Notices

Gabapentin

Old 10-04-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gabapentin

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with GAD when I was 9. When I was in my late teens I was put on Paxil, which worked tremendously well for me. It essentially gave me my life back. I've been on it since, increasing the dosage as needed throughout the years. I'm now 35.

The past 3 years I've noticed the anxiety and depression returning (which, coincidentally, was when I began to start drinking in order to deal with the symptoms). I now know it did nothing but compound the original problem tenfold. I do take xanax when really needed but I use this sparingly because I'm terrified of becoming addicted.

My doctor would like me to continue taking the Paxil (at this stage of the game coming off it would be a nightmare) but also wants me to try Gabapentin. She said it will work as a mood stabilizer and help with the anxiety, and also the urges to drink as I begin my journey of moving away from alcohol.

I'd really like to try this but of course I have to research everything, and I've been pretty disheartened to read some negative things about it. It's supposed to be "weight neutral" and non-addictive, but I've seen a lot of ppl experience significant weight gain and terrible withdrawals when trying to come off of it.

Has anyone here had a positive experience with Gabapentin? I know medical advice can't be given here, asking for people's experiences.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
No experience with this Linners but I hope some of our members are able to share their experiences, and thank you for being respectful of the medical advice rule.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gabapentin is an anti-epileptic medication, also called an anticonvulsant. It affects chemicals and nerves in the body that are involved in the cause of seizures and some types of pain. Like lots of other meds, research shows it can be helpful for other conditions. I've used Gabapentin (Neurontin) and so has my wife for radiating nerve pain. It helped both of us. Obviously you should check with your doctor who prescribed it about your valid thoughts.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be careful with that cocktail of pills mixed with alcohol.

Especially the xanax + alcohol. That can be a deadly combo. I'm surprised your doctor will prescribe it if s/he knows you drink.

The first and most important thing is to put down the drink. Then your Paxil will work as intended.

Are you ready to stop drinking?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Bimini,
I'm not an every day drinker, and never take the xanax on days when I had been drinking. I have been very careful not to mix the two. Xanax is not something I would want to get in the habit of taking on a regular basis, either. It's an as-needed medication that I have on reserve to help with panic attacks.

My doctor knows the deal.

I'm ready to stop drinking.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, that's good news.

One day at a time, then. It will continue to get better with continuous sobriety - but it does take time. Months, not days.

It was nearly a year before my anxiety went away - or at least back to pre-drink levels. I still have to be pretty careful to not have too much caffeine (2 is my limit) and to limit sugar as much as possible. Nutrition is my number one tool for anti-anxiety. Protein, vegetables.

The other things that help me are breathing exercises, meditation, prayer and exercise. A 30 minute walk outdoors every day is tremendously helpful to me. It clears my mind when my mind wants to spin.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would stay away from dr google. Gabapentin does have many off label uses, with anxiety and helping to get off alcohol are a couple of them.
Personally I would listen to your doc and see how things go, and of course get off the booze.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gaba and Paxil have been life-savers for me.

The Gaba just cuts through GAD like a hot knife through butter.

I have been taking it now for 18 years.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Honestly I would prefer to take no medication at all. I don't like the idea of knowing I need it. But several doctors have told me that I do in fact have a chemical imbalance, as opposed to situational anxiety/depression, especially given that I have been living with this since childhood.
Truth be told, a couple years ago was probably the right time for a medication adjustment or an add-on, but I was so hesitant to do so and ended up discovering that drinking made me feel really GOOD (temporarily at least)...a quick fix. I def didn't anticipate it making me feel so much crappier in the long run. There is something about knowing I need meds that makes me feel weak, even though I'm aware that when you find the right one it can be life changing.
Pouring myself a drink, sucking it up and pulling myself together seemed like the thing to do. Uh. NOPE.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on pregabalin aka Lyrica which I believe is similar to gabapentin, weight gain CAN be part of it but a healthy lifestyle takes care of that.

Withdrawals can apparently be horrific if not done properly via a doctor and taper off.

I'd much rather weight gain over anxiety any day.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh P.S
Nooooooo booze whilst on gaba drugs, VERY dangerous mix!
Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
Thanks guys. Honestly I would prefer to take no medication at all. I don't like the idea of knowing I need it. But several doctors have told me that I do in fact have a chemical imbalance, as opposed to situational anxiety/depression, especially given that I have been living with this since childhood.
Truth be told, a couple years ago was probably the right time for a medication adjustment or an add-on, but I was so hesitant to do so and ended up discovering that drinking made me feel really GOOD (temporarily at least)...a quick fix. I def didn't anticipate it making me feel so much crappier in the long run. There is something about knowing I need meds that makes me feel weak, even though I'm aware that when you find the right one it can be life changing.
Pouring myself a drink, sucking it up and pulling myself together seemed like the thing to do. Uh. NOPE.
I take a contrary view about needing meds.

