

fands,

live it up hon!

your already having fun in your new sober life
Old 11-05-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
fands,

live it up hon!

your already having fun in your new sober life
And you already bring lots of fun to the grat pack too
Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

It looks pretty good on paper.....but sometimes it is hard to bring home....I really invested myself in the relationship. it is difficult to accept that I was "hoodwinked" and since I am not a codie or a maschocist why do i even CARE?....I'm angry at myself that I still miss Mr. Fandy and believe that somewhere inside of his pointed little degenerate gambler brain is the REAL person he once was.

He isn't a "bad" person, but he is very selfish and completely in denial....even more so than I was about my drinking....truthfully I never drank to the point I did until i could not see any hope for the relationship....yeah, no one poured it down my throat but me, but it was my reaction to lack of support...and lets throw in the menopause whammy and my mother's dementia.

no matter, stuff happens...bad stuff happens to good people all the time...i refuse to lay down and die about it. I have picked myself up, gained back some self-respect and will try a better road.

I am having one of my "moods" this morning....it is friday, rainy and dark...getting up at 5:15AM is no fun.

hoping the coffee and grats will turn me around for the day.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

grat-pack friday grats...starting early....

1. grateful that YES, I turned my mood around and the sun came out.
2, much to be grateful for including sobriety, rule #62 of course and determined to survive.
3. grateful for peace of mind....and taking myself out of my shell....my glass is 1/2 full and can only get more full.
4. grateful for realizing that my life is what I make of it.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Grateful for -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ME2uk-wVeA&NR=1

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

wow...how cool is seeing all the things people are grateful for and about!
For me...
  1. my lovely wife
  2. my beautiful children
  3. my health
  4. realizing I am powerless over my addictions
  5. my job
  6. my health
  7. life
  8. living
  9. being sober
  10. learning patience
  11. understanding I do not have to be perfect
  12. understanding I don't need others to be happy
  13. being here
Old 11-05-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

ah yes, i no longer strive to be perfect, i am a work in progress...i practice being better every day....i am moving forward, not backward.

I am grateful that I hav e much to look forward to....starting with a wonderful rest in my wonderful bed (tempur-pedic rocks)....a great AM with fresh coffee, toast, fruit or whatever I want for breakfast...the fridge is full and i can certainly bake a bit! I have cinnabon coffee cake mix!

a day of fun....a bit of cleaning and then relaxing...I do deserve to treat myself well...I work 6 days a week...hoping for dry weather to take a nice long dog-walk....like i said, all things are possible when not tethered to a wine bottle.

I am grateful for choosing to live instead of just exist.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

welcome to the family nula
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful for:

a vehicle that runs decently

healthy kids and grandkids

healthy and happy dogs and cats

a loving supportive family

my wonderful vets and their staff

my own reasonably good health

a great neighborhood

two leaf rakers who will clean up my back yard tomorrow

money to pay my leaf rakers

my rent and bills are paid this month

have enough dog and cat food for the month

and grateful for a free bag of cat food at the grocery store!

Grateful that if my needs are met, my wants can wait.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

grateful for finally have the courage to face the Tanita full on this morning...(tanita is a brand of accurate digital scale)....grateful no one heard me screaming, cursing, gnashing of teeth.....

grateful to get my buttisimo in gear to correct the problem.

i am reading a book..."change your brain, change your body"....hmmm, we'll see what common sense can do....exercise, less sugar and portion control.

grateful I could watch Dangerous Midge and Zenyatta with pleasure and not be *angry*, because the race is exciting and the horses are magnificant just to watch...i'm not handicapping or betting, just enjoying as a spectator.

grateful for lots of sales at the grocery today on fresh veggies and healthy foods.

tonight it is veggie lasagna with lowfat cheeses and extra baby spinach and carrots.

grateful for exercise and a plan to improve my health (and weight, grrrr).

grateful for moderation in both body and mind....no wild swings today....that is good.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

in case i can't get here later....

grateful for patience and humor

grateful for Rule #62

grateful that I have maintained a certain sense of trust in something throughout the last year...

grateful for the ability to improve my mental outlook without anti-depressants.....so far so good.

grateful to rest later today and just unwind...i have more balance in my life these days when i remember to make my wellbeing a priority.

back later for more grats.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

paging the rest of the gratuitous Pack....???

grateful for sticking to my diet all day and not being tempted...the scale numbers and ill-fitting jeans are front and center in my head...I may just hang them on the fridge tonight...to really remind me!

grateful that my mother enjoyed the food I brought her....and I gently reminded her that my father died 30 years ago...she didn't believe me and I didn't push it...it is harmless for her to think he took her shopping yesterday....she's 91 i'm not going to argue with her.

grateful that I am following Rule #62...and not getting worked up.

grateful that I feel hope about being able to stick to my diet/healthier habits....30# is not a mountain, but i know it will take time and determination....i have broken it into little goals.

grateful to relax and have a nice dinner and watch some TV....it gets dark at 5PM it feels much later now...lol i will get used to it....but i long for nice long days as the summer had...at least it is not snowing!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I heard you and I am here and accounted for dear Fandy. Weekends are sometimes hard for me to log on.

