Notices

The MIZZ Episodes ..... 2023

Old 03-04-2023, 07:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Mizz, I just love your insight, self-awareness, situational awareness, determination and tenacity - not to mention your sense of humor.

You have helped so many people by sharing your journey.

Thank you and power on.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

THANK YOU, Soberleigh!

Keeping the structure and doing all the things that generate happiness and health. Chant, run, write, clean, read. Positive journal. Personal Journal. Connect with friends. Get on this forum and participate. So on and so forth. All the little things add up and it makes a huge difference. I am noticing the difference and feeling much more at ease with myself and with my life.

Now that I think about it more clearly, I probably needed an extended break for quite awhile. It was tough working through the pandemic. Tough getting sober. Just all around not a good time for a few years. I gave it my best and got as healthy as I could in the environment I was in. I am proud of myself for what was accomplished. I maintained positivity. Worked towards change. Just kept going. Im happy to have hit the wall and surrendered! Like, this **** is just not good enough anymore!

All of that being said, a person cant make a significant lasting change without changing their environment. An environment can impact us for better or worse. I fell into the latter part. I didnt know it. I couldnt see it. I was just in the thick of it. Whatever role I played in the environment was not one I could continue to play. I made a vow to myself once I left. I would no longer engage in the way I engaged and I would look at my role, in all its negative and positives and move forward. Just forward. There is no looking back. Now, I wake in the morning and Im excited for what is ahead. What is ahead? I dont know but Its going to be awesome!

I ran across this quote:

Never settle for anything less than you deserve. Its not pride. Its self-respect.

I can get with that! I said that quote to myself many times today and then gave myself a high five. We should all be high fiving ourselves daily! It really shows the self that you believe in yourself. Does that even make sense?

886 days sober.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Much love, Mizz
♥️🤓
Old 03-14-2023, 02:56 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It really shows the self that you believe in yourself.
Makes total sense.

The time after leaving a job is pretty intense! I'm happy for you that you left.

LOL at high fiving ourself. How does that even work?? The mental image made me
Old 03-14-2023, 04:45 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Old 03-14-2023, 12:09 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Exactly, BB! Exactly.
I took my left hand and high fived my right hand! It was kind of like a cheerleading clap. GO TEAM, MIZZ!

Thanks Free! I appreciate you.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

All is going well.

Sober and doing all the things to keep myself grounded and healthy. Im becoming more cognizant of some internal challenges. Therapy is allowing me to unpack, receive tools, and have a place to learn more about this brain of mine. I had a minor set back with intrusive thoughts recently but I am able to identify that heightened stress does create this landscape in my brain. Its not fun. Its not detrimental though. Its something that I get to work with. Its a challenge. I may always have this sort of thinking when stress become a bit more heightened. Its okay. I can work with it. Why did I have the setback? Information was given that was not valuable to me and my life. My brain picked up the info and decided to think about it. However, there is nothing to be done about this info. Im not there to defend myself. Its just bad behavior from one person to others about my character. I then tried to get said info out of my brain and before I knew it I was in intrusive thought land while trying to fall asleep. What is the lesson? The information I was given is not my business. I cant control others. I can choose to behave differently and I did. I just had nothing to say on the matter in real life. Internally my insides got a bit scrambled though....... I still have nothing to say. This is karma.

So, the subject matter doesn't matter all that much. What matters is how I process and how I will learn to process moving forward.

Criticism is something that I have been researching and learning more about. How I internalize criticism. How criticism is something that has created negative thinking in my brain. Learning the difference between "feedback" and "criticism" has been really helpful. Not many people know the difference and this is where things can get tricky for the person on the receiving end. Helpful feedback vs Destructive criticism. There is a lot to learn in that department. Arming myself with knowledge and becoming skilled in this area will help for me to stay level and grounded. The criticizer should be an expert or at least knowledgeable in the thing they are critiquing. Also, do I think the criticism has merit? What do I think? I never thought I had the option to decided if this stuff was true for me. Being that I am highly sensitive to criticism due to my upbringing I have to take extra care of my insides when this comes into play. I know.....People learn this early on. I didn't. That's okay. I can learn now. Learn on my own time and in a pace that works. That is healthy. When writing about this I feel a bit small...... Like, here I am at 43 years old soothing that inner child of mine and saying "You get to learn this now. We are going to be okay here. We can take this one small step at a time"

So, I think that is what I have been doing. Learning. Running everyday. Writing. Reading a lot. Being productive around the house and purging things that are not wanted or needed. Fixed the lawnmower again. Listening to podcasts. Being me.

904 days sober.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:43 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

All of that to say....

I think moving forward, in my professional life, it may be appropriate to ask about how the company handles solutions, feedback, and expectations. I Think these are good questions. Is the person "managing" knowledgeable, or at least have a basic sense of what is going on in the area they are critiquing? If the person is to be a "mentor" are they able to give constructive feedback in order for me to grow my skillset to their approved standards? Otherwise......The word inept comes to mind and why would I want to receive criticism from a company that is inept in the job I have been hired to do? That just doesn't make sense at all. Am I asking for to much? I don't think so.

I think I might be thinking too deeply about this .......

Its just logic. Logic.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

hm.
So.
In a new job, the supervisor should have worked out all his or her own ish and be 100% healed and healthy.

I would like to work for that person. Where would one find this kind of company?

Unless you are self-employed and have virtually zero contact with customers I would think this would be a very difficult ask.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:10 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
hm.
So.
In a new job, the supervisor should have worked out all his or her own ish and be 100% healed and healthy.

I would like to work for that person. Where would one find this kind of company?

Unless you are self-employed and have virtually zero contact with customers I would think this would be a very difficult ask.
This made me laugh. You're right.