If I have a problem that meds can fix, it's no problem at all.

Am I weak?

Perhaps.

Do I have a chemical imbalance that can be corrected with meds?

Undoubtedly.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, Sober, I know what you're saying. I've learned to mostly accept it but I still have these times where I wish it wasn't the case. But, everyone has their issues I suppose and this is mine, and I'm doing what needs to be done.

I took my first dose this morning, about 2 hours ago. I don't feel much different at all. The dr has me on a low dosage to start, 100 mg once a day for a week and then twice daily after that. So we'll see. Hoping it helps. Been feeling really overwhelmed lately, my head is spinning and my thoughts are everywhere. Having trouble focusing on just one task at a time, and haven't slept well the last 2 nites.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope you get to where you need to be with or without meds.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hows it going with the meds’ now?

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
Yeah, Sober, I know what you're saying. I've learned to mostly accept it but I still have these times where I wish it wasn't the case. But, everyone has their issues I suppose and this is mine, and I'm doing what needs to be done.

I took my first dose this morning, about 2 hours ago. I don't feel much different at all. The dr has me on a low dosage to start, 100 mg once a day for a week and then twice daily after that. So we'll see. Hoping it helps. Been feeling really overwhelmed lately, my head is spinning and my thoughts are everywhere. Having trouble focusing on just one task at a time, and haven't slept well the last 2 nites.
Hi there. I was really interested to see how your doing on the meds, is it helping you? Xx
Old 05-04-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was taking 300 or 600 3 times daily and then it was up'd to 900 3 times daily and I don't know if it was because of this medication but I felt like I was losing my mind.

I started taking it as I recall when I was in-patient alcoholism treatment and I thought it was working alright. I don't know about it anymore.

I feel like offing myself some times lately and I don't know if it's related to the Gabapentin (Neurontin) use or what but I can't get answers.

My muscles feel like they're "rotting" and I don't know if this is related to the Gabapentin or not - I schedule visits with psychiatrists and family medicine doctors and to no avail.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been on celexa (generic citaprolam) and last year I drank with it, which I never have. I have been on celexa for 15 years, and was sober until I tried to drink to help cope with my anxiety and depression. Then I thought my celexa wasn't working, because I continued to feel worse.

My psychiatrist changed my medication to Zoloft and it did not work for me. I was going crazy. So I saw another psychiatrist, and I told her my situation, that I had resumed some drinking, and meds were not working. Should I add Wellbutrin, what? He was honest and said, you need to quit drinking alcohol - go back to your original, Celexa, and give it time again. And it worked. It worked, I am so glad I gave it another try and got a 2nd opinion.

I have never taken Gabapentin, so I cannot comment on that.

Feel Better. Can relate. I still struggle, just try to have more better days than bad.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
I was taking 300 or 600 3 times daily and then it was up'd to 900 3 times daily and I don't know if it was because of this medication but I felt like I was losing my mind.

I started taking it as I recall when I was in-patient alcoholism treatment and I thought it was working alright. I don't know about it anymore.

I feel like offing myself some times lately and I don't know if it's related to the Gabapentin (Neurontin) use or what but I can't get answers.

My muscles feel like they're "rotting" and I don't know if this is related to the Gabapentin or not - I schedule visits with psychiatrists and family medicine doctors and to no avail.
I sure hope you seek help, amigo.

I'm confident that help is out there and that you can find it.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post

If it's weighing you down that much I hope you'll reach out and talk to someone Amnesiac - lots of crisis numbers here.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ease-read.html

A second opinion might not hurt either?

D
Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well you know what I realized after my mother hanged herself? How I see my father now? No one cares about anything or anyone. That's the reality of this life. My dad has nothing anymore since she killed herself. His other children are long gone and pay him almost no attention. If it wasn't for me being a loser and living in his house he might hardly have any interaction with people.

I read something in I think 'Day by Day' recently to the effect of "There is no future there is only now" it just rings hollow to me.

I don't have any friends, my father is my best friend. And he's given up on life. His life-partner (my mom) hanged herself....why the hell shouldn't I just say to hell with this life and go on the street and drink?

Everything is going to fail. Maybe you work your butt off and get a house, but there is no guarantee your health (or sanity) will last so your house that you worked tirelessly gets seized or something...for what?

I just don't know if any of this life makes sense...or is worth the hassle.

I'm going on 16 months sober (twice as long as my longest ever stretch of sobriety) and I am getting physically worse, not better. This isn't how this was supposed to be.