Anxiety, Sugar & Caffeine - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy

Anxiety, Sugar & Caffeine

Why do I crave sugar and caffeine when I feel the onset of anxiety, if sugar and caffeine only make me feel worse by fueling the anxiety?
Old 02-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I struggle with it, yesterday I was chowing on chocolate and other sweets while having anxiety over a multitude of things. Like with alcohol, I'm fueling my blood sugar levels and filling a hole within myself. It helps when I don't have those temptations within reach, or have something else to take my mind off of it, sometimes just picking up a book or magazine is enough to distract me from the craving.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
Pathwaytofree (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I struggle with it, yesterday I was chowing on chocolate and other sweets while having anxiety over a multitude of things. Like with alcohol, I'm fueling my blood sugar levels and filling a hole within myself. It helps when I don't have those temptations within reach, or have something else to take my mind off of it, sometimes just picking up a book or magazine is enough to distract me from the craving.
Thanks Astro.

How do you find that space between the panicked feeling of needing sugar/caffeine when anxious, with the remembering to have the thought in the mind to distract yourself instead with a book or magazine?
Old 02-22-2019, 04:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Often I give in to the craving, I'm by no means perfect at this, and to be effective I have to remove all sweets and other processed foods from my home and workplace. What I've found to work is a "no obvious sweets" diet, anything containing sugar or corn syrup in the first three ingredients is a no-go. I've worked that before, right now admittedly it's eluding me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Pathwaytofree (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Often I give in to the craving, I'm by no means perfect at this, and to be effective I have to remove all sweets and other processed foods from my home and workplace. What I've found to work is a "no obvious sweets" diet, anything containing sugar or corn syrup in the first three ingredients is a no-go. I've worked that before, right now admittedly it's eluding me.
Thanks, Astro.

I generally don't keep sweets and processed foods at home. If we do have something, it depends on what it is and what's going on in my life at the time if I can let it be or if I crave it.

I know for a lot of people the "no sweets diet" works. That's what OA does. I've tried it and it did help the cravings dissipate. But I sort of personally would rather live a "sweets in moderation" and just figure out how to handle it when those cravings hit. It seems when I'm very depressed or very anxious, that's when I strongly crave sugar and caffeine. It's frustrating, because I actually enjoy eating healthy.
Astro (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Leader

I thoroughly enjoy healthy eating too, but it's very difficult in my workplaces, there tends to be a lot of not-so-healthy options and the nature of my work motivates me to reach for something when my anxiety is running high to quell the cravings. My wife and I both have health issues that stem from our dietary choices too, and it's surprising to me how often we conveniently choose to ignore what we know would be the healthy decision for us.
Pathwaytofree (02-26-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
Why do I crave sugar and caffeine when I feel the onset of anxiety, if sugar and caffeine only make me feel worse by fueling the anxiety?
Because fear, which is behind anxiety, demands more of itself.
We are addicted to our defects.
It's the ball rolling. It's progressive.
So now the purpose is to wind the fear back down.
QltyAngl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QltyAngl7 For This Useful Post:
Pathwaytofree (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QltyAngl7 View Post
Because fear, which is behind anxiety, demands more of itself.
We are addicted to our defects.
It's the ball rolling. It's progressive.
So now the purpose is to wind the fear back down.
That's interesting you say that "we are addicted to our defects." I understand what you're saying. First of all, I personally dislike the term "defects". I am not defective. Secondly, I would much rather view it as fear, anxiety, depression, etc being a default setting that I am set on, and I need to try to reboot.

How do you wind your fear back down?