View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RufusACanal

Ending the use of Paxil

Paxil has been a steady help in my life for several years; I use the CR at a medium dosage and have tried both lower and higher doses. As a recovered Alcoholic, my life has become what I never dreamed it would be otherwise. I have noticed the Paxil over the last six months seems to contribute to a lethargic and depressive mood so I am slowly decreasing my dosage to end its use.

I have used one form or another of the depression medications for over a decade and with over six years of sobriety; I do not feel the need to have a pill decide my mood anymore. Maybe more than anything is the thought, that I no longer need the medication because my mind was more influenced by the Alcoholism rather than classic mental illness; i.e. depression. I have spoken to my GP, who prescribes the Paxil and he is of the mind to wait and see how I will react. I am also aware of the denial process associated with mental illness. My wife has in a roundabout way stated that I will relapse and I would like to belay her fears, but not at the cost of being a robot for the rest of my life. Your experience in this regard would be most helpful.