Its an alternate Universe for sure.

Ill settle for basic knowledge and comprehension of said job.
I can lower my standards here.

Old 03-31-2023, 09:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

🤓♥️
Old 04-01-2023, 10:13 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Oh my.. it looks like I have some catching up to do here. I thought you'd taken a bit of a break, then with my travels and getting sick I kind of went into maintenance mode, but I really appreciate what you have written, so I'm going to focus on this first post I missed while I was traveling, then read more later. SO much good stuff here.

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
Now that I think about it more clearly, I probably needed an extended break for quite awhile. It was tough working through the pandemic. Tough getting sober. Just all around not a good time for a few years. I gave it my best and got as healthy as I could in the environment I was in. I am proud of myself for what was accomplished. I maintained positivity. Worked towards change. Just kept going. Im happy to have hit the wall and surrendered! Like, this **** is just not good enough anymore!
Yes, you REALLY did need it and I am SO PROUD OF YOU for doing what you needed to do for yourself, Mizz. You hit the breaking point and could not bend yourself any further. We get so deep we can't see the forest for the trees. Often it takes a crisis and I love the saying "never let a good crisis go to waste" - Winston Churchill. It is so true. A crisis can be the impetus for change and personal growth, but only if we act on it as you did.This really resonates with me, because I also know I have to make some big changes but have been unable to do so. But this last trip wore me out, especially the travel, and makes me realize I need to focus on some priorities for myself.

All of that being said, a person cant make a significant lasting change without changing their environment. An environment can impact us for better or worse. I fell into the latter part. I didnt know it. I couldnt see it. I was just in the thick of it. Whatever role I played in the environment was not one I could continue to play. I made a vow to myself once I left. I would no longer engage in the way I engaged and I would look at my role, in all its negative and positives and move forward. Just forward. There is no looking back. Now, I wake in the morning and Im excited for what is ahead. What is ahead? I dont know but Its going to be awesome!
Yes, great point. Often a change in environment creates better awareness of our situation, and brings clarity about what needs to be done. Some of us just have difficulty implementing, haha.

I ran across this quote:

Never settle for anything less than you deserve. Its not pride. Its self-respect.

I can get with that! I said that quote to myself many times today and then gave myself a high five. We should all be high fiving ourselves daily! It really shows the self that you believe in yourself. Does that even make sense?
Yes, it does, and it's a lesson I struggle with sometimes, especially in relationships. Another great reminder.. so many thanks for sharing your hard-earned insights. I so appreciate.

Congrats on so much amazing sobriety, Mizz, which you have put to fantastic benefit.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Awesome Books I have read recently!

Living Wabi Sabi- Taro Gold

Happiness becomes you- Tina Turner (That's right! Tina Turner, Ya'll! Ive read this book 3 times now)

Spare- Prince Harry (His life of a Prince was rather abysmal. Im so happy he lives in California now)

Think Like a Monk- Jay Shetty (wonderful read and also places emphasis on routine and discipline)

The Emotionally Abused Woman - Beverly Engle ( lots of insight, clarity, language. Identifying and moving forward with boundaries)

The Emotionally Abusive Relationship (its similar to the book above. Maybe a few different approaches or tools. Also very insightful and helpful. The more knowledge the better)

Thanks for the feedback ( Douglas Stone and Sheila Heen) This book has been a bit eye opening and has allowed me to think logically about criticism. Most people are not good in the receiving or giving criticism department. I dont mind admitting that I can use some muscle here. It takes skill though. Skills. Im getting those now.)

A Baptist Preachers Buddhist Teacher- Lawrence Edward Carter, Sr. (Im between this book and the one above. SUPERB! )

I wonder what else I can get my hands on?!?

If anyone has any book recommendations please drop them on this thread.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:26 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks, Advbike, Free, BB, for the support.
Lets keep on keeping on.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:45 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Mizz

Thanks for info you posted that lead me to Daisaku Ikeda

"Attaining Buddhahood is not so much a “destination” or a special “state,” but a path, or orbit. To firmly establish ourselves in this orbit―to “attain Buddhahood”―means to solidify in our lives a spirit of yearning for the happiness of oneself and others, and to continuously take constructive action with that spirit." - Daisaku Ikeda

Keep on keeping on youse peeps
Old 04-02-2023, 06:21 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Hi Mizz

Thanks for info you posted that lead me to Daisaku Ikeda

"Attaining Buddhahood is not so much a “destination” or a special “state,” but a path, or orbit. To firmly establish ourselves in this orbit―to “attain Buddhahood”―means to solidify in our lives a spirit of yearning for the happiness of oneself and others, and to continuously take constructive action with that spirit." - Daisaku Ikeda

Keep on keeping on youse peeps
Wonderful! Yes, Daisaku Ikeda is the third President of the Soka Gakkai. He has written countless books. I do hope you find his words to be of inspiration. He has certainly helped me along the way for the past few years!

Old 04-02-2023, 07:46 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Diet and food Explained, by William Porter. Or Food and Diet Explained, idk. Things I already knew, but a great read and have it on kindle, so it’s a super handy reference.

12 Rules for Life, by Jordan Peterson (he also has had a lot of You Tube discussions, interviews that are AWESOME.

Kick those butt cheeks as you run today, Mizz 😍

Old 04-02-2023, 11:05 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Free- I did try the "butt kick exercise" today and I also am not very good at that particular skill.

Im going to get good at it though. Yes indeed.

This is the month of "Identify and conquer"

Ill check out those books. The Twelve Rules for Life sounds very intriguing. The Diet explained book also sounds very interesting. Thank you.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:09 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi Mizz, have you read Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind?
Old 04-05-2023, 03:29 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

You are doing great