Notices

Ending the use of Paxil

Old 03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ending the use of Paxil

Paxil has been a steady help in my life for several years; I use the CR at a medium dosage and have tried both lower and higher doses. As a recovered Alcoholic, my life has become what I never dreamed it would be otherwise. I have noticed the Paxil over the last six months seems to contribute to a lethargic and depressive mood so I am slowly decreasing my dosage to end its use.

I have used one form or another of the depression medications for over a decade and with over six years of sobriety; I do not feel the need to have a pill decide my mood anymore. Maybe more than anything is the thought, that I no longer need the medication because my mind was more influenced by the Alcoholism rather than classic mental illness; i.e. depression. I have spoken to my GP, who prescribes the Paxil and he is of the mind to wait and see how I will react. I am also aware of the denial process associated with mental illness. My wife has in a roundabout way stated that I will relapse and I would like to belay her fears, but not at the cost of being a robot for the rest of my life. Your experience in this regard would be most helpful.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Can't say I'm a real expert on this Ron, and have you consulted with your prescriber about tapering off and quitting?

I took Paxil for a short time in early recovery, but I was getting mixed info from several doctors, some said it was addictive while others felt it was perfectly safe. Either way, I ended up switching to EffexorXR and stayed on it for just over a year. Without it I couldn't sleep and my life was riddled with anxiety and panic attacks, most of them caused by fear, I didn't have a handle at all on my program at the time. My sponsor at the time didn't agree with me taking it, he felt that sobriety meant being clean from everything. My ex harped on me about always having to take some form of substance just to feel normal.

Seems like everything I took left me feeling just as you described, lethargic and depressive. But I can't imagine what my life would have been like without it. I read all the horror stories about what happened when people stopped taking AD's and SSRI's, so I made sure I was supervised. I tapered off easily, no side effects, and I'm happy to be free of anything that stimulates my mood, other than those things we practice as part of our program of course

I look forward to hearing more about your experience with this, and wish you the best. Please do it safely.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As long as you are tapering off under doctor's supervision, I'd say give it a try.

I was of the same mindset as you, where I wanted to give sobriety a go without the antidepressants. They were actually recommended to me at a year sober when I was in the psychiatric ward (long story) but I was pregnant and refused to put anything in my body.

This much I can tell you, even though I actively work the steps, have a sponsor, work with others, and do what the Big Book suggests, the maximum I have been able to go is three years and the end result has always been if I owned a gun, I would have stuck it in my mouth.

There is also a history of untreated clinical depression on both sides of my family, which has had tragic results with more than one family member.

I have come to accept I have a chemical imbalance that no amount of good quality AA, along with a loving God, is going to solve.

That has been my own personal experience.

:ghug :ghug
Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I was on paxil for a few years...unfortunately my experience with it was not a good one. It made me manic....I bought a new house, a new car, worked 3 jobs at the same time, it was insanity. But I was also drinking at the time.

Once I stopped drinking I went almost a year before I realized that I needed anti-depressants. The 12 steps were wonderful for my situational depression. Unfortunately they did not help much with the chemical depression. After nearly 8 years of sobriety I have finally found the right combination of anti-depressants and find that they work well for me right now. I also have been diagnosed as bi-polar type II. The doctor believes that is the reason for my mania during the paxil dosing.

I guess what I am saying is I fully support your decision to try life without anti-depressants and do hope that you find it works for you. I know that you are active in the program of AA and as long as your depression is not of the chemical imbalance type (or if it is a minor imbalance) then you should be alright with the help of your doctor. I am happy to see you are being smart about this and consulting with your physician as that is essential for anyone considering changing or coming off anti-depressants.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ron, I'm only relying on the information you have provided in your posts. It sounds as though you are leading a responsible, committed life at the moment. Certain forms of depression can be healed with the aid of medication and/or lifestyle changes.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be pessimistic. My suggestion would be to very gradually taper off your medication, and see how you feel along the way. Don't rush the process, and watch for any symptoms of reemerging depression; try to keep a positive mindset, as our moods are very often influenced by our outlook.

Bear in mind that, after prolonged antidepressant use, there may be a "rebound" effect, but this should only be transitory. As Prozac has a very long half life, many Paxil users cross-taper to Prozac in order to minimize discontinuation discomfort, and to control the withdrawal better.

