Notices

Bads night sleep feels like a hangover

Old 03-04-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better late than never

Bads night sleep feels like a hangover

Wasn't sure where to put this. But one thing I noticed is after close to 11 months sober I sleep better but when I do get a bads night sleep it almost feels like a hangover all day long. The funny thing is I was used to not getting the greatest nights of sleep like if I caught 5hrs I thought I was doing good. But I woke up in the middle of the night feeling weird and stayed awake for the next 3hrs and was finally able to doze of for maybe 40mins and now I feel like I have a hangover today. Luckily I don't have to be anywhere because if I had to work I would be really close to using a sick day.

Anybody else get this?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your sleep improves. But, it's often a problem in early recovery and it seems to take awhile for your body to adjust. Try to keep a regular bedtime routine and get some exercise during the day, if you can.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by TheSoberNord View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this. But one thing I noticed is after close to 11 months sober I sleep better but when I do get a bads night sleep it almost feels like a hangover all day long. The funny thing is I was used to not getting the greatest nights of sleep like if I caught 5hrs I thought I was doing good. But I woke up in the middle of the night feeling weird and stayed awake for the next 3hrs and was finally able to doze of for maybe 40mins and now I feel like I have a hangover today. Luckily I don't have to be anywhere because if I had to work I would be really close to using a sick day.

Anybody else get this?
Yes I actually had this feeling on saturday and have had it a few times since quitting. It's an odd feeling. I find it's normally a combination of things, like when I've eaten alot of sugar and salt, not drank enough water and lack of sleep. Which is a great reminder for me to sort out my diet. It was my birthday on the weekend and I ate pizza & cake 3 days straight, whoops.

Hope you feel better soon
Old 03-04-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better late than never

I got a way better sleep schedule now than I used to and I've been taking better care of my diet and exercise routine. Just having one of those days I guess.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Better late than never

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Yes I actually had this feeling on saturday and have had it a few times since quitting. It's an odd feeling. I find it's normally a combination of things, like when I've eaten alot of sugar and salt, not drank enough water and lack of sleep. Which is a great reminder for me to sort out my diet. It was my birthday on the weekend and I ate pizza & cake 3 days straight, whoops.

Hope you feel better soon
Well i have been eating better but the last couple nights I've been making dinner for everyone and I know they wont eat tuna and salad so I've been making foods they would like while trying to stick to what I can eat but it's a little more fattier then what I've been used too. Guess that could be the culprit.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think what you eat has a huge bearing on that "feeling" - especially sugar. Lack of hydration also an utter killer. I don't find greasy food as much of an issue cos it usually keeps the hunger at bay and lets me sleep. Unless I've had a Dominos or giant kebab. Then it weighs me down.

Sleep is one thing I take really seriously. I just don't get how people stay up and mentally engaged til like midnight and then get up at 7AM. That hour to wind down and the inevitable waking up in middle of the night means you'd be really lucky to get 6. I have to give myself time for 9 and hope I get 7. 8 practically never seems to happen.

As for it feeling like a hangover. There's no doubt it's an unpleasant feeling but the kind of hangovers I was getting were way more severe than feeling a bit off from lack of sleep.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sleep issues. Ive been known to have them.
For awhile there I was awake at 3 am or a little later and it was BRUTAL.
I understand the hangover feeling for sure but the alcohol hangovers I experienced were much much worse
It could be a number of things and if it keeps up perhaps some blood work, hormone level check etc is in order.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I noticed this when my children were babies. Despite the totally dry pregnancy followed by two years of breastfeeding each (over 5 years in total completely alcohol free) the sleepless nights always felt like a massive hangovers. Only they are not. Once you get to sleep, you fully recover. It takes much more than a good night of sleep with alcohol.

It took me about 18 months to start sleeping better after I quit. Now I feel rested and renewed every morning. Sleepless nights always give me a nasty edge, but never the anxiety, shame and sadness of alcohol (or the 3 am horrors)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think a lack of sleep is a component of a hangover. At least my understanding of it, alcohol prevents you from hitting all of your sleep cycles. So even though it may have appeared to us that we were asleep for the next 6 or 7 hours after drinking, we weren't getting all of the benefits of sleep.

I believe that's why really heavy, chronic drinkers get the DTs. They went so long without being able to sleep properly.