View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

I was on paxil for a few years...unfortunately my experience with it was not a good one. It made me manic....I bought a new house, a new car, worked 3 jobs at the same time, it was insanity. But I was also drinking at the time.

Once I stopped drinking I went almost a year before I realized that I needed anti-depressants. The 12 steps were wonderful for my situational depression. Unfortunately they did not help much with the chemical depression. After nearly 8 years of sobriety I have finally found the right combination of anti-depressants and find that they work well for me right now. I also have been diagnosed as bi-polar type II. The doctor believes that is the reason for my mania during the paxil dosing.

I guess what I am saying is I fully support your decision to try life without anti-depressants and do hope that you find it works for you. I know that you are active in the program of AA and as long as your depression is not of the chemical imbalance type (or if it is a minor imbalance) then you should be alright with the help of your doctor. I am happy to see you are being smart about this and consulting with your physician as that is essential for anyone considering changing or coming off anti-depressants.