I am grateful this Monday for -

1. A great weekend. Having bought and wrapped all son's birthday presents. Let the lego mania unfold.

2. Having time with husband while son enjoyed time with Grandma and Grandpa and neighborhood pals. Their neighborhood has kids and ours doesn't. He loves going there!

3. Beautiful weather which is to turn fall like tomorrow. Glad for the nice weather while we had it.

4. Getting laundry and ironing done today.

5. To be able to go to school and help out when asked. Its such a gift and I treasure it.

6. My animals which are ALL taking naps.

7. Son coming home in just 15 minutes. Let the snack time begin along with the homework.

8. Sticking pretty good to my new way of eating and living. I'm becoming so healthy I can't stand it! Ha! I should be healthier feeling then anytime in my life except maybe when I was my son's age. Pretty healthy back then. I'm in my second childhood I guess.

9. Being able to make the choice and thanks to my alcoholism, knowing it can be done with one step at a time. Speed is not an issue, but steady forward steps is the goal.

10. My lovely son and husband.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Very grateful for

1. You guys: You are my constants every day, fill me with hope, and make me laugh - thank you!

2. Having my job. Lots of budget cuts going on in my state this year, hard to know how much longer I'll have it, or if it's even in jeopardy. Scary, but so grateful to still be employed - so many people are not.

3. This beautiful fall weather - last night someone had a fire going, smelled so good when we went for our evening walk.

4. Homemade chicken soup - yum!

5. People who stand up for what is right. It's a really hard thing to do, lots of risk, but it is so important. I want to be one of those people.

6. Pet insurance - am getting some much needed money back! With vet care (and all health care) so high these days, this is a real help

7. I'll join you Fands on being very grateful for Rule 62. I can drive myself fairly crazy if I don't keep things in perspective. I'm kinda driving myself crazy right now but trying to get a hold on it.

8. My friend B who stops by for visits and always cheers me up just by being who he is. Wonderful guy.

9. God's love and care - being able to place my trust in his wisdom, while working hard and doing what I can.

10. God's forgiveness. And trying to learn to forgive myself and others in the same way I am forgiven. It's hard!

11. My sober life, which is such a gift!

Have a good evening, dear grat packers!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

well it's nice to have you guys back...i felt like i was talking to myself....(at least at home, the dog answers and always agrees with me).

Monday night grats:

hot lemon & blueberry herbal tea...perfect on a cold rainy night

grateful that I stuck to my diet plan today....i had one snack size almond joy at work...for medicinal purposes of course.....nothing stops stress like chocolate and coconut.

grateful for flameless candles that look so great and are so safe around the cats....i am famous for forgetting and leaving a candle burning....and there have been "tail-fires" in the past! batteries and built in timers rock.

grateful for stayin on track and keeping myself in line with portions....writing it down is very helpful because i can snack and not even know it! if you write it down, it has a calorie number.

grateful that i force myself to use the scale now.....(i think it was six months ago previously)....there is no reality like scale reality.

Rule #62....I am a work in progress!

grateful that I like to exercise...I forgot how much I liked it...I used to go to the gym or put in time on the treadmill every AM....it keeps my weight and BP down....and I can watch TV!!!! I allow myself to watch anything I want while I exercise, trashy stuff, infomercials, the shopping channels (where i bought the flameless candles,

grateful that I am associating exercise with sobriety....and treating it the same way...ODAAT...( i can obsess myself into a frenzy yaknow)!

grateful that I do not expect instant results....just knowing I am taking care of myself brings me closer to a goal...no pressures...i know they are detrimental to my mental well being.

grateful that I have an excellent job and security....at least for now....medical education is pretty rock solid.....and I am sober and on top of my game.

grateful I can come here and you all listen to me ramble...thanks very much!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

ramble on fands!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
2. Having my job. Lots of budget cuts going on in my state this year, hard to know how much longer I'll have it, or if it's even in jeopardy. Scary, but so grateful to still be employed - so many people are not.
Big hugs Sneeze.