Notices

Don't think I will live through the night.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That's awesome that obladi was so generous in your time of need and its great you made it...but remember the danger zone hasn't yet arrived, days 3-5 can be seizure time. With a history of dt's why take the chance? It's just another day at the office for the medical personnel, get yourself off to a safe start?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Thanks to everyone who was here to help an addict who still suffers.

Rob, you made it through one night. If you've had DTs before, they could easily be worse this time. And they might not show up for a few days.

PLEASE seek medical help.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Rob told me a couple of hours ago he was on the way to the ER. So we may not hear from him for a few days.

Thanks, Team SR! You did a good job of convincing him to get help.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks O

D
Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Its very comforting and empowering to me that I have people here that have my back.

I'm honored to have theirs.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
So very good that you made it through, Rob.

Yes, we are here to listen.

And God Bless You, Obladi!
I did make it over to the hospital. Been here about 6 hours lots of fluid bags and Ativan.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob762 View Post
I did make it over to the hospital. Been here about 6 hours lots of fluid bags and Ativan.
Thoughts and prayers your way, Rob.

I am so glad that you are being cared for.

We care, too.

Stay close.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Good Stuff Rob ... seeya back in the chat room soon.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Please keep us updated. I am so glad you are in the ER. I know what you are going through.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You are in my thoughts and prayers Rob! Hang in there!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So glad you are safe.

Do let us know how you are.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am so relieved and glad that you sought medical help! That was a great idea and I know it wasn't an easy thing to do. Take care of yourself today and be kind to yourself as well. I hope to see you back here soon!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hope that you are feeling better today, too, Rob!
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob762 View Post
Very wise decision.

Been there, done that, tried toughing out my first withdrawal on my own at home, alone with only my dogs for company.

When I finally decided being honest & forthright about my drinking to the docs at the hospital and letting go of my ego was better than dying at home, alone, from withdrawal . . . I called an ambulance. Turns out I also had acute pancreatitis.

Ever since that event, I've gotten honest with myself and others about my drinking. My doctor's already knew I had a problem anyway. I left the hospital after 5 day's detox and went to inpatient treatment, i.e. - rehab.

Good for you for going to the hospital. Good for those here who helped him see it was the right decision.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I should still be in the hospital, not sure why they let me out so soon. I guess I fooled them with my level of coherence and functionality. I went in with a .25 BAC after many hours of not drinking. Lady said I was easily above .4 before coming in.
Unfortunately I live in the easiest place in the country to become an alcoholic. And the hardest place to get help. Starting to get the jolts and the shakes pretty bad. Freezing cold. Every time I drift off I practically fly out of my bed. The scariest part is it's usually gasping for air because my brain stops encouraging me to breathe. I know what I'm in for next but I just don't know the level it will be at. It's crazy how fast they hit, I was feeling pretty reasonable couple hours ago
Old 01-18-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Rob. Glad to hear you are with us, sorry they discharged you so soon. I hope they have given you some medication to help the withdrawal?
Take care, stay with us, keep posting. Keep the liquids up, plenty of water.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I got discharged once too early. I went back 4 hours later. I called my health care system's 24 hr nursing line - at 2 am - described what I was going thru. The nurse told me to return to the hospital, right away. And literally told me - not to drive myself. If I had no family to do it - and I don't - being that it was 2 am unless I knew a night owl who would be cool with me making a 2 am call . . . She told me to call for an ambulance.

Not an understatement to say the paramedics who saw me earlier that day were less than pleased to have to come back to get me.

Doctors make mistakes. Or they're too busy to hear us. Or we don't - or can't - fully explain or articulate how dependent we have become on alcohol to see letting us go too soon is dangerous.

Last time I was given 5 day's worth of a valium Rx to take at home, with instructions to return if symptoms worsened.

Were you given a benzo script to fill? (Ativan, Valium, etc) What discharge instructions did you get?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Were you given a benzo script to fill? (Ativan, Valium, etc) What discharge instructions did you get?[/QUOTE]

They kept the Ativan going through me for several hours. Sent me home with about 5 days of Librium which I'm guessing is pretty much in the same class as Xanax? No discharge instructions to speak of. Just told me not to hit my head on the door on the way out
Old 01-18-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Librium is also a benzo. Like that Ativan. DON'T DRINK on it. The combined effects of alcohol and a benzo is magnified tenfold. Ask me how I know . . .

I'm surprised the hospital didn't give you some sort of written instructions. Like take the Librium every x amount of hours; watch for x symptoms, and if they return or get worse seek medical attention.

Usually I'd get all that, plus instructions to make an appointment with my family doc, an admonition to reduce my alcohol consumption, or cease drinking entirely in my later periods, and a list of some sort of "stop drinking resources". Phone numbers for the county drug & alcohol resources, treatment centers, AA. Something.

This hospital sent you home with nothing but an Rx? Seriously?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Actually I just discovered they did, just never had anybody sit down with me. I got some papers I assumed were discharge papers or something. Stuffed them in my bag ( I was pretty out of it). Just pulled it all out and sure enough there seems to be some good info in there. I'll seriously look into it all. I'll definitely not be drinking on the benzos. Even if I tried Iv'e had my money, loose change, and dignity confiscated by a friend. I could start walking to the closest store 5 mi away and become that guy I promised I never would. Ain't happening. They even took the mouthwash out of the house. Not that I would ever touch that ****...right?