Thread: Gabapentin
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Linners820

Gabapentin

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with GAD when I was 9. When I was in my late teens I was put on Paxil, which worked tremendously well for me. It essentially gave me my life back. I've been on it since, increasing the dosage as needed throughout the years. I'm now 35.

The past 3 years I've noticed the anxiety and depression returning (which, coincidentally, was when I began to start drinking in order to deal with the symptoms). I now know it did nothing but compound the original problem tenfold. I do take xanax when really needed but I use this sparingly because I'm terrified of becoming addicted.

My doctor would like me to continue taking the Paxil (at this stage of the game coming off it would be a nightmare) but also wants me to try Gabapentin. She said it will work as a mood stabilizer and help with the anxiety, and also the urges to drink as I begin my journey of moving away from alcohol.

I'd really like to try this but of course I have to research everything, and I've been pretty disheartened to read some negative things about it. It's supposed to be "weight neutral" and non-addictive, but I've seen a lot of ppl experience significant weight gain and terrible withdrawals when trying to come off of it.

Has anyone here had a positive experience with Gabapentin? I know medical advice can't be given here, asking for people's experiences.