View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mattcake

Ron, I'm only relying on the information you have provided in your posts. It sounds as though you are leading a responsible, committed life at the moment. Certain forms of depression can be healed with the aid of medication and/or lifestyle changes.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be pessimistic. My suggestion would be to very gradually taper off your medication, and see how you feel along the way. Don't rush the process, and watch for any symptoms of reemerging depression; try to keep a positive mindset, as our moods are very often influenced by our outlook.

Bear in mind that, after prolonged antidepressant use, there may be a "rebound" effect, but this should only be transitory. As Prozac has a very long half life, many Paxil users cross-taper to Prozac in order to minimize discontinuation discomfort, and to control the withdrawal better.

I can relate to feeling lethargic and zombified while taking SSRIs. If you decide to keep taking the medication, lowering the dosage may help quite a bit; switching antidepressants may also help.

Just remember that, although SSRIs are handed out like candy, they are very powerful agents - take your time to taper off (this piece of advice comes from unfortunate personal experience).

I hope this helps Good luck.