View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Can't say I'm a real expert on this Ron, and have you consulted with your prescriber about tapering off and quitting?

I took Paxil for a short time in early recovery, but I was getting mixed info from several doctors, some said it was addictive while others felt it was perfectly safe. Either way, I ended up switching to EffexorXR and stayed on it for just over a year. Without it I couldn't sleep and my life was riddled with anxiety and panic attacks, most of them caused by fear, I didn't have a handle at all on my program at the time. My sponsor at the time didn't agree with me taking it, he felt that sobriety meant being clean from everything. My ex harped on me about always having to take some form of substance just to feel normal.

Seems like everything I took left me feeling just as you described, lethargic and depressive. But I can't imagine what my life would have been like without it. I read all the horror stories about what happened when people stopped taking AD's and SSRI's, so I made sure I was supervised. I tapered off easily, no side effects, and I'm happy to be free of anything that stimulates my mood, other than those things we practice as part of our program of course

I look forward to hearing more about your experience with this, and wish you the best. Please do it safely.