I can relate to feeling lethargic and zombified while taking SSRIs. If you decide to keep taking the medication, lowering the dosage may help quite a bit; switching antidepressants may also help.

Just remember that, although SSRIs are handed out like candy, they are very powerful agents - take your time to taper off (this piece of advice comes from unfortunate personal experience).

I hope this helps Good luck.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ron, I was on Paxil for about 5 years. I really was not monitored while I was on it. I had originally got it through a psychiatrist that I saw only two times and then random doctors would write me refills. I took pretty low dosages. I was originally on 20 mg gradually lowered my dosage to 10 mg and then 5 mg and then got off of it completely. I had no withdrawals, but probably should have been supervised while taking the medication.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hmm this is something you would want to, and i am sure do, give careful consideration. You mentioned a gp, do you have a counselor to help you through this time of adjustment? I have been on seroxat for coming up to 6 months now (same as paxil just called seroxat in Europe).

I was on 20mg, gone down to 10mg this week, then 10mg every other day next week then off of it. I have been diagnosed with adult adhd and start concerta when i come off paxil. I've had no withdrawls but am in week 1 of coming off, you have taken it a lot longer though.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Powerful responses and I am grateful for this excellent experience from each of you. Finding my feet each morning is my first objective and centering the day based on the Steps we each live is the priority. I will keep you updated as to my progress if you do not mind. Without you folks, I would be lost.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do want you to keep us updated on your progress! I also understand completely where you are coming from. I too wanted to go the route of no antidepressants at all, but it just was not meant to be for me.

:ghug :ghug
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One more quick thing following Freedom's post, I am only coming off as my counselor thinks that it may have been the alcohol creating my anxiety and depression. If i need them i will be straight back on them.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same here. Actually, I tapered off my antidepressant a couple of months ago, but I crashed soon thereafter. So I'm back on it right now, and gradually making changes which will hopefully enable me to heal my depression for good.

If anyone is into books, I recommend "My Recovery Plan: A Personal Plan for Healing" by Charles Whitfield. The author outlines a basic plan for healing depression that is based on the 12 step program. His theory is that some forms of depression are rooted in unresolved trauma and a loss of spirituality. I think that anyone who has benefitted from the Steps may find the books written by this author quite useful.

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
One more quick thing following Freedom's post, I am only coming off as my counselor thinks that it may have been the alcohol creating my anxiety and depression. If i need them i will be straight back on them.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The last few days have been chaotic at best; bouts of mania and lack of confidence. On the one hand, I desire the freedom of no drugs, but as I go forward, I am getting sicker and more disturbing thoughts are entering in. The nightmares are almost unbearable. I cannot afford to relapse with this change so last night I started back on the Paxil. I will not jeodarize my sobriety and New Life for the attempt to untangle myself from this product at this time. It has been years since I bounced off the walls like this. One minute life is wonderful, the next my whole being is rotting away. Maybe it is possible, but I cannot go forward and risk everything it seems. Right back to all or nothing thinking and that is a huge warning sign to me. The physical stuff is annoying, but the mental circus is damn near unhinging me. So, back on I go and a visit with the GP, first thing. The CR version was an issue that brought me to the no drugs thinking; I'll go back to the regular Paxil at 25 mg and get back to living without this insanity. Wow, never in my thoughts did I expect to be rocked like this. Thankfully, with your support and the Power of a loving God, I didn't have to fall all of the way to a drink. Dangerous stuff this medication thing. is I have some peace this morning and that good.Best to all.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just a few thoughts here for you, Rufus. I've been on a few of the antidepressants over the years, Paxil being one of them. I just have no tolerance for any that left me feeling like a zombie. I did not have that problem with Paxil. The problem I had with Paxil is that it seemed to lose its effectiveness after about 4 years.

The one I have had the best results on, and the least side effects on is Cymbalta, and is the one I have been on for about a year now.

I never did do well on the extended release/controlled release version of any antidepressant either!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All or nothing thinking is really dangerous I hope your GP supports your decision to taper off Paxil. If you've been on this drug for many years, it may take a little time for your internal chemical balance to adapt to its absence.

In my experience, the best way to do this is to take the process in stride, patiently, without rushing it. I also find that it's important to not make a huge deal out of it; if your taper regime is safe and sensible, then there should be little, if nothing, to worry about except for the possibility of depression relapse. Paxil is available in liquid form, which makes it easy to drop the dosage in very small increments. Maybe you could consider that option?

I've read many online accounts about the evils of antidepressants. Though I respect those opinions, I'd rather rely on both my own experience and that of people I trust. They serve a purpose, but they are certainly not a cure-all.

I hope you're feeling a bit better
Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Important correction!

I have just realized that the Paxil oral suspension contains alcohol, so it might not be a good option after all. Apologies!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

PRESCRIBING INFORMATION
PAXILŽ
(paroxetine hydrochloride)
Tablets and Oral Suspension
DESCRIPTION
PAXIL (paroxetine hydrochloride) is an orally administered psychotropic drug. It is the
hydrochloride salt of a phenylpiperidine compound identified chemically as (-)-trans-4R-(4'-
fluorophenyl)-3S-[(3',4'-methylenedioxyphenoxy) methyl] piperidine hydrochloride hemihydrate
and has the empirical formula of C19H20FNO3•HCl•1/2H2O. The molecular weight is 374.8
(329.4 as free base). The structural formula of paroxetine hydrochloride is:
Paroxetine hydrochloride is an odorless, off-white powder, having a melting point range of
120° to 138°C and a solubility of 5.4 mg/mL in water.
Tablets: Each film-coated tablet contains paroxetine hydrochloride equivalent to paroxetine as
follows: 10 mg–yellow (scored); 20 mg–pink (scored); 30 mg–blue, 40 mg–green. Inactive
ingredients consist of dibasic calcium phosphate dihydrate, hypromellose, magnesium stearate,
polyethylene glycols, polysorbate 80, sodium starch glycolate, titanium dioxide, and 1 or more of
the following: D&C Red No. 30, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Blue No. 2, FD&C Yellow No. 6.
Suspension for Oral Administration: Each 5 mL of orange-colored, orange-flavored liquid
contains paroxetine hydrochloride equivalent to paroxetine, 10 mg. Inactive ingredients consist
of polacrilin potassium, microcrystalline cellulose, propylene glycol, glycerin, sorbitol, methyl
paraben, propyl paraben, sodium citrate dihydrate, citric acid anhydrate, sodium saccharin,
flavorings, FD&C Yellow No. 6, and simethicone emulsion, USP.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang on Rufus are you tapering off, you should be coming off slowly over months not stopping straight away, please talk to your GP about this:-)
Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This sounds a lot like initial withdrawal... I'm so sorry you're going through this nasty experience. I had really bad withdrawal from Paxil once, too; I cold-turkied and along with emotional wretchedness I went through something like the flu. Lots of vomiting with the brain-zapping and... ugh.
That was when I was 20 and was smart enough that I didn't need doctors to tell me what to do
Old 03-12-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Rufus. I am proud to see you are doing this in a responsible way, communicating with your doctor and watching your symptoms. I have tried several times in sobriety to come off the medications and unfortunately I did not do it in a responsible way. What I have found is that for me anti-depressants stop working after being on them for an extended period of time. I am currently on Cymbalta and have been on it almost 3 years now. It is still working well but the dose had to be raised last year to double the normal dose. It is the first anti-depressant I have taken that did not leave me with the zombie feeling. I realize side effects vary from person to person so my experience just that my experience. The only side effects I seem to have from the med is decreased sex drive and dry mouth. It might be worth discussing with your doctor the option of changing medications rather than just stopping them. I appreciate you keeping us posted. Take care. :ghug
Old 03-13-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Morning all; I again took the Paxil last night and am feeling better today; it is like night and day! The withdrawal symptoms were miserable and my thinking had dropped off the map. For now, I am back on the regular dosage and taking a day off to relax and rest up. My Doctor has changed me back to the regular Paxil for now and we will wait with that for a few weeks and see how I respond. If I still have that slow motion and no energy result, we will look at as suggest here, Cymbalta. In conversations with several folks in the same position as many of us, I learned that it is natural for us to want to end medication. I have no problem 99 days out of a hundred in the use of something that helps, but I can see now that the one day I wanted to end the usage based on feelings, I am barking up the wrong tree. Thank God my GP has been through this deal with me for the entirety of my sober years and has a good baseline to work from. Being cognizant of other’s reactions to me has been a lifesaver as well; never enough warning signs when I am tinkering when my mind! Judith, so good to see you here! My mind may be a more advanced hard drive, but the backup systems